The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

How much do GCSEs matter to LSE?

My dream is to go to LSE to study law.
I got A*A*AAAAAB in my GCSEs and there's a lot of talk that LSE are very strict with GCSE grades. Do you think I have a shot?
I'm in my AS year so I still have time to work towards better A level results.
I thought they were über strict on GCSEs and that was the bit of my application that was the weakest.

I got 4A*s 8As and I still got an offer for Law.

Definitly try and get all As at AS/A2 but even then I only got AAAB at AS level. They must've liked some part of my application though because they still gave me that place. Still in shock to be honest and its been a month.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
I'm a current offer holder for Social Anthropology (so not as much of a competitive course) and I got A*AAAAAAAABBB at GCSE and from what i've heard my results are around the bottom of what they accept. All I can say is that if your personal statement is really good (they focus a lot on this!) then this can redeem but you really need smashing AS results. The main reason i've heard for rejection is that the PS didn't show enthusiasm, if this is any indicator...

Also i got AABC at AS if that matters in any way, I honestly do think that some people get offers because they just liked the sound of them from their PS (and I think i'm one of those people)
Reply 3
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
I thought they were über strict on GCSEs and that was the bit of my application that was the weakest.

Definitly try and get all As at AS/A2 but even then I only got AAAB at AS level. They must've liked some part of my application though because they still gave me that place. Still in shock to be honest and its been a month.

Congrats on your offer! Definitely will be working towards the top grades and will apply next year!
Reply 4
Original post by IShootLikeAGirl
I'm a current offer holder for Social Anthropology (so not as much of a competitive course) and I got A*AAAAAAAABBB at GCSE and from what i've heard my results are around the bottom of what they accept. All I can say is that if your personal statement is really good (they focus a lot on this!) then this can redeem but you really need smashing AS results. The main reason i've heard for rejection is that the PS didn't show enthusiasm, if this is any indicator...

Also i got AABC at AS if that matters in any way, I honestly do think that some people get offers because they just liked the sound of them from their PS (and I think i'm one of those people)

Congratulations on your offer! I hope I'm one of those people too :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ChangeOurWorld

You got 12 top grades and you were worried? Jeez something is definitely wrong with you people...

^Your GCSE'S are fine... especially if the B was in a subject which isn't the one ur applying for :wink:
Original post by LSE1996
You got 12 top grades and you were worried? Jeez something is definitely wrong with you people...

^Your GCSE'S are fine... especially if the B was in a subject which isn't the one ur applying for :wink:

Yes because there's not enough A*s. Most successful applicants have 6 or more A*s and take 5 AS levels! I felt really inadequate for a really long time about them :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by LSE1996

My B was in Geography and I'll be applying for Law so hopefully they won't look too much into it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending