The Student Room Group

Potential Theology 2015 applicants?

Hey, i'm in year 12 and hoping to study theology at university but it seems like i'm the only one! Is there anyone else hoping to apply for theology and where to? Let's get a discussion going:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here. Want to apply to KU leuven for either theology or philosophy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Micccol
Here. Want to apply to KU leuven for either theology or philosophy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ooo a reply! KU? Not familiar with that abbreviation
Reply 3
It's the catholic university of leuven in Belgium. 2nd oldest in Europe I belive. I highly reccomend you look at it. Very quality and very cheap.
Original post by Jasey
Hey, i'm in year 12 and hoping to study theology at university but it seems like i'm the only one! Is there anyone else hoping to apply for theology and where to? Let's get a discussion going:biggrin:

Hey I'm thinking of applying too, where are you thinking of going?
Reply 5
Original post by Veronikaz
Hey I'm thinking of applying too, where are you thinking of going?

Wow I don't even remember making this thread - erm, cambridge, durham, edinburgh, st andrew's and KCL will be my options i think - maybe also bristol, exeter or birmingham. How about you? :smile:
Original post by Jasey
Wow I don't even remember making this thread - erm, cambridge, durham, edinburgh, st andrew's and KCL will be my options i think - maybe also bristol, exeter or birmingham. How about you? :smile:

Same, maybe Oxford or Nottingham potentially! Depends on my grades to be honest :/ one thing that bothers me, people aren't too keen on students with a theology degree, it's considered a waste of time by many (not by me ofc!) what's your opinion on that?
Reply 7
Same, maybe Oxford or Nottingham potentially! Depends on my grades to be honest :/ one thing that bothers me, people aren't too keen on students with a theology degree, it's considered a waste of time by many (not by me ofc!) what's your opinion on that?

I thought that too but I now realise it's a load of tosh. If it's done at a good university then there's a wealth of doors that are open to you and it's as useful as any other arts subject. I thankfully have teachers who studied theology at Cambridge, Oxford and Edinburgh and they all told me that their peers had gone on to be successful lawyers, investment bankers, teachers, management consultants, journalists and all sorts of other things!
Original post by Jasey
I thought that too but I now realise it's a load of tosh. If it's done at a good university then there's a wealth of doors that are open to you and it's as useful as any other arts subject. I thankfully have teachers who studied theology at Cambridge, Oxford and Edinburgh and they all told me that their peers had gone on to be successful lawyers, investment bankers, teachers, management consultants, journalists and all sorts of other things!

Oh that's great! Unfortunately my teachers aren't as good. But you also hear about people graduating from Cambridge with a philosophy degree and ending up unemployed so yeah, it's a bit of a risk!
Reply 9
What are your favorite topics within theology? To both... And are either of you religious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Oh that's great! Unfortunately my teachers aren't as good. But you also hear about people graduating from Cambridge with a philosophy degree and ending up unemployed so yeah, it's a bit of a risk!

It's usually because they don't know what they want to do with themselves or didn't think about it/set it up when in university - there's loads and loads of factors to consider really
Reply 11
Original post by Micccol
What are your favorite topics within theology? To both... And are either of you religious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't studied much so I like a bit of everything. Ranges from hermeneutics, christian themes in literature, christian art, contemporary cultural impacts of religion, religion in literature and church history, how about you? :smile:
Original post by Micccol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I'm not religious and according to my philosophy teacher it is very difficult to stay religious after you've studied theology, especially Christian theology. I am very interested in the origins of Christianity, how it developed, so mainly history of religion. At my school we get to study philosophy of religion and religious ethics so I guess my focus is connoted by those. It's very stereotypical to think that those studying theology are automatically full on religious, it's about 50\50 I think
Original post by Jasey
It's usually because they don't know what they want to do with themselves or didn't think about it/set it up when in university - there's loads and loads of factors to consider really

True. Gee, hopefully I'll see you on one of the open days!
Reply 14
True. Gee, hopefully I'll see you on one of the open days!

Hopefully! I've only booked one for Cambridge thus far for Friday 5th July i think. It'll be nice to see other theology candidates because there's very very few
Reply 15
Original post by Jasey
I haven't studied much so I like a bit of everything. Ranges from hermeneutics, christian themes in literature, christian art, contemporary cultural impacts of religion, religion in literature and church history, how about you? :smile:

I like systematics, and liberation theology. Then also the biblical history. And dude that's so cool you like the religion in literature.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Well, I'm not religious and according to my philosophy teacher it is very difficult to stay religious after you've studied theology, especially Christian theology.

Wow really? Do you know why? That actually comes as quite suprising to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Micccol
I like systematics, and liberation theology. Then also the biblical history. And dude that's so cool you like the religion in literature.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Forgot to answer your second question, I don't know how religious I would call myself. I'm a Catholic but i'm not much of a 'follow the rules' Christian but more a humanist who believes in exhibiting more christ-like behaviour and promoting certain virtues more than preaching about God or telling people about Jesus. That type of character can be attributed to theists and non theists however so I don't know what I'd call myself. I do know i'm as pious as Pope Francis during exam season though:angel:
Reply 18
Original post by Jasey
Forgot to answer your second question, I don't know how religious I would call myself. I'm a Catholic but i'm not much of a 'follow the rules' Christian but more a humanist who believes in exhibiting more christ-like behaviour and promoting certain virtues more than preaching about God or telling people about Jesus. That type of character can be attributed to theists and non theists however so I don't know what I'd call myself. I do know i'm as pious as Pope Francis during exam season though:angel:

Ah that's cool man. I think we would be friends. I'm a catholic, but a very liberal one (if such a thing is possible). I do struggle with certain aspects of Christianity like salvation and the ressurection...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Micccol
Ah that's cool man. I think we would be friends. I'm a catholic, but a very liberal one (if such a thing is possible). I do struggle with certain aspects of Christianity like salvation and the ressurection...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm the same, 'liberal catholic' seems to be an oxymoron to most and, to be honest, even me. And I too struggle with many aspects of Christianity but like to take its good bits to impact my life. I'm not too fussed if things like salvation and the resurrection aren't actually true because I think the moral teachings that can come from them are more important and accessible to everyone anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending