The Student Room Group

The Beatles Society

Scroll to see replies

get it online at hmv.co.uk then, it aint expensive
Fletch
Get the white album - "Piggies" "Bugalow Bill" "Rocky Racoon" "Blackbird" (i'm sure you know someone who always plays that on the guitar!)
:biggrin:

Those are three of the worst beatle songs ever!

But the white album is epic, apparently they were orginally gonna trim it down to a single album but im so glad they didnt.

Some of my favourite tracks of it are 'helter skelter', 'im so tired', 'mother nature's son', 'honey pie' and especially 'happines is a warm gun' (Ttttuuunnneee!!!:biggrin: )
Reply 62
billbonesknowswhatimean
get it online at hmv.co.uk then, it aint expensive

Last time i bought a 'Brand New' cd off of HMV.co.uk, it was scratched to hell.

:frown:

Will keep looking round.
A.ndrew
Last time i bought a 'Brand New' cd off of HMV.co.uk, it was scratched to hell.

:frown:

Will keep looking round.

Ive had four of 5 over the past couple of months and they were all in mint condition.
Reply 64
Decent_Jam
Ive had four of 5 over the past couple of months and they were all in mint condition.

One bad experience is enough for me :biggrin:
Reply 65
smirf83
I got Sgt. Peppers the other day, only had the "1" album up till now. i was really loking forward to listening to Peppers, but honestly I just feel a bit underwhelmed. There's some class songs on it, i love the first 3, it goes a bit suspect in the middle (the annoyingly long Within You Without You with the weird indian thingy), picks up again a bit at the end. A day in the life is a good song, but again way overhyped, best song of all time?!?! I think not. The weird gibberish at the end of it freaked me out the first time i listened tho! :p:
So overall, it's a decent album I feel, maybe it will grow on me with time, but I do feel it's overhyped. If it wasn't the beatles, would this album get anywhere near as much recognition? I think it's difficult to judge beatles music as everyone has such massive preconceptions, it's hard to separate the music from the culture and feelings of nostalgia etc. that go with it. On the other hand, who's to say that this shouldn't be considered as part of the music as a whole? But then that's what makes it harder for me to appreciate the album, as I can only judge it on the music alone.

Anyway, it's still left a fairly good impression with me, I'm thinking of getting the Lennon greatest hits set, amazon are doing it for a fiver, Lennon seems to be the one whose songs I appreciate more, though McCartney does have his moments.

It's hard to appreciate now because they have been so copied (or influential), but the Beatles, and esp. the Sgt. Pepper album, completely revolutionised pop music. I hope you heard the end of "Day In The Life" on vinyl - the loop at the end (clippings off the editing room floor stuck together) has the groove of the record running back into itself so that it will keep repeating until someone is lucid enough to take it off :biggrin: Can't do that on a CD!
Reply 66
Doctor Mysterio
Those are three of the worst beatle songs ever!

But the white album is epic, apparently they were orginally gonna trim it down to a single album but im so glad they didnt.

Some of my favourite tracks of it are 'helter skelter', 'im so tired', 'mother nature's son', 'honey pie' and especially 'happines is a warm gun' (Ttttuuunnneee!!!:biggrin: )

Each to their own - can you like "Honey Pie" and not like "Rocky Racoon"?
It's taken quite a bit of thought but I'm going to come down in favour of "Abbey Road" as the best album (apart from "Octopuses Garden" - they always gave Ringo the naff songs). The way it all ties together and other songs get quoted in the finale makes you want to listen all the way through.
Reply 67
Yeah I love Abbey Road =]
Reply 68
Bump!!!
Why didnt I see this thread earlier??

Name:Is that really needed??? :wink:
Favourtie Songs/Albums: All of them, but I love Imagine (I know not a Beatles entirely) and they all are easy the school choir to learn and sing.
How you started to like the Beatles: My mum played them whilst I was growing up.
Do you play any instrument(s): Piano badly
Other musical tastes: Love the saxaphone
Other hobbies: Eating small children.

So where do I sign and shake hands???? (spits on palm)
Reply 70
:biggrin: Thanks for joining!
Reply 71
The Beatles :love:

They are so great!

Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds!

Such a shame Lennon and Harrison are dead :frown: They were/are legends :biggrin:
Reply 72
Oh Em Gee! YOU LET THE THREAD DIE!
Come on now people, bit more posting please. haha =]
Reply 73
The Beatles

:party:

Reply 74
A.ndrew
The Beatles

:party:

:biggrin: w00t!
thanks for joining btw.
Love The Beatles :love:

I'm 19 and have liked The Beatles for as long as I can remember. I have a brother who is 10 years older than me and he was mad about them when I was a little girl. I basically grew up listening to them and wasn't put off when none of my friends liked them as I got older. In fact some friends a couple of years ago teased me for being a fan but I've found out they are fans too now :biggrin:

One of my favourites will always be "I'll Follow The Sun". This is because for some reason when I was about 3 or 4 I loved it and used to make my brother play it all the time. So it's kind of mine and my brothers song and if we're out and have had a few drinks it's not unusal to hear us sat in the corner singing it :redface:

When I was little I used to love watching Help, Magical Mystery Tour (though not so much), Hard Days Night and Yellow Submarine. Some of my fave films lol :redface:

I have nearly all the albums so I love loads of songs and it's hard to pick favourites.

I usually listen to the older albums but when I'm all bouncy and feel like a sing song I'll stick on the earlier albums.

Also distantly related to Ringo.
Reply 76
xPunkx
:biggrin: w00t!
thanks for joining btw.

Thats ok, needed to be done :biggrin:

I lost my Sgt Peppers...... Album :frown:
Reply 77
A.ndrew
Thats ok, needed to be done :biggrin:

I lost my Sgt Peppers...... Album :frown:

Aww noooo! :frown: Hope you find it!!
Reply 78
Welcome to the Soc CheesyBeans! =]
CheesyBeans
Love The Beatles :love:

I'm 19 and have liked The Beatles for as long as I can remember. I have a brother who is 10 years older than me and he was mad about them when I was a little girl. I basically grew up listening to them and wasn't put off when none of my friends liked them as I got older. In fact some friends a couple of years ago teased me for being a fan but I've found out they are fans too now :biggrin:

One of my favourites will always be "I'll Follow The Sun". This is because for some reason when I was about 3 or 4 I loved it and used to make my brother play it all the time. So it's kind of mine and my brothers song and if we're out and have had a few drinks it's not unusal to hear us sat in the corner singing it :redface:

When I was little I used to love watching Help, Magical Mystery Tour (though not so much), Hard Days Night and Yellow Submarine. Some of my fave films lol :redface:

I have nearly all the albums so I love loads of songs and it's hard to pick favourites.

I usually listen to the older albums but when I'm all bouncy and feel like a sing song I'll stick on the earlier albums.

Also distantly related to Ringo.

That's really sweet :smile: if you don't mind me saying...

Quick Reply

Latest