The Student Room Group

The Beatles Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
dunno actually! it's on the anthology, but so are most songs. thats a good album cos some of them its like the very first recordings or ideas of songs. like strawberry fields, it sounds so different stripped away, its great!

sgt pepper is a master piece. no question. infact iv just made a t-shirt with an iron-on transfer of that album cover!
I listened to Revolver today. It's a masterpiece, although I love most of their albums. I think Revolver is their best, personally.
Reply 102
Decent_Jam
Sgt. Pepper personally, even though it's supposedly incredibly overrated, what album is Yesterday on?

The original is on "Help" and the version sans strings (arguably the original original) is on "Let It Be Naked". This is very interesting hearing Paul's and John's own arrangements without George Martin's and Phil Spectre's orchestral additions. "The Long And Winding Road" e.g. becomes a completely different song.
I do love the "Abbey Road" album partly for some great songs but also for it's brilliant structure. Possibly the first concept album with the songs linked rather than a collection of singles.
Hmmm, it's tough because they're all so amazing! I really like Rubber Soul and Abbey Road though, they're brilliant.
And hey, you lot.. why don't you join the society?
=]
Reply 104
ooo yeah let it be naked is wicked, as is the 2nd disc you get with it 'fly on the wall' of some rehersals and stuff.

revolver is classic beatles, i love doctor robert off that one.

it's cool talkin to people who like my kind of music, my friends are in to more current chart stuff, which i cant really call music.
Its got to be Revolver for me.

Its a fight between the White Album, SGT Peepers and Abbey Road for second.
Reply 106
wow doctor mysterio u are a member of a lot of cool groups!
how is manchester doing? havent been for months.

does any1 play instruments here? im a violinist/guitarist/pianist :smile: but not at the same time
sooper-soph
wow doctor mysterio u are a member of a lot of cool groups!
how is manchester doing? havent been for months.

does any1 play instruments here? im a violinist/guitarist/pianist :smile: but not at the same time

Manchester is groovy as usual. Hows Liverpool?

I play guitar/bass/drums/piano. In fact the first song i learnt on guitar was 'Here comes the Sun'.:biggrin:
Reply 108
Liverpool is boss too, but its kinda a building site at the mo, loads of big diggers, and gutted cos theyr goin2 knock down quiggins, the bestest coolest quirky shop u can ever imagine :frown:

ace, between us, we've got a pretty cool (virtual) band here!

wot do u guys do then? im having a gap year before uni cos i got abb but needed aab so got2 resit.
I'm at Chester uni :smile: One of my housemates quite likes The Beatles. We have sing alongs!!
What really annoys me is when people say 'Who Are The Bealtes?'.. You just wanna turn round and hit them in the head with a metal baseball bat. :evil:

Sing alongs to beatles songs? Sounds like fun :smile:
Reply 111
A.ndrew
What really annoys me is when people say 'Who Are The Bealtes?'.. You just wanna turn round and hit them in the head with a metal baseball bat. :evil:

:eek: You serious?!?! Who the hell hasn't at least heard of the beatles?? I find it difficult to believe you can go through life without at least hearing the beatles name a couple of times.
smirf83
:eek: You serious?!?! Who the hell hasn't at least heard of the beatles?? I find it difficult to believe you can go through life without at least hearing the beatles name a couple of times.

You'd be surprised at how many people say 'who are they?' They are the kinda people you are born to ignore... :biggrin:
Reply 113
A.ndrew
You'd be surprised at how many people say 'who are they?' They are the kinda people you are born to ignore... :biggrin:

Hmm, you make a good point, it could make a useful screening question whenever you meet someone new, if they answer negatively then at least you know never to speak to them again! :smile:
smirf83
Hmm, you make a good point, it could make a useful screening question whenever you meet someone new, if they answer negatively then at least you know never to speak to them again! :smile:

True.. :biggrin:

If they don't know who The Beatles are, they ain't worth knowing... :rofl:

Spot on!

:biggrin:
Reply 115
Exactly, then you pose this follow up question:
Who's better?
A: Kasabian
B: Beatles
C: Radiohead

If they answer A, you immediately grab a cricket bat and start pounding them.
If they answer B, you give them a respectful nod and get them to lend you The White Album cos you're too cheap to buy it yourself.
If they answer C, you stop admiring yourself in the mirror.
Reply 116
^^That reminded me, I meant to ask, is the white album actually worth getting? I hear lots of mixed reviews, and I don't really want to fork out £20 for a load of pretentious blooping by drugged up hippies. I know there's some good songs spread over the 2 cds, but are there enough to merit buying it?
smirf83
Exactly, then you pose this follow up question:
Who's better?
A: Kasabian
B: Beatles
C: Radiohead

If they answer A, you immediately grab a cricket bat and start pounding them.
If they answer B, you give them a respectful nod and get them to lend you The White Album cos you're too cheap to buy it yourself.
If they answer C, you stop admiring yourself in the mirror.

:rofl: Like the Answer A thing.. Spot on too... :biggrin:

Radiohead.. pah, for some reason, ive never liked them...

Anyone who is anyone, should have at least heard 1 or more Beatles songs in their lifes, and none of this 'cover' version crap :biggrin:
smirf83
^^That reminded me, I meant to ask, is the white album actually worth getting? I hear lots of mixed reviews, and I don't really want to fork out £20 for a load of pretentious blooping by drugged up hippies. I know there's some good songs spread over the 2 cds, but are there enough to merit buying it?

Ive not got the White Album, as it is alot to buy, as you said £20. :frown:

Ive heard it a few times, and can say it's not as good as the Red Album or Sgt Peppers lonely.......

All i can suggest is, Look At the Track Listing here, and download a few songs, well the ones you can find, and see if you like them, and decide from there. :smile:
Reply 119
A.ndrew
:rofl: Like the Answer A thing.. Spot on too... :biggrin:

I'm glad we agree :wink:

A.ndrew
Radiohead.. pah, for some reason, ive never liked them...

But then you had to go and spoil it didn't you. :frown: :p:

A.ndrew
Anyone who is anyone, should have at least heard 1 or more Beatles songs in their lifes, and none of this 'cover' version crap :biggrin:

Seriously, I cannot actually believe that people can grow up without hearing at least a couple of Beatles songs. Maybe they just don't realise it's the beatles or something, cos you'd actually have to go out of your way to not hear any of their stuff.

And on that ranting note, I bid you goodnight. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest