The Student Room Group

Ch3COOCH2CH3 + HCL = ?

I am doing the question in title and the reaction is:

Ch3COOCH2CH3 the arrow with HCL(aq) on top and heat at the bottom of the arrow.

See I think it is:

EDIT - CH3COOH + CH3CH2OH

Thanks all :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
That looks right.

EDIT: wait... no it isn't. The acid acts as a catalyst. You get a carboxylic acid and an alcohol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Exon
That looks right.

Thank you :biggrin:

Can I just ask you, that one of the mark schemes albeit a specimen paper (mark scheme) says that the answer is CH3COOH + CH3CH2OH.

Is the above therefore wrong.

THank s :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by blairxoxo
Thank you :biggrin:

Can I just ask you, that one of the mark schemes albeit a specimen paper (mark scheme) says that the answer is CH3COOH + CH3CH2OH.

Is the above therefore wrong.

THank s :biggrin:

Replied.
Reply 4
Original post by Exon
Replied.

Just saw your edit :smile:

Does that mean the answer is: CH3COOH +CH3CH2OH
I am doing the question in title and the reaction is:

Ch3COOCH2CH3 the arrow with HCL(aq) on top and heat at the bottom of the arrow.

See I think it is:

CH3COCL + CH3CH2OH

Is this correct?

Two marks schemes say diffferent things, but I believe it to be that.

Thanks.

This is acid hydrolysis of an ester, so you get an alcohol and a carboxylic acid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Relaxedexams
This is acid hydrolysis of an ester, so you get an alcohol and a carboxylic acid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course yes, I see.

Would it be this then, CH3COOH +CH3CH2OH

CH3COOH + CH3CH2OH

This is correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
CH3COOCH2CH3 is slightly ambiguous. Most people will understand it as ethyl acetate, but it can be also methyl propionate.

Does the reaction take place in water? Most likely it does, and if so, hydrolysis is the most obvious answer.

And your idea about acyl chloride is wrong for an obvious reason: acyl chloride is not something that would survive in the presence of water or alcohol.
Reply 9
Just saw your edit :smile:

Does that mean the answer is: CH3COOH +CH3CH2OH

Yes. The HCL being above the arrow and the (aq) state symbol are important here. The HCL above the arrow tells you it's a catalyst therefore does not change after the reaction and the (aq) tells you that there is (as far as A-level goes) water.

Sorry for late replies, trying to multitask :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Relaxedexams
This is correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Borek
CH3COOCH2CH3 is slightly ambiguous. Most people will understand it as ethyl acetate, but it can be also methyl propionate.

Does the reaction take place in water? Most likely it does, and if so, hydrolysis is the most obvious answer.

And your idea about acyl chloride is wrong for an obvious reason: acyl chloride is not something that would survive in the presence of water or alcohol.

Oh right yeah :smile: Thanks for clearing that up that makes sense, changed the OP now :smile:

Original post by Exon
Yes. The HCL being above the arrow and the (aq) state symbol are important here. The HCL above the arrow tells you it's a catalyst therefore does not change after the reaction and the (aq) tells you that there is (as far as A-level goes) water.

Sorry for late replies, trying to multitask :P

Ah yes that makes sense. No problem, thank you for helping me.

Quick Reply

Latest