The Student Room Group

Do street fundraisers annoy you?

Poll

Do street fundraisers ever annoy you?

To be honest, I find the majority of them a complete pain. I do respect the causes they work for (though you have to wonder how much of the money donated actually goes to the people who deserve it and note how much their chief execs are earning!). But the way they go about it is obnoxious. There should be regulations to prevent them from harassing people who clearly don't want to give to charity or brow-beating people into doing so.

I also have no issue with people like Big Issue sellers or those who, say, sell poppies for Remembrance Day or something. In my experience, some people who raise money for charity for good causes on the streets are polite and respectful,and they are more than welcome to be there as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I have often given to them in the past.

What completely and utterly pisses me off is those street fundraisers who seem to think it's their God-given right to actively harass you and yell after you to the point where it wouldn't be allowed if they were not working for a charity. There's a difference between a quick "Do you mind if I speak to you for a moment?" and actively dancing around in front of someone, being rude to them for exercising their perfect right not to talk to you and calling after you for a few minutes and basically being a dick. Sure, it's "for a good cause," doesn't give people the right to be manipulative and pushy. I live in London, and in my experience Greenpeace and Oxfam people are the worst.

I was walking down the High Street earlier when one of these guys from Oxfam started bothering me. Quite a few men had also just walked past him and not been bothered, it was absolutely ****ing obvious he was targeting me because he thought I'd be an easy target. He started dancing around and waving his arms in front of me, pulling faces, yelling at me, getting in my way, blocking me and being obnoxious so I just stepped around him and ignored him blank faced. "Oh, so you're just going to ignore me, then?" he shouted almost in my ear REALLY loudly. "You're just going to blank me?"

I really wanted to have a word with this person but unfortunately I was in a hurry. So I just rolled my eyes and walked on by. "It's for charity and a good cause, you should be ashamed of yourself!" he called as I walked off. Sure, boyo, try manipulating me into giving after you've just acted like a complete douche - that's really going to work.

I'm thinking of complaining TBH. Anyone else dislike these guys?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I admire their cause but I avoid them when I can and I don't make eye contact :tongue:

If I want to give, I will give in my own time..not when someone tells me to...

If they get pushy, I assume they're on commission :colonhash:
TBH you were pretty rude to him. You can at least acknowledge their existence by saying no thanks, not today and walking off. But yes, they annoy me.
They can be rude some times. Most of the time they are alright though. One guy got right in my face to talk to me but nearly tripped over on my walking stick. I didn't do it on purpose, I promise.

My biggest problem with them is that none that have spoken to me accept physical donations and all want it to be done through direct debit. Then they realise that I'm too young for that. Seems a bit counter intuitive to not have both options at least. Is that becoming more common?
Reply 4
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
I admire their cause but I avoid them when I can and I don't make eye contact :tongue:

If I want to give, I will give in my own time..not when someone tells me to...

If they get pushy, I assume they're on commission :colonhash:

I do avoid them when I can, but when you just flat out ignore them like I did today a lot of them will yell something rather rude/manipulative after you. :rolleyes:

I give to charity and volunteer anyway. But even if people don't want to I'd say it's their perfect right.

I guess a lot of them might be, yeah. No problem with charities paying people on commission IMO, so long as they make it clear to them they're not allowed to harass people either. Unfortunately, apparently some charities tell their people to do the complete opposite/be pushier with or bully certain demographics.
Reply 5
Charity is optional not mandatory and I hate people who try to force it upon you, that being said I give quite often (mostly to aid, homeless and cancer charities) I dont give to a certain animal charity here because I've seen their conditions and how reluctant they are to give a dog to a good home, but thats besides the point.

anyway yeh If I have a bit of spare change and feel the cause is worthy I walk past and just drop it in the bucket, but I hate ones who literally stop me or yell as I walk past

most of all though, I hate the ones that employ "attractive" young women who try and be slightly flirtacious (has anyone else noticed this?) its kinda bad though but I can see how it would work on some sleezy guys (btw these people who do this work, in my area anyway get about 7-9 pound an hour, I kid you not ive seen the job advertisements!)

one always makes me feel bad is for a charity for children with cancer, ive gave to them a few times (they opperate in the entrance to a shopping centre) and as you walk past in a realy condesending tone they go change from "collecting for" stragith to "children with cancer"

which guilt trips me mega, as im walking past a huge weight falls on me and I sigh and feel the need to donate, EMOTIONAL BLACKMAIL!
Reply 6
Original post by Rob da Mop
TBH you were pretty rude to him. You can at least acknowledge their existence by saying no thanks, not today and walking off. But yes, they annoy me.

No, I was not being rude. As a complete stranger, he has no right to be acknowledged by me at all. That said, had he asked something like "Do you mind if you speak to you for a minute?" I would have said no thanks - I usually do - but it was clear from the way he started to go about things (picking on me when I was the only girl on the street, dancing around in front of me and blocking my way, shouting at me) he was going to be annoying right from the word go.
Reply 7
Original post by chickenonsteroids
They can be rude some times. Most of the time they are alright though. One guy got right in my face to talk to me but nearly tripped over on my walking stick. I didn't do it on purpose, I promise.

My biggest problem with them is that none that have spoken to me accept physical donations and all want it to be done through direct debit. Then they realise that I'm too young for that. Seems a bit counter intuitive to not have both options at least. Is that becoming more common?

That's the sort of thing I mean, though - who harasses someone with a walking stick? :s-smilie:

I donate to a couple of causes through direct debit online, but most of the people I see collect physical donations as well :dontknow: Might be harder for them to cash in though?
Reply 8
I find them all really annoying to be honest, if you're in the middle of London Victoria train station most likely on the way from school/work you really don't want to be disturbed at the end of the day by an obnoxious, over-enthusiastic person who takes it as a personal insult when you choose to ignore them.

We know it's for a good cause but theres no need to literally shove charities in people's faces.
Reply 9
Just pretend you're a foreigner and slip away from them.
Reply 10
I do have respect for charities but yes they do annoy me, they're too insistent. I usually just walk past with a 'sorry' in their direction.

Once I had a pretty embarrassing situation with one. My mum has a habit of stopping and talking to them. One time she stopped and he went through his whole speech and everything. Then she gave him all her details etc. this took at least 20 minutes. Then he said what's the amount you would like to give us. She said something like £4 a month but then he was like 'the minimums £10'. Queue a really awkward 10 minutes of him trying to insist she gave him £10 a month. He didn't get his way unfortunately and we walked away half an hour later...

It was really embarrasing because I kept walking past him that day :redface: .
Reply 11
Original post by LukeM90
Charity is optional not mandatory and I hate people who try to force it upon you, that being said I give quite often (mostly to aid, homeless and cancer charities) I dont give to a certain animal charity here because I've seen their conditions and how reluctant they are to give a dog to a good home, but thats besides the point.

anyway yeh If I have a bit of spare change and feel the cause is worthy I walk past and just drop it in the bucket, but I hate ones who literally stop me or yell as I walk past

most of all though, I hate the ones that employ "attractive" young women who try and be slightly flirtacious (has anyone else noticed this?) its kinda bad though but I can see how it would work on some sleezy guys (btw these people who do this work, in my area anyway get about 7-9 pound an hour, I kid you not ive seen the job advertisements!)

one always makes me feel bad is for a charity for children with cancer, ive gave to them a few times (they opperate in the entrance to a shopping centre) and as you walk past in a realy condesending tone they go change from "collecting for" stragith to "children with cancer"

which guilt trips me mega, as im walking past a huge weight falls on me and I sigh and feel the need to donate, EMOTIONAL BLACKMAIL!

I'm a nice person but I'm quite logical (i.e. cold-hearted when need be) so the whole emotional blackmail thing just pisses me off TBH, I don't take well to manipulative people :biggrin:

The ruder someone is the less likely they are to get my money TBH. I have given to people in the past but like I said these have all been respectful, I have no problem with say buying a poppy for Remembrance Day or a copy of the Big Issue because those people are always nice. The ones I see preying on people on the streets and harassing them can **** off IMO :tongue:

Yeah, some of the tactics they use seem to be pretty underhand. I didn't know they hired attractive women and told them to be flirtatious to prey on guys, that is quite sleazy :s-smilie: I have been told they're often told to be more aggressive/pushy around people like young girls and stuff too because they think they'll give in more easily. That was part of what really annoyed me with the guy today, the fact he was choosing me to try his BS on when all the men on the street had not been bothered.
Reply 12
Original post by z4chary_
I find them all really annoying to be honest, if you're in the middle of London Victoria train station most likely on the way from school/work you really don't want to be disturbed at the end of the day by an obnoxious, over-enthusiastic person who takes it as a personal insult when you choose to ignore them.

We know it's for a good cause but theres no need to literally shove charities in people's faces.

That's the main thing :dontknow: You wonder if some of these people have ever learned social skills or basic manners/what's considered acceptable. A polite "Excuse me?" is fine, going on at someone like they're the next Hitler just because they say "No thank you" or ignore you when you jump in front of them in a crowded high street is not.
Original post by bramley
I do have respect for charities but yes they do annoy me, they're too insistent. I usually just walk past with a 'sorry' in their direction.

Once I had a pretty embarrassing situation with one. My mum has a habit of stopping and talking to them. One time she stopped and he went through his whole speech and everything. Then she gave him all her details etc. this took at least 20 minutes. Then he said what's the amount you would like to give us. She said something like £4 a month but then he was like 'the minimums £10'. Queue a really awkward 10 minutes of him trying to insist she gave him £10 a month. He didn't get his way unfortunately and we walked away half an hour later...

£10 a month?! Wow that's real demanding.

Original post by Alpha brah
That's the sort of thing I mean, though - who harasses someone with a walking stick? :s-smilie:

I donate to a couple of causes through direct debit online, but most of the people I see collect physical donations as well :dontknow: Might be harder for them to cash in though?

All the ones I've seen (granted it's 3 or 4 different charities) ask for direct debit. I've seen the physical ones a couple of times too but they don't approach me.
Reply 14
Original post by SoftPunch
Just pretend you're a foreigner and slip away from them.

I would brah, it doesn't really work though :tongue: Besides I guess I might have seemed like a foreigner to the guy I was ignoring today, he just continued being a douche?
I do avoid them when I can, but when you just flat out ignore them like I did today a lot of them will yell something rather rude/manipulative after you. :rolleyes:

I give to charity and volunteer anyway. But even if people don't want to I'd say it's their perfect right.

I guess a lot of them might be, yeah. No problem with charities paying people on commission IMO, so long as they make it clear to them they're not allowed to harass people either. Unfortunately, apparently some charities tell their people to do the complete opposite/be pushier with or bully certain demographics.

That's ridiculous, I've never been manipulated like that before when I walk past them....I would report them tbh and I will probably question their motive...charity or greed? :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Original post by bramley

I used to just do this yeah. A lot of the Greenpeace/Oxfam people round London will continue to try to guilt trip you for a minute even if you say "sorry" to them though, way too pushy :s-smilie:

That's silly, I would have just said the minimum's £10 if I were him and then stopped pressing the issue if the person declined :dontknow:

Your mum clearly has a lot more patience than I do :lol:
Reply 17
I would brah, it doesn't really work though :tongue: Besides I guess I might have seemed like a foreigner to the guy I was ignoring today, he just continued being a douche?

I'd honestly tell him to **** off. What an :bootyshake: Almost all of them are like that in my experience.
Reply 18
I was walking down the High Street earlier when one of these guys from Oxfam started bothering me. Quite a few men had also just walked past him and not been bothered, it was absolutely ****ing obvious he was targeting me because he thought "look at those tits." He started dancing around and waving his arms in front of me, pulling faces, yelling at me, getting in my way, blocking me and being obnoxious so I just stepped around him and ignored him blank faced. "Oh, so you're just going to ignore me, then?" he shouted almost in my ear REALLY loudly. "You're just going to blank me?"

:borat:

true story.
Reply 19
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
That's ridiculous, I've never been manipulated like that before when I walk past them....I would report them tbh and I will probably question their motive...charity or greed? :rolleyes:

I suspect it's because I'm a girl, maybe I should start yelling "Come At Me Bro" and flexing at them :lol:

Who do I report them to though? Genuinely thinking of complaining about the guy today, but I have a feeling if I email Oxfam about it it'll go in one ear and out the other, they must have heard about this numerous times before :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest