The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Official LSE firmer thread 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arminb
Interesting and pragmatic points you made bro. But the question is how good can we make comprehensive education?
If they be better than public schools then they'd be obsolete and no one will go to public schools. Besides, if someone doesn't want to go to uni like the leader of UKIP then its their choice but the problem is those who do want to go to uni but fail due to lack of facilities. . I remember back in GCSEs my teacher wrote my English lit. coursework because it was only two of us in the class. Imagine in state schools there are 20-30 in each lesson.
Besides, sometimes unis prefer privately educated students because of they have better numeracy and literacy skills which suits their courses.

It is not the class size which matters, its the control over those 20-30 students which is difficult, in state schools you get at around 3-4 "trouble makers" in a class out of 25 who disrupt the learning for the rest, get them in line and then the teachers can get on with their job, breaking classes up costs too much but discipline costs practically zero if done right. That being said, if a person wants to study he/she will study in any environment, revising for 2-3 hours a day each day isn't that much if you are used to it, but most people aren't and this is when the quality of the teacher really matters.

You say the uni's prefer privately educated students because they have better numeracy and literacy skills, yet you said before that most public school student's are spoon-fed, I'd say that spoon-fed students are worse to have in any situation simply because they can't think for themselves where as those state school students with less skills (compared to public school students) can think for themselves but they just need that extra piece of information to increase their effectiveness. In my opinion. the reason top uni's reject state school students is because of their application which due to a lack of knowledge and advice is much inferior compared to those students from public schools (who have much greater experience in dealing with these situations). If you want students from state schools to go to top uni's then you just have to close the information gap, either through workshops, mock interviews or through assemblies which is clearly a much cheaper option than splitting classes.

I go to a really poor state school and just happened to be in a year which outperformed the previous two years combined at AS level and 8 people (myself included) with highly realistic chances of getting into Oxbridge all got rejected, only those who applied for science related subjects got mock interviews and we had one consultant (who worked with 6 other schools) who would come in once every 7-8 weeks and hold a workshop every day he came to my school during my AS year. Apart from that we didn't get any support at all until September where one of the senior staff members (who had a child who studied at Cambridge) and our sixth form head started helping us with our personal statements, it's safe to say though that without the consultant advising on my personal statement during this September I wouldn't have got into LSE either. But what I mean is that if I had more regular support (same for all state school students), I could have been more confident during my interview and test, I am not saying that I would get into Oxbridge just that I would have had a slightly better chance. What's worse is that the consultant no longer works with our school anymore due to rumored differences with a senior staff member. However all of us study in huge classes for a lot of our subjects which clearly shows that the class size (and thus getting the grades) isn't the problem, its the support.

Edit: I really don't think that public school students are spoon-fed (at least 90% of them anyway), I was merely using your argument against you, and I also think that the culture in public schools tend to be more academically intense because many parents and students feel that they need to get the best out of the money they have spent. The same culture exists in grammar schools (and also for public school students who do not pay the full amount of their total fees) though more of their students tend to be naturally smart (as they have to take tests to enter in the first place).
(edited 10 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 461
Original post by President M.E.
At least we know who's on the debating society committee next year....

Not me. I will be running the LSE fight club next year.
Reply 462
Original post by TerribleTej
It is not the class size which matters, its the control over those 20-30 students which is difficult, in state schools you get at around 3-4 "trouble makers" in a class out of 25 who disrupt the learning for the rest, get them in line and then the teachers can get on with their job, breaking classes up costs too much but discipline costs practically zero if done right. That being said, if a person wants to study he/she will study in any environment, revising for 2-3 hours a day each day isn't that much if you are used to it, but most people aren't and this is when the quality of the teacher really matters.

You say the uni's prefer privately educated students because they have better numeracy and literacy skills, yet you said before that most public school student's are spoon-fed, I'd say that spoon-fed students are worse to have in any situation simply because they can't think for themselves where as those state school students with less skills (compared to public school students) can think for themselves but they just need that extra piece of information to increase their effectiveness. In my opinion. the reason top uni's reject state school students is because of their application which due to a lack of knowledge and advice is much inferior compared to those students from public schools (who have much greater experience in dealing with these situations). If you want students from state schools to go to top uni's then you just have to close the information gap, either through workshops, mock interviews or through assemblies which is clearly a much cheaper option than splitting classes.

I go to a really poor state school and just happened to be in a year which outperformed the previous two years combined at AS level and 8 people (myself included) with highly realistic chances of getting into Oxbridge all got rejected, only those who applied for science related subjects got mock interviews and we had one consultant (who worked with 6 other schools) who would come in once every 7-8 weeks and hold a workshop every day he came to my school during my AS year. Apart from that we didn't get any support at all until September where one of the senior staff members (who had a child who studied at Cambridge) and our sixth form head started helping us with our personal statements, it's safe to say though that without the consultant advising on my personal statement during this September I wouldn't have got into LSE either. But what I mean is that if I had more regular support (same for all state school students), I could have been more confident during my interview and test, I am not saying that I would get into Oxbridge just that I would have had a slightly better chance. What's worse is that the consultant no longer works with our school anymore due to rumored differences with a senior staff member. However all of us study in huge classes for a lot of our subjects which clearly shows that the class size (and thus getting the grades) isn't the problem, its the support.

Edit: I really don't think that public school students are spoon-fed (at least 90% of them anyway), I was merely using your argument against you, and I also think that the culture in public schools tend to be more academically intense because many parents and students feel that they need to get the best out of the money they have spent. The same culture exists in grammar schools (and also for public school students who do not pay the full amount of their total fees) though more of their students tend to be naturally smart (as they have to take tests to enter in the first place).

Let's just cut it out here. I think other people are getting really bored and it's taking a lot my time and we aren't getting anywhere either.
Reply 463
Original post by amp3rsand
I've applied to North. House :smile: It isn't to far from the school and the prices are alright. Although I did get an email today saying that I'll most probably get a decision after June as I live in London. Oh wells.

I hope Bankside looked alright :smile:

Ah, well at least you've applied... :/ And Bankside is real nice. Large rooms and a really nice location right opposite St Paul's. Unfortunately, it is very over subscribed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26773830 State school pupils do better at university than independent school candidates who have achieved the same A-level grades, a study shows.
Considering the debacle this thread has disintegrated into, I'm asking would religious schools be seen as private school despite having relatively low fees? (Coming from northern Ireland where religious schools are the norm. Rather than this state / private school divide)

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do people know about Rosebery?

I only want a 31 week contract, so I need to pick the order in which I choose Carr-Saunders, Passfield and Rosebery.

I plan on choosing Carr-Saunders as first choice, but what about the other two? I am aware in Passfield you are expected to share, which I am not keen on...
Rosebery is one of the most popular halls people apply to, so it should be quite a nice residence. Its medium sized, so its really sociable. Though passfield is also really sociable and is in a great area! So you can't really go wrong either way.
Hey guys, are there any of you guys doing economics OCR. I'm having trouble studying for the upcoming F583 exam. If anyone has tips on studying and revising, please do help me.

Much thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thunguyen168
Hey guys, are there any of you guys doing economics OCR. I'm having trouble studying for the upcoming F583 exam. If anyone has tips on studying and revising, please do help me.

Much thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmfao, great lateral thinking
Original post by Caecilius
Lmfao, great lateral thinking

We are offer holders for a reason.
But seriously, economics is my worst subject an I need an A. Any help would be much appreciated
Got accommodation in Passfield...twin room
Not my favourite...
Have to take it anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bird in water
Got accommodation in Passfield...twin room
Not my favourite...
Have to take it anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you'll be able to swap, lots of people apparently do
Original post by NedStark
I'm sure you'll be able to swap, lots of people apparently do

How did they do that? Do I send an email to them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 474
How did they do that? Do I send an email to them

Posted from TSR Mobile

I asked them and they said you can't actually so the swap until after fresher's week, and it costs £50 for each person in the swap! The other option is the waiting list but the guy I spoke to on the phone said that they can't guarantee accommodation, and those people who already had an offer get the lowest priority so could get a worse/no offer
Original post by TRR
I asked them and they said you can't actually so the swap until after fresher's week, and it costs £50 for each person in the swap! The other option is the waiting list but the guy I spoke to on the phone said that they can't guarantee accommodation, and those people who already had an offer get the lowest priority so could get a worse/no offer

Fair enough
Thxxxx!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally applied today!

Rosbery
Carr-Saunders
Passfield.
Fair enough
Thxxxx!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I put in an advance offer for that swap, in case I don't get a good room, haha?
Original post by Caecilius
Can I put in an advance offer for that swap, in case I don't get a good room, haha?

Sure if I get an 'amazing' roommate!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StretfordEnd
Finally applied today!

Rosbery
Carr-Saunders
Passfield.

Wicked! I'm officially worried now... seems like everyone is stealing a march on accommodation while I haven't got round to doing any research on it yet :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending