The Student Room Group

UK Hindus are appealling for recognition

Scroll to see replies

Huh, learn something every day.
Reply 81
*yawn* Sorry dude, can't be bothered to respond quote by quote :smile:

But-- i was talking about feeling because in this discussion feeling is important. The israelis FEEL vulnerable, and they FEEL hatred for the Arabs that live in Occupied Palestine. And Muslims in Britain and around the world feel hatred for the US and the UK (and their allies).

The 16% was about that survey which said something like 16% of Muslims in Britain support al-Quaeda?

lol, not just the staring/spitting (yes, that'd be a fairly weak parallel) but the general worldwide war on Islam led by the US, aided by the UK and her allies. (as well as even older wars against Muslims e.g. in Chechnya, by the Russians, who are allies of Britain)

Well, it might not bother you, but it does me and other Muslims. And its not advanced persecution complex, its/was REAL. I know you can't have experienced what it was like in the immediate aftermatch of 7/7, but you should be able to appreciate that there was a LOT of "tension" (to euphemise it) most of which wasn't reported in the media (wasn't newsworthy...)

Anywho, if you respond to this-- I give up, you win :p: I'm tired of derailing this debate (well, thats a lie, I just can't be bothered :p: )

-Rashid
Rashid
The israelis FEEL vulnerable, and they FEEL hatred for the Arabs that live in Occupied Palestine.
No they don't. Many feel sympathy. Israel has a very big 'Peace Now' movement and many leftists who support a palestinian state and rights. What you are saying is simply a very bad generalisation of something and entirely misrepresents the position of literally millions of Israelis.

Rashid
The 16% was about that survey which said something like 16% of Muslims in Britain support al-Quaeda?
20% of Muslims would support or wouldn't mind if a family member joined Al Qaeda was what it said.

Rashid
but the general worldwide war on Islam led by the US, aided by the UK and her allies.
So removing genocidal and massively oppressive dictators from two Islamic countries and instead giving those people rights and democracy - is a "war on Islam"?

Saddam Hussein killed many times more muslims than the Coalition forces have killed in Iraq - even if you count in all the deaths caused by muslim terrorists in the country in the last 3 years.

The fact that the US and UK both give muslims complete freedom of religion and indeed protection from harassment or racism - that's a "war on Islam"?

Both the US and UK governments spend a lot of time talking to and listening to the concerns of muslim groups.

Persecution complex shining through.

Rashid
And its not advanced persecution complex, its/was REAL.
Considering the comment above about a UK/US 'War on Islam'...

Rashid
I know you can't have experienced what it was like in the immediate aftermatch of 7/7, but you should be able to appreciate that there was a LOT of "tension"
I was working in Central London on 7/7 and narrowly missed the tube that was blown up between Kings Cross and Russell Square. I was waiting for the next one when the alarms went off. The tension I - and millions of others - felt in the weeks afterwards was of Islamic terrorism. In that light, Muslims feeling a bit of tension doesn't elevate them from the rest.
Reply 83
The Green Manalishi
How did this thread descend into this? :hmpf:

err soz every1 - my fault when i suggested (correctly) that it was muslim bombers that blew themselves up in Mumbai on the 7/7 THIS year.

either way. lets make it clear from the outset, that no matter how unrealistic it may seem from the suggestion made above, i have nothing against the muslim community, and to be frank, i have many close muslim friends. Furthermore, they too hate all the terrorist activities that go on around the world, whether it is in the arab countries or in foreign. but they CAN accept that it is Muslims that carry out the suicide bombs. They can accept that Muslims are indirectly killing their own people. they can accept that muslims are killing other innocent sivillians. But they say that it is the muslim communities in arab states to blame<see later>- whether it be for the numerous wars that they have caused to be launched out of some extremist groups' spite against the civilised world.

At the moment- i think that the crisis in the middle east is finally getting somewhere. i believe that Bush and Blair have opted for the right thing this time. before the US has always been in support of the Muslim communitiesin the middle east. the US has always asked Israel to stop and that has materialised in the past. but remember - you can only tease an aggrivated dog x amount of times before it bites. (better stop wittering on this topic because this is not the thread for this) the main point i was trying to make there was that it is not just remote groups that do this- muslim politicians make a bad name for muslims- in fact the muslims themselv es are dragged into anti-americanism etc without knowing the facts. and we see the the media with pics of thousands of muslims burning flags etc etc when pretty easily they could have not done the riot and followed what the govt wanted and had peaceful protests later, that would have made the withdrawing of troops easier and quicker.

guptay

PS im not saying that israel's over-reaction is right- just that it was wrong to kidnap the soldiers in the first place.

PPS what i cant stand is people who openly deny that it IS muslims who carry out the terrorist attacks agains other Muslims and Citizens of the world.
guptay004
. They can accept that Muslims are indirectly killing their own people.

What's 'indirect' about a muslim in Iraq driving a car full of explosives in to a group of muslims?
Reply 85
JonathanH
What's 'indirect' about a muslim in Iraq driving a car full of explosives in to a group of muslims?

lol- although its not a laughing matter

i was thinking of that car explosion in bali outside a european hotel or summat and more muslims were killed than westerners wounded or summat like that.
Well, yes, they do that sort of stuff all the time, but they also do it on purpose. Think of the daily attacks in Iraq, the hotel bombing in Jordan, attacks in Egypt, Morocco, Saudi etc. More muslims are killed by Islamic terror than any other group.
JonathanH
Who said it was?

Er, everybody apart from El Scotto?

If you asking whether you have:

JonathanH
Yes, I said that. Muslims bomb and threaten and get special groups set up and their demands listened to. Hindus do none of the above and get ignored.

Ugh.
conservativebohemian
If you asking whether you have:

Sorry, where in that sentence do I say anything about Hindus being a race?
I think it would be greatly appreciated among the Hindu community if they did recieve some recognition and awareness among the general public of there differences between the muslim community.
It would be like a group of chechens blowing themselves up in isreal and isreal categorizing it has a european problem rather than an islamic terrorist problem.
Reply 90
London_psycho
I think it would be greatly appreciated among the Hindu community if they did recieve some recognition and awareness among the general public of there differences between the muslim community.
It would be like a group of chechens blowing themselves up in isreal and isreal categorizing it has a european problem rather than an islamic terrorist problem.

Could you not have thought of a weirder example?? :rolleyes:

-Rashid
Akhoza
I just think that Hindus, Muslims and Sikh are vastly different communities and they are all unfairly categorised under the same banner as Asian

That, dear friend, is because they are individuals, not "communities". All them "community leaders" are generally self-appointed (usually religious) nutters who like to speak for "the community" when they are in fact talking for themselves and a few nutty friends of theirs.

Example: I picked up my local paper recently (I never usually read it, it's pap), and the front page article was about my village and how the vicar at the Anglican church had found some historic remains on the site of the church and war memorial. Moderately interesting, although the journalist displayed an inability to actually talk to people who know anything. Somewhere in the article, they referred to the "community leaders", but never explicitly said who it was. Was it members of the parish council? The vicar? The landlord of the pub on the High Street? The newsagent? Who knows? I never remember getting the chance to vote for the "community leaders".

The devotion to "community thinking" leads to silly things like people saying that there are specifically "Hindu human rights". No, there are human rights and they are for all humans. If you subscribe to the idea of human rights, you subscribe to them universally. That's why they're human rights.

You aren't your goddamn community, you aren't your parent's religion, you aren't your race, you aren't the town you grew up in. Now grow the feck up and stop acting like kids. All this "you're not part of my super-duper exclusive club" crap was what we should have grown out of at about age eight.
Reply 92
I have no problem with people being proud of who they are, and wanting to share their faith etc. However, people should gain recognition through who they are as people, as opposed to what they believe in or which race they are.
These people who strive to stand out and be recognised in a different league, are the same people who complain when other people see them as different.
Original post by Akhoza
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5167332.stm

After watching the video i also think that some communities probably put more into the country but get less recognition and from the above article it clearly shows quite a few Hindus dont like to be termed as asian. What does everyone else think of this??:biggrin:
it's amazing that no one listened to these people. Islam is getting more attention from liberals than ever before!
Original post by rogersuniv
it's amazing that no one listened to these people. Islam is getting more attention from liberals than ever before!

You do realise that this thread is almost 10 years old and most of the people who posted long gone, right? :erm:
Original post by Hydeman
You do realise that this thread is almost 10 years old and most of the people who posted long gone, right? :erm:

The point was that ten years on, things have got worse!
Original post by rogersuniv
The point was that ten years on, things have got worse!

If you want to talk about it, make a new thread and link this thread/the BBC article in the OP. Bumping really old threads isn't really encouraged.
Reply 97
Holy crap! This is 10 years old hahahahaha wtf.

Also, it annoys me how Rashid signed off every post lmfao

-Ekno
Original post by Hydeman
If you want to talk about it, make a new thread and link this thread/the BBC article in the OP. Bumping really old threads isn't really encouraged.
I want people to refer to the replies too. IMO nearly everything they said is still true today.
Original post by Hydeman

ok officer :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending