The Student Room Group

Definition of Love Debate

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Al-Fatihah
Response: Psychology does not define words. The dictionary does. And the definition of love is to care. So again, your point is pointless.

Psychology however studies behaviour and mental states, of which love is a part, so psychology is well within it's right to classify different types of love.

Oh, and there are multiple definitions for love which determine on the type:

(1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties <maternal love for a child> (2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests <love for his old schoolmates>7

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/love
Reply 21
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Psychology however studies behaviour and mental states, of which love is a part, so psychology is well within it's right to classify different types of love.

Oh, and there are multiple definitions for love which determine on the type:

(1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties <maternal love for a child> (2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests <love for his old schoolmates>7

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/love

Response: Yet psychology still has no authority over the definition of words, so the point is still pointless.
Response: Yet psychology still has no authority over the definition of words, so the point is still pointless.

And yet psychology, which incorporates the study of love, is well placed to distinguish different types of love, which is reflected in the definitions of love (y'know - the ones in the dictionary, rather than the one you've made up)
Reply 23
And yet psychology, which incorporates the study of love, is well placed to distinguish different types of love, which is reflected in the definitions of love (y'know - the ones in the dictionary, rather than the one you've made up)

Response: Thus proving my point, since as you can't deny, that psychology does not define words. Therefore, the definition of love is to care, and psychology only provides the different types of ways to express it. Debunked as usual.
Response: Thus proving my point, since as you can't deny, that psychology does not define words. Therefore, the definition of love is to care, and psychology only provides the different types of ways to express it. Debunked as usual.

Go back a couple of posts and note that I gave the actual definitions of love - then note that those definitions vary depending on the type of love, as set out within psychology. Psychology does not define words itself, but however the definitions are based off of psychology because psychology has done the research into love.

Finally, stop saying the definition on love is to care - it isn't, I've provided you the dictionary definitions and that claimed definition appears nowhere.
Reply 25
Go back a couple of posts and note that I gave the actual definitions of love - then note that those definitions vary depending on the type of love, as set out within psychology. Psychology does not define words itself, but however the definitions are based off of psychology because psychology has done the research into love.

Finally, stop saying the definition on love is to care - it isn't, I've provided you the dictionary definitions and that claimed definition appears nowhere.

Response: So when you say you love someone, does that mean you don't care for them? Do they know that?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by G8D
With all the crazy definitions that words can have in arabic it seems rather narrow minded and desperate for a muslim to be so adamant to push just one for a word in English. Particularly a wrong one.

Response: Yet all the definitions are attributed to the word, not excluded. So your bogus response fails. Try again.
Reply 27
Original post by G8D
'to care' is a far too simplistic definition. It means far far more.

Response: Yet the dictionary says otherwise. Thanks for the clarification.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by G8D
Can you link your dictionary of choice, please?

Response: In other words, you don't know what a dictionary is.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by G8D
I do know what a dictionary is. And I've looked at more than one. None of them define 'love' as narrowly as you're desperate for it to be.

Response: In other words, we see illiteracy and blindness. Debunked as usual.
Reply 30
Original post by G8D
Your reluctance to expose your, likely fallacious, dictionary definition for scrutiny shows just how dishonest you're being. You know you're wrong. Why are you unable to accept it? Is it because you're little catch phrase wouldn't work without sustaining the lie? :frown:

Embarrassment as usual.

Response: Likewise.
x

Sorry to butt in... But to love not does not mean to just purely care. I think showing a little bit of humbleness when you know you are wrong doesn't do any harm, especially when it's a minor point just as this. I think pretty much everyone can agree that if I say I "care" for someone, it does not mean the same as loving them... For instance, I may care about my neighbour, in the way that I will be worried for them if they got injured or ill, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I love them.

So lets all just agree on that :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by G8D
Can you link your dictionary of choice, please?

Just be quiet, you can't even argue. Butting in conversations is a poor form.
Reply 33
Love

noun
[mass noun]
1a strong feeling of affection:
babies fill parents with intense feelings of love
their love for their country
a strong feeling of affection and sexual attraction for someone:
they were both in love with her
we were slowly falling in love
affectionate greetings conveyed to someone on one’s behalf:
give her my love
a formula for ending an affectionate letter:
take care, lots of love, Judy
2a great interest and pleasure in something:
his love for football
we share a love of music
3 [count noun] a person or thing that one loves:
she was the love of his life
their two great loves are tobacco and whisky
British informal a friendly form of address:
it’s all right, love
(a love) informal used in affectionate requests:
don’t fret, there’s a love
4(in tennis, squash, and some other sports) a score of zero; nil:
love fifteen
[apparently from the phrase play for love (i.e. the love of the game, not for money); folk etymology has connected the word with French l'oeuf 'egg', from the resemblance in shape between an egg and a zero]
verb
[with object]
feel deep affection or sexual love for (someone):
do you love me?
like or enjoy very much:
I’d love a cup of tea
I just love dancing
Reply 34
Original post by tania<3
Sorry to butt in... But to love not does not mean to just purely care. I think showing a little bit of humbleness when you know you are wrong doesn't do any harm, especially when it's a minor point just as this. I think pretty much everyone can agree that if I say I "care" for someone, it does not mean the same as loving them... For instance, I may care about my neighbour, in the way that I will be worried for them if they got injured or ill, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I love them.

So lets all just agree on that :tongue:

Response: I never stated that love just means to care. I said that loving someone involves caring, which was in refutation to someone who said that love does not include care. So using your own analogy, any reasonable person would agree that if you were to say that you "love" your neighbor, that does not mean that you don't care for them, but actually includes that you do.

So even on this minor point, as you say, I am not wrong. Rather, you should read the context before butting in, so you won't continue to be wrong.
Reply 35
Response: Psychology does not define words. The dictionary does. And the definition of love is to care. So again, your point is pointless.

Love often involves a feeling of care, but 'to love' is not wholly and exclusively the same as 'to care'. Can you provide a link to a reputable dictionary definition of love that states it is nothing more than (and equal to) 'to care'?
Reply 36
Original post by Eloquai
Love often involves a feeling of care, but 'to love' is not wholly and exclusively the same as 'to care'. Can you provide a link to a reputable dictionary definition of love that states it is nothing more than (and equal to) 'to care'?

Response: I don't provide links, for I avoid the "appeal to authority" arguments. But as I stated, love, (as defined in any dictionary so you can provide a link yourself) includes care.
Reply 37
Response: I don't provide links, for I avoid the "appeal to authority" arguments. But as I stated, love, (as defined in any dictionary so you can provide a link yourself) includes care.

If you're basing your argument around dictionary definitions of words, then you should be prepared to show what dictionaries and what specific definitions you're using. I don't dispute that love can involve care (though with statements such as as "I love chocolate! Let me eat this bar of chocolate!" love is present but not care), however you dismissed the definitions of love presented by Stiff Little Fingers because it doesn't correspond to how the dictionary defines love. If you can't provide a dictionary definition that states that 'to love' is solely 'to care', then your argument is baseless. Especially when several other posters have provided you with numerous dictionary definitions of love that extend far beyond simplistic notions of care.
Reply 38
Original post by Eloquai
If you're basing your argument around dictionary definitions of words, then you should be prepared to show what dictionaries and what specific definitions you're using. I don't dispute that love can involve care (though with statements such as as "I love chocolate! Let me eat this bar of chocolate!" love is present but not care), however you dismissed the definitions of love presented by Stiff Little Fingers because it doesn't correspond to how the dictionary defines love. If you can't provide a dictionary definition that states that 'to love' is solely 'to care', then your argument is baseless. Especially when several other posters have provided you with numerous dictionary definitions of love that extend far beyond simplistic notions of care.

Response: To the contrary, everyone here is speaking English, the same of which is found in the dictionary. So everyone bases their arguments on dictionary definitions. Not just me. Secondly, no one rejected Stiffs definitions, but rather, it's being shown to him that his own definitions prove my point. That is, that love has the same definition, which can be expressed differently. That is exactly what I say, and exactly what his definition shows. So your logic fails.
Reply 39
Response: To the contrary, everyone here is speaking English, the same of which is found in the dictionary. So everyone bases their arguments on dictionary definitions. Not just me. Secondly, no one rejected Stiffs definitions, but rather, it's being shown to him that his own definitions prove my point. That is, that love has the same definition, which can be expressed differently. That is exactly what I say, and exactly what his definition shows. So your logic fails.

'Love' does not always have the same definition - that's the whole point. There are numerous forms of love which are completely and utterly distinct and unique; my love for my grandmother is completely different to my love for Danish TV dramas. As I argued using the chocolate example, 'love' doesn't always have to involve care either. You explicitly rejected Stiff's argument that there are multiple forms of love (assertions that came from peer-reviewed journal articles), unless you're going to argue that this is not a rejection of Stiff's points:

Response: Yet the very definition of love is to care. So your logic that love is not based on caring for someone is your own made up language

Supporting a claim with peer-reviewed evidence is not the same as inventing your own private language. Given that you cannot substantiate your own claim that "...the very definition of love is to care." by providing a single dictionary definition that explicitly states so, I'm afraid your argument simply doesn't work.

I would say 'debunked as usual' here, but I don't want to be vindictive for the sake of vindictiveness. What I will say though is that if you're going to claim linguistic purity and authority on an issue (and automatically dismiss everyone else who provides contradictory evidence), then you'll need to actually bring forward evidence of your own. You're very fond of continuously asking people for evidence of evolution, so please don't fall into the trap of hypocrisy by claiming that your word alone can trump the evidence provided by other people - especially when your whole argument revolves around how the dictionary defines words.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending