The Student Room Group

Physics: Durham vs. St. Andrew; second year entry into Cambridge/Imperial

Hi

I just got rejected from Cambridge and Imperial for natural sciences/physics (i got really nervous at the interviews).

Now I would like to ask whether

a.) you would rather recommend Durham or St. Andrews to study at

b.) it is possible to re-apply to these universities: I know they dont participate in Ucas Adjustment, so would I have to apply for next year? If yes, is it possible to start at e.g. Durham and then change directly into the second year at Cambrigde/Imperial?

Thank you for any answers
No, you can't swap into different universities for the second year, as far as I know, and the notion is fairly offensive really.

If you want to go to Cambridge, then take a gap year and re-apply.
Durham and St Andrews are both fantastic institutions, however, and you would both have an excellent education, and a good time.
That said; having a degree from Cambridge would open a lot of doors. Not that Durham and St Andrews wouldn't too, but not with the same ring.

It depends on what you want. After having been through a similar experience, the concerns you're having have stopped being significant to me. I study at Durham, and I don't regret not trying again for Oxbridge. It's something, I think, that feels important at the time, but when you think about what you're getting from university (an education), the differences aren't really that large.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending