The Student Room Group

The Beatles Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Yeah I love 'Imagine', great song. I think my Beatles favourites, though I have a lot.. are probably Help!, All You Need Is Love, A Hard Day's Night... hmm there's loads. haha. Oh yeah and *KatyE*, I think 'Something' is brilliant too, I love playing bass along to that [though it took me AGES to learn because of all the subtle changes!!]
Reply 41
bump..
Reply 42
Oops, didn't even answer my own questions..

Favourite Beatle - John Lennon or Paul McCartney, its a thin line between the two.

Favourite Lyrics - Lucy With Diamonds in The Sky... :love:

Picture yourself in a boat on a river
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Cellophane flowers of yellow and green
Towering over your head
Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes
And she's gone

Lucy in the sky with diamonds
Aaaaahhhhh...

Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain
Where rocking horse people eat marshmellow pies
Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers
That grow so incredibly high

Newpaper taxis appear on the shore
Waiting to take you away
Climb in the back with your head in the clouds
And you're gone

Aaaaahhhhh...

Picture yourself on a train in a station
With plasticine porters with looking glass ties
Suddenly someone is there at the turnstyle
The girl with the kaleidoscope eyes

Aaaaahhhhh...
Aaaaahhhhh...

Amazing :smile:
Reply 43
Decent_Jam
I think the style of Imagine is probably the most frequently copied of all piano pop songs, don't you think? I'm sure Lennon didn't do it first but there are so many examples (Angels, Roll With It...)

Yes I completely agree (love both Angels and Roll With It though, maybe that's why!)

Oasis quite clearly modelled themselves on The Beatles though!
Reply 44
*KatyE*
Yes I completely agree (love both Angels and Roll With It though, maybe that's why!)

Oasis quite clearly modelled themselves on The Beatles though
!

Liam Gallagher i think once admitted being a re-born John Lennon...

Can kind of see what he means sometimes... :smile:
Reply 45
Argh I really don't like Oasis..

Oooh but Lucy in the sky with diamonds - amazing song =]
Reply 46
xPunkx
Argh I really don't like Oasis..

Oooh but Lucy in the sky with diamonds - amazing song =]

Same here, i can't really stand Oasis :frown:

Yeap, i love that song, ever sine i first heard it. :love:

What i really hate is other bands other then the beatles singing 'Beatles' songs. For example, i heard a not very well known band singing Yellow Submarine! Was awful. But they did a good cover of John Lennon's 'Imagine' :smile:
Reply 47
Decent_Jam
I own Sgt. Pepper and have borrowed Abbey Road from my dad, not bad at all. Though the former is much better. I feel as if I should get the White album, which tracks are on it?

Get the white album - "Piggies" "Bugalow Bill" "Rocky Racoon" "Blackbird" (i'm sure you know someone who always plays that on the guitar!)
:biggrin:
Reply 48
;smartass; by the way, did you know that when John heard Yoko playing Bethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" on the piano, he turned the chords around and made it into "Because" (Abbey Road)
Reply 49
Did you know Sexy Sadie was written about the Maharishi who apparently made a pass at one of the females who travelled with the Beatles to India.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexy_Sadie_(song)
Favourite Songs/Albums: While my guitar gently weeps, Don't let me down, Strawberry Fields forever /Abbey Road
How you started to like the Beatles: Got into them myself, bought cd's n that.
Do you play any instrument(s): used to play guitar, not any more though.
Other musical tastes: Loads. Most favourably Elliott Smith
Reply 51
Fletch
;smartass; by the way, did you know that when John heard Yoko playing Bethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" on the piano, he turned the chords around and made it into "Because" (Abbey Road)

Oooh wow, no I didn't know that! Interesting, and the other fact too =]
Reply 52
That IS interesting!! *Finds piano music to Moonlight Sonata...*
*KatyE*
Oasis quite clearly modelled themselves on The Beatles though!

They think they're as good as the Beatles and copied them!! Like one of their vids was a total take-off of Yellow Submarine, Oasis are so cocky thinking they're as good/better than The Beatles pfft don't like them AT all. :mad:

Fav Beatle has to be George Harrison: I was so sad when he died :frown:
(my mum told him off in a hospital, when she was a nurse, for being disruptive lol)

Fav lyrics: Taxman (by Harrison, his songs rule) Nowhere Man or Come Together ("...he got feet down below his knees..." :p: ) ooh or When I'm 64, that song also rules :biggrin:
Reply 54
haha that's so cool about the hospital thing. Oh and Nowhere Man, I like that song too =]
Reply 55
I got Sgt. Peppers the other day, only had the "1" album up till now. i was really loking forward to listening to Peppers, but honestly I just feel a bit underwhelmed. There's some class songs on it, i love the first 3, it goes a bit suspect in the middle (the annoyingly long Within You Without You with the weird indian thingy), picks up again a bit at the end. A day in the life is a good song, but again way overhyped, best song of all time?!?! I think not. The weird gibberish at the end of it freaked me out the first time i listened tho! :p:
So overall, it's a decent album I feel, maybe it will grow on me with time, but I do feel it's overhyped. If it wasn't the beatles, would this album get anywhere near as much recognition? I think it's difficult to judge beatles music as everyone has such massive preconceptions, it's hard to separate the music from the culture and feelings of nostalgia etc. that go with it. On the other hand, who's to say that this shouldn't be considered as part of the music as a whole? But then that's what makes it harder for me to appreciate the album, as I can only judge it on the music alone.

Anyway, it's still left a fairly good impression with me, I'm thinking of getting the Lennon greatest hits set, amazon are doing it for a fiver, Lennon seems to be the one whose songs I appreciate more, though McCartney does have his moments.
Reply 56
just bumping the thread up =]
Reply 57
been looking everywhere for the Blue Album, and there is no way im getting it on the net, i want to see it first :biggrin:

Everywhere i look, and ask, they look at me like 'What the hell mate?' - Especially them eejits in HMV.. School kids, ain't a clue..
get it second hand from ebay or amazon used..most shops should have it, just ask for the "1967-1970 best of"
Reply 59
billbonesknowswhatimean
get it second hand from ebay or amazon used..most shops should have it, just ask for the "1967-1970 best of"

I would get it second hand, but i want it brand spankers really, then i know its not scratched or been tampered with.

Ive asked in HMV and as they are mostly emo school kids, they ain't a clue. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest