The Student Room Group

Where in Europe would you recommend us to go?

So my best friend and I are planning a trip away this summer before uni. We initially wanted to go interrailing, but because it would be my friends first holiday away her mum would prefer if we just go to the one country. A central part of what we're looking for is scenery. We'd like the option of having a chilled out day, sailing canoeing, walking or whatever. So we want to have that natural aspect.

However, we also want to stay preferably in the capital city so that we can explore the history, culture and have something to do in the evenings as I'm 18 and she will be too when we go.

If anyone has any ideas that would be a great help! We would like to avoid Paris and go somewhere completely new and were thinking maybe Germany/Netherlands/Belgium area - but we're honestly open to anything!

P.S. It would be great if you could post cost effective ideas too :smile: We're not constricted just to Europe, it's just more likely with our budget. But if there is anywhere outside Europe then feel free to post, we're open to ideas.
Original post by tssf_skye
but because it would be my friends first holiday away her mum would prefer if we just go to the one country.

I 'get' this but at the same time it doesn't really make any sense. Your friend and you will be in no more danger by visiting two countries than by visiting one; given that there are no border controls between the vast majority of European countries, it doesn't really make any difference anyway how many countries you visit.

Based on all that you've said, I'd recommend Slovenia. Beautiful mountains with lots of activities (including rafting, kayaking, hiking etc), a small, safe and beautiful capital city, a beach or two, spas, horseriding, lots of hostels and good transport, very safe, lots of friendly English speaking locals. Cheap to get to (Easyjet and Wizzair to Ljubljana, or do as many do and get a cheap flight to Italy or Austria and a bus/train across the border). It's not the cheapest place in Europe but also far from being the most expensive, and it's nice and compact so it doesn't take long to get from A to B (city-mountains in about an hour by bus, city to coast about 1.5-2 hours).
Croatia?! It's so beautiful. Dubrovnik and the surrounding islands are gorgeous and there's plenty of walking/cycling routes, watersports etc, as well as relaxing beaches! Not sure how wild the nightlife is, but I'm sure if you researched it you'd be able to find somewhere!!!
Also, Greece might be a good idea? Maybe some island-hopping to make sure you get the most of the history, relaxation, activities and nightlife! It's supposedly quite cheap at the minute too?
Hope you find somewhere lovely!! xxx
If you are thinking of Germany, Belgium or the Netherlands, I'd suggest one of either Berlin, Antwerp or Leiden.
Really try to convince your friends mum to allow her to go interraillng, It is one of the best experiences you will ever have. Once you start you really can't stop :smile:, If not look into going to Berlin. It is a vibrant and bustling city but you can take day trips to much more quiet little towns full of activities.

Enjoy :biggrin:
Reply 5
Cannes, St. Tropez, France or Marbella, Spain or Portofino, Italy... There's also Florence, Milan, Bordeaux, Paris et al... So many places to go, take out the map and throw a dart at a city and go, you'll be fine :h:
Reply 6
So my best friend and I are planning a trip away this summer before uni. We initially wanted to go interrailing, but because it would be my friends first holiday away her mum would prefer if we just go to the one country. A central part of what we're looking for is scenery. We'd like the option of having a chilled out day, sailing canoeing, walking or whatever. So we want to have that natural aspect.

However, we also want to stay preferably in the capital city so that we can explore the history, culture and have something to do in the evenings as I'm 18 and she will be too when we go.

If anyone has any ideas that would be a great help! We would like to avoid Paris and go somewhere completely new and were thinking maybe Germany/Netherlands/Belgium area - but we're honestly open to anything!

P.S. It would be great if you could post cost effective ideas too :smile: We're not constricted just to Europe, it's just more likely with our budget. But if there is anywhere outside Europe then feel free to post, we're open to ideas.

I'm in Munich right now and its very easy to get out to the mountains, countryside and also to go canoeing etc. The scenery is stunning really. Lots of culture here too obviously.

And its a nice chilled city for a few beers come night-time too :wink:
Spain could be a good option! If you do decide to go here, make sure you visit Barcelona...for me it's got everything including history and culture, as well as a great nightlife and amazing food. I stayed in El Born when I visited, just around the corner from the Picasso museum, it's so much nicer than the touristy Las Ramblas area!
Reply 8

So you want a major city surrounded by nature. Here are my suggestions:

Berlin

Not much to say about that - Germany's capital, loads of history and great museums, considered the party/clubbing capital of Europe. It's pretty cheap as well.

Berlin is a city state surrounded by the state of Brandenburg which has one of the lowest population densities of the German states and is mostly covered by forests, rivers and lakes. Perfect for some outdoor activities. Berlin itself is actually Europe's greenest major city, with 18% of its area made up of parks and forests.

Munich

German food, beer, loads of history and stuff to see. Close to the mountains (hiking) and generally surrounded by Bavaria's amazing countryside.

Stockholm

A beautiful city with loads to see and do, and Sweden is renowned for its landscape - you will find loads of outdoor activities.

Florence

Highest density of art in the world. Easily the most beautiful and historic city out of those I'm listing here, plus it's pretty cheap and the food (wine etc.) is great. You will find some of the finest museums on the planet. And if you're tired of the city, off you go to the surrounding rural Tuscany. Other famous cities like Pisa or San Gimignano are just an hour drive away and make great destinations for daytrips.

I wouldn't bet that canoeing is a big thing there though, and you might not really want to wander around in the countryside much in the summer heat.
(edited 10 years ago)
ireland..its magic.

Quick Reply

Latest