The Student Room Group

Have you been stopped and searched by the Police?!

Scroll to see replies

No. And i'm a white male level 90 mage. Although, everyday when i'm walking down the street, everybody that I meet, despite having their own original points of view are like 'Ahhh, he got the velcro!'
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 61
Car searched once at a vehicle checkpoint, typical for Northern Ireland though, Officers polite and courteous about it.

White male.
Reply 62
No because I'm a little white girl.
Reply 63
I haven't seen the statistics in a couple of years but I'm assuming the police still stop and search about twice as many people of ethnic minorities than white people? lol..
Reply 64
No, I'm a good boy :smile:
Original post by Kutta
No, I'm a good boy :smile:

LIAAAARRR :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Hampshire Constabulary seemed to think I was a vicious knife wielding thug whilst walking down a high street- I'm just under 6', white, Bitish, wearing a Jack Wills hoodie, white jeans and brogues- hardly the attire of a gangland badman.
Needless to day they found nothing illicit upon me apart from a hipflask of schnapps, which the pigs promptly poured down the nearest drain. They were barely even apologetic about it either
Proof that they're not racist, just mindless, blind and generally stupid.
Reply 67
I have been stopped on two occasions by the Kent police and i would say suffered a degree of harassment and been spoken to very poorly, I am a white male.

Why? at the time i was a soldier and the Kent police (medway area) are very anti military, It comes from having a training regiment in your back yard.

first occasion i was walking back to camp with my brother after a night out, we had been drinking, but we were walking back to the barracks, talking, not running about, not doing anything stupid, just walking. Suddenly blue lights and siren and a car screeches up next to us, a police officer jumps out the car and shouts

"Right lads get your MOD90's out!"

An MOD90 is the army ID card, we were still a good 5 minutes from the barracks but they knew what we were, except my brother at the time was not in the army so basically this happened.

PC: "Get your MOD90 or I'll drag the pair of you down the station"
Me: "what for?" (showing my MOD90)
PC: to me "Shut up I;m not talking to you" to my brother " hurry up!"
Bro: What's a MOD90?
Me: "Army ID mate"
PC: "SHUT IT!"
Bro: "I'm not in the Army"
PC: "why are you here then?"
Bro: "I live here" (He lived about 20 minutes away"
PC: "Driving license then? Passport? come on"

anyway, long story short they rummaged through my brothers wallet looking for a MOD90 which he didn't have, kept us stood around for 10 minutes, told my brother to put his cigarette out when he lit up because we were stood around doing nothing, then eventually when some other poor soldier who was stumbling about appeared.

PC: "Is that prat with you?"
Me: No idea who he is"
PC: "Right, go home, don't want to see you again tonight"

They two policemen then went and turned their attention on the drunk guy who couldn't even stand properly while they tried to speak to ... AT him,

Second time, i was driving home on a friday, okay I was in uniform so it was my own fault really, but within about 20 minutes of being on Kent roads, would you believe it, blue lights, siren, a police car pulls along side me on the motor way (along side me not behind me) with the PC pointing at me and shouting inside his car. I pull over. The first thing they say "so how much have you been drinking today eh?"

I was completely sober, I am a responsible driver, since i drove one of the armored vehicles for my unit i know driving violations could have lost me my job, so i never drink and i very VERY rarely speed and i had done neither on that drive. They breathalyzed me had me stood over my their police car while they searched my car then asked me why i was driving like a maniac, i asked them when and the response i got was

"we've been looking for you all day" ... i had only been in Kent 20 minutes, i was starting to get annoys but i kept my calm the way they were speaking to me was very provocative, but i just asked what i had actually done, the response was

"driving like a mad man"

I asked if i had sped, they said, "probably" so i just said, if i haven't sped and I'm not drunk why have you pulled me over and why have you searched my car? Their response was;

"you was driving erratically and we suspected you of being drunk, however we will let you go and we won't give you at ticket this time"

i asked " a ticket for what"

response "a ticket for driving like a ****ing knob"

with that they jumped back in their car, said "have a nice day" from their seat and drove off...

I have never had any problems with the Anglia or metropolitan police and have actually assisted them before, seemed like decent guys, however Kent police... If i saw someone kicking the **** out one of them I stand and laugh, bunch of skin shedding eyeball licking lizards.
Yes, me and my other white friends were stopped and searched for opening a door to a charger/boiler near a block. The police then made jokes about us insinuating I was gay ad threatened to take me to the station.

Also some of my white friends were thrown up against the wall and punched by the police for cheering as they passed a police car.They spent a night in a cell. This myth about the police only tagetting blacks is racist boogeyman propaganda. No proof whatsoever.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 69
I've gotten "randomly selected" at airports while travelling, 5/6 times I got selected and 4 of those times I had a fairly decent beard.

As for cops, I've been searched once when I was out in a city centre at about 10pm.

South Asian Indian.
Original post by thenewone61
So criminals are only those who look "violent" or "suspicious"? LOL. You are very naive. BLACK males (mature and young) are targeted by the Police. All my male relatives have been stopped and searched on numerous occasions. They dress themselves very well, are polite and don't fit this "thug" image you have in mind. But, they are black. As a result, the police gravitate toward them with absolutely no cause for concern.

How do you know it's because they're black? That's just ignorant and a cop out which you yourself wish to believe. Not everyone sees the world that way.
Reply 71
Yes once, I was like wtf? I'm too handsome to look like a criminal :cool:
Yes but that was my fault and I was much younger then.
Black
Reply 73
Yes...but I'm mixed race so obviously
Nope. Probably because I never wear tracksuits.
Reply 75
Original post by tes1996
Hampshire Constabulary seemed to think I was a vicious knife wielding thug whilst walking down a high street- I'm just under 6', white, Bitish, wearing a Jack Wills hoodie, white jeans and brogues- hardly the attire of a gangland badman.
Needless to day they found nothing illicit upon me apart from a hipflask of schnapps, which the pigs promptly poured down the nearest drain. They were barely even apologetic about it either
Proof that they're not racist, just mindless, blind and generally stupid.

They stopped you because you were wearing a JW hoodie.
Yes, a few times. I'm white. Mostly polite on the whole, although I was once accused of urinating on a wall which I have never urinated upon, and it took rather a long time of trying to not get annoyed before they eventually decided I was being honest (or rather, there was no evidence that it was me).

The idea of the police specifically targeting black people for stop and search shows some statistical significance but when you compare it to local populations in areas with high stop and search, 'available populations' (i.e. the number of people out on the street hanging around who are 'available' to be stopped, rather than those sitting at home watching Coronation Street) and demographics of black people in the UK (more heavily weighted towards young people, and towards males, who are more likely to be stopped irrespective of colour) there's actually not that much difference in the statistics between races. Still some difference, but not a whole lot. And it tends to be quite localised.
Reply 77
Original post by CryptoidAlien
How do you know it's because they're black? That's just ignorant and a cop out which you yourself wish to believe. Not everyone sees the world that way.

Black males are the most disproportionately targeted demographic from the stop and search regime.

I only looked at Hackney statistics for this but they were stopped about 350 times compared to about 390 to white people. This is despite white people comprising 40% compared to 10% that black people make up. Also, black people were the least likely to get arrested following a stop and search.

I hate conspiracies but there is a problem here.
Reply 78
Original post by russellsteapot
Yes, a few times. I'm white. Mostly polite on the whole, although I was once accused of urinating on a wall which I have never urinated upon, and it took rather a long time of trying to not get annoyed before they eventually decided I was being honest (or rather, there was no evidence that it was me).

The idea of the police specifically targeting black people for stop and search shows some statistical significance but when you compare it to local populations in areas with high stop and search, 'available populations' (i.e. the number of people out on the street hanging around who are 'available' to be stopped, rather than those sitting at home watching Coronation Street) and demographics of black people in the UK (more heavily weighted towards young people, and towards males, who are more likely to be stopped irrespective of colour) there's actually not that much difference in the statistics between races. Still some difference, but not a whole lot. And it tends to be quite localised.

There are MUCH fewer black people in this country than white people yet they almost get stopped the same number of times.
Original post by Jam'
There are MUCH fewer black people in this country than white people yet they almost get stopped the same number of times.

You're obviously reading different statistics to the official police ones then. Black people only made up 14.2% of all stops and searches in 2011/12...

Unless 'almost the same' means 'significantly fewer'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending