The Student Room Group

The Beatles Society

Scroll to see replies

smirf83
I'm glad we agree :wink:

But then you had to go and spoil it didn't you. :frown: :p:

Seriously, I cannot actually believe that people can grow up without hearing at least a couple of Beatles songs. Maybe they just don't realise it's the beatles or something, cos you'd actually have to go out of your way to not hear any of their stuff.

I just can't get 'into' radiohead's stuff, ive tried, but with no luck :frown:

True, you'd have to be living in a cave if you never ever heard of or seen the Beatles on TV or on the radio. I think it's more the younger generation, where they think 'ahh that was history, before my time, im not bothered..' which sucks. But then they will grow up, and hear The Beatles and think 'wow, they were/are great...'

Well.. something like that :biggrin:
Reply 121
smirf83
^^That reminded me, I meant to ask, is the white album actually worth getting? I hear lots of mixed reviews, and I don't really want to fork out £20 for a load of pretentious blooping by drugged up hippies. I know there's some good songs spread over the 2 cds, but are there enough to merit buying it?

White album isn't so much druggie or pretentious but it does have a "quaint" factor. There's quite a bit of the 1920s ragtime feel to a few of the songs - Martha My Dear, Honey Pie, Rocky Racoon, Piggies and there is the awful Ob-la-di (has Paul ever listened to Ska?)
But there are some beauties like Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Blackbird, While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Maybe if they cut it down to one album...? :rolleyes: (I only have one LP of it which I got for 50p!)
Reply 122
the white album is worth it i think, altho i never bought it, it's just always been in my house :smile:

best songs on it in my humble opinion are:
Bungalow bill
i'm so tired
hapiness is a warm gun

has any1 got that massive yellow book with every beatles song lyrics/chords/piano in it??? that is a very good purchase, esp for singalongs.

ppl who dont know who the beatles are are lying or ignorant. either way not my kind of ppl.
sooper-soph
Liverpool is boss too, but its kinda a building site at the mo, loads of big diggers, and gutted cos theyr goin2 knock down quiggins, the bestest coolest quirky shop u can ever imagine :frown:

ace, between us, we've got a pretty cool (virtual) band here!

wot do u guys do then? im having a gap year before uni cos i got abb but needed aab so got2 resit.

Ugh, yeah the 'Big Dig'. There's something they're doing in Boston in the USA with the same name. When I was there I had to laugh because it's like a complete copy of it - overbudget, unpopular, and taking way too long! haha.

I'm going to 6th form next year btw =]
It's nice to see that the soc is so active lately too by the way! :biggrin:
Thats because The Beatles are amazing... :biggrin:
Reply 126
Does anybody have a list of all the Beatles studio albums? I've never really known how many they have done...

I have Revolver and Sgt. Peppers. I recently bought Hard Days Night for the car. What's my next step?
Euan_hmfc
Does anybody have a list of all the Beatles studio albums? I've never really known how many they have done...

I have Revolver and Sgt. Peppers. I recently bought Hard Days Night for the car. What's my next step?

I'd say buy Abbey Road, that's a brilliant album, I love it. Here's a list of albums, I might have forgotten some but anyway... [this doesn't include things like '1' though, which are greatest hits]

Please, please me
With the Beatles
A Hard Day’s Night
Beatles for Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt Pepper’s..
White album
Yellow Submarine
Abbey Road
Let it be
Magical Mystery Tour
Hey Jude

There's also ones like the red/blue albums, and the anthology.
Reply 128
sooper-soph
the white album is worth it i think, altho i never bought it, it's just always been in my house :smile:

best songs on it in my humble opinion are:
Bungalow bill
i'm so tired
hapiness is a warm gun

has any1 got that massive yellow book with every beatles song lyrics/chords/piano in it??? that is a very good purchase, esp for singalongs.

ppl who dont know who the beatles are are lying or ignorant. either way not my kind of ppl.

Yea, I've had it so long it's falling apart. Brilliant for late nights round the piano but trying to sing along really shows what high voices John & Paul had! Somtimes I'm not sure which is the tune and which is the harmony line.
Reply 129
yo, the mathew street fest started today, was cool, i saw gerry & the pacemakers, the proclaimers, and lyons & tigers (a liverpool band)

monday's line up is as follows for anyone around then: (its free btw)

Stage 5: Derby Square
11:00 - 11:45 Blue Meanies
12:00 - 12:45 All You Need Is Love
13:00 - 13:45 Beatles Norway
14:00 - 14:45 Clube Big Beatles
15:00 - 15:45 The Prellies
16:00 - 16:45 Ringer
17:00 - 17:45 Mersey Beatles
18:00 - 18:45 Los Beat 3
=D I went to the festival today, the pierhead ones. Was awesome. I'm going again tomorrow so hopefully I'll see a couple of the Beatles acts.
I'm supposed to be going tomorrow with a couple of mates but whether they'll get to the station on time is another story.
haha. Good luck with that + I hope this rain stops =/
Nothing Down here like that, well Chicago Rock Cafe usually have a Beatles Tribute band, but they are crap. Not worth the entrance fee (free).. :biggrin:

Surely a Beatles tribute band are meant to sound like them? :rofl:
Reply 134
hey did u enjoy the fest then? was mega! :smile: did u c the pedantics, 28 costumes, and tramp attack on sunday at pier head south? i think the best beatles band was the mersey beatles, sounded just like them and dressed in full sgt pepper costumes :biggrin:

although saw a john lennon tribute on the strand stage and he was crap! i walked away when they started doing a yoko tribute... :mad:
Yeah I liked the Mersey Beatles.
Me and my friends had a great time on both days glad you did too =] haha we had a laugh going down to Mathew Street putting on accents pretending to be tourists. The Beatles shop was PACKED.
A.ndrew
Nothing Down here like that, well Chicago Rock Cafe usually have a Beatles Tribute band, but they are crap. Not worth the entrance fee (free).. :biggrin:

Surely a Beatles tribute band are meant to sound like them? :rofl:

Your avatar is fantastic :biggrin:
xPunkx
Your avatar is fantastic :biggrin:

Thank you, the little guy is a funky dude :cool:

:biggrin:
My dad is a huge fan he has posters ticket stumps the fake £10 note old tapes, dvds, videos, t shirts and i have most of the cd's now.
*J*
My dad is a huge fan he has posters ticket stumps the fake £10 note old tapes, dvds, videos, t shirts and i have most of the cd's now.

Awesome! Why not join our soc? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest