The Student Room Group

To all Australian students or citizens.

Hey, wanted to ask a question to all australian students or citizens present in TSR. First off all I am an international student, I have heard that if you study for a duration of 2 years in Australia you get your PR (Permanent Resident). Could someone please explain me the entire procedure. Can I get the PR while studying (i.e after 2 years) so my third year will be a lesser fee or do I have to apply after my course is over. Is this PR thing reliable or is it a marketing trick to attract foreign student?

Please someone help me to get this matter right.

THANKS a lot.
Cristalclear
Hey, wanted to ask a question to all australian students or citizens present in TSR. First off all I am an international student, I have heard that if you study for a duration of 2 years in Australia you get your PR (Permanent Resident). Could someone please explain me the entire procedure. Can I get the PR while studying (i.e after 2 years) so my third year will be a lesser fee or do I have to apply after my course is over. Is this PR thing reliable or is it a marketing trick to attract foreign student?

Please someone help me to get this matter right.

THANKS a lot.

I'm not an Australian but I have the answers to your questions.

Can I get the PR while studying (i.e after 2 years) so my third year will be a lesser fee or do I have to apply after my course is over.

Nope... you have to apply after your course is over. Getting a PR in Australia is not that easy. However, the easiest way to get the PR is by studying in Australia for atleast two years (as you already know) and completing an Australian degree, diploma or trade qualifications during the six months immediately preceding your application.

Generally, the skilled applicants (having foreign qualifications) need to show minimum three years of work experience to score points. On the other hand, international students do not need to meet the work experience requirement if he/she has completed an Australian qualification less than 6 months before lodging his/her visa application.

Warning: This exemption can not, however, be used to waive any specific work experience requirement imposed by an assessing body as part of a skills assessment. If you intend taking advantage of this concession, you should note that the 6 month period begins from the date of completion of the qualification, not from the date the qualification was conferred.

Is this PR thing reliable or is it a marketing trick to attract foreign student?

Yes, as far as I know, this PR thing is reliable coz many of my senior friends and relatives have successfully managed to get PR and now they're living and working in Australia.

I suggest you to visit this website to check all the eligibilities required for this typical PR visa.

To read about this PR scheme from the most trustable website, click on the following link (if you haven't visited the website already):

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/880/index.htm

Hope this helps. :smile:

Ashique
Reply 2
Thanks a lot for the reply ASHIQUE, it solved all my questions. Just one more question: If I study there for 2 years I will surely get it yeah? Are they any chances of not getting the PR visa, as I may especially go to australia from the PR, so I dont want to take any risk, and end up not getting it.
Reply 3
its pretty much intended to be free 'citizenship', you will get it. they don't refuse people.
Reply 4
aight, thanks.
Cristalclear
Thanks a lot for the reply ASHIQUE, it solved all my questions.
You're welcome... :smile:

Just one more question: If I study there for 2 years I will surely get it yeah? Are they any chances of not getting the PR visa, as I may especially go to australia from the PR, so I dont want to take any risk, and end up not getting it.

Well... if you meet all the requirements of getting the PR status (as stated in the website), you'll surely get it coz Australia is recruiting foreign-born graduates and professionals as the country is experiencing major skills shortages.

To be eligible for an Onshore General Skilled visa, you must be highly skilled and satisfy the basic requirements which are as follows.

Age - you must be under 45 when you apply.

English language you should have sufficient ability in the English language to work in Australia (at least at a vocational level).

Qualifications you must have post-secondary qualifications and your skills must be assessed by the relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation.

Nominated occupation - when you apply you nominate a skilled occupation, which fits your skills and qualifications. Your nominated occupation must be found on the Skilled Occupations List.

Recent work experience - the period of work experience required will vary depending on the number of points you may be granted for your nominated occupation.

Australian qualification exemption you do not need to meet the work experience requirement if you have completed an Australian qualification less than 6 months before lodging your visa application.

Skills assessment before you apply, you must have your skills assessed by the Australian assessing authority designated to assess your nominated occupation.

In addition to this, you must:

be ONSHORE in Australia when you make this application, and be in Australia at the time the visa is granted, holding a substantive student visa (any student visa other than ELICOS, AusAID, government sponsored and Defence Sector students or any Student visa with an 8535 condition attached); OR

have held a substantive Student visa at some time in the six months immediately before making the application and have not become unlawful; OR

be holders of a bridging visa A (Class WA) or Bridging visa B (Class WB) granted because you met the requirements for lodging a valid application for a Graduate Skilled (Temporary) visa

If you meet all those requirements and obtain 120 points, I don't see any problem in getting the PR. Just to be extra cautious, you can apply through a trustable agent (such as workpermit.com) as they will ensure of your possibility of getting the PR visa, prior to submitting your visa application.

Hope this answers your question. :smile:
Reply 6
<A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>
Well... if you meet all the requirements of getting the PR status (as stated in the website), you'll surely get it coz Australia is recruiting foreign-born graduates and professionals as the country is experiencing major skills shortages.

In mining yes :tongue:
bally
Yes... true.

For anyone interested in mining in Australia, read this. :p:

Apart from mining, there are LOADS of other skills shortages as listed here. :smile:
Reply 8
Unfortunately most of those are unqualified professions (from a degree point of view).
bally
Unfortunately most of those are unqualified professions (from a degree point of view).
Yes... i agree. Only the following degree-level jobs are under the skills shortages:

South Australia

Electronic Engineering Technician

Mechanical Engineering associate &#8211; Tool designer

Mechanical Engineering Technologist

Victoria

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

Queensland

Architectural Associate

Building Engineering Associate Professional

Civil Engineering Associate

Electrical Engineers

Electrical Engineering Associate

Electrical Engineering Technician

Electrical or Electronic Engineering Technologist

Mechanical Engineering Associate

Mechanical Engineering Technologist

Having one's skill/occupation listed in the 'skills shortages' can earn him/her extra points when applying for skilled immigration.

For anyone interested to apply to Australia for Skilled Immigration, check your degree-level occupation listed in the Australian Skilled Occupations List.
Reply 10
There are a lot of jobs for engineers, accountants, dentists, doctors etc.
That's why I aim to complete my Engineering degree course in the main Australia campus. :smile:

I heard the starting salary for engineers is A$40,000 per annum. Is this considered as a good salary in Australia?
Reply 12
<A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>
That's why I aim to complete my Engineering degree course in the main Australia campus. :smile:

I heard the starting salary for engineers is A$40,000 per annum. Is this considered as a good salary in Australia?

I guess so. Salary doesn't really matter. Although housing is expensive, but living costs are ok. You may want to get some ECs under your belt, since most grads come from larger unis.
bally
Lol. That's actually very true too.

Latest

Trending

Trending