The Student Room Group

Social Work Scotland

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Sww14
Sent my calley essay away last week....it was horrible lol. Just a waiting game now with baited breath :frown:

OH my god I know, it's awful! I've spent my saturday night working on it :frown:
Reply 221
Don't worry, you'll get there in the end :wink:. Once I eventually gathered my thoughts and realised what I had to do, the challenge was to whittle it down to 1000 words lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any updates guys?
Hi guys,

Hope all is good and you have the decisions that you were looking for. All the very best for those who are waiting on decisions.

My position is a wee bit tricky. I have 3 superb offers. One for Edinburgh Uni, for RGU and for the University of Strathclyde - all superb unis, also all regarded extremely highly for social work.

I love the history of Edinburgh and the fact it is ranked the top Uni for social work must be considered too. RGU has an excellent reputation for its placements - the best in Scotland. And it has a great Erasmus programme. Finally, the University of Strathclyde was where I completed my access course. It is both friendly and extremely highly thought of. I also love Glasgow as a city.

Help, help, help!!!

Any guidance would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Al
Hi Al,

Is it the MSc you're going for? When was your interview at RGU?

The fees at Edinburgh are extortionate; around £7k if I remember correctly.
Original post by thommo83
Hi guys,

Hope all is good and you have the decisions that you were looking for. All the very best for those who are waiting on decisions.

My position is a wee bit tricky. I have 3 superb offers. One for Edinburgh Uni, for RGU and for the University of Strathclyde - all superb unis, also all regarded extremely highly for social work.

I love the history of Edinburgh and the fact it is ranked the top Uni for social work must be considered too. RGU has an excellent reputation for its placements - the best in Scotland. And it has a great Erasmus programme. Finally, the University of Strathclyde was where I completed my access course. It is both friendly and extremely highly thought of. I also love Glasgow as a city.

Help, help, help!!!

Any guidance would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

From the sounds of it I am guessing that it is a UG you are going for? As the Eramus programme is only for UG.

Which city can you imagine yourself living in for 4 years?
Hi,

Yeah. It's for the undergraduate programme. I'm a mature student, so that is a consideration too. Which Uni is best for mature undergraduates. Like everyone on here, I am really excited about September.

I have lived in Edin for a good bit, so I think that may be serving as a disadvantage for me. I'm also concerned about the interview at the end of year 2. I think to myself, what if they don't deem me to be the person to progress to yr3 of the programme. And, I do feel that not having an Erasmus programme is a bit of a disadvantage.

RGU and Strathyclyde are also great unis. Both have really good job prospects, and I'm sure that I would enjoy being a student at either institute. I loved my time as an access student at the University of Strathclyde - the people were so friendly.

My interview at RGU was the 12 March - Rlilja. How about you? Are you doing the MSC? What were your thoughts about the Uni?

Thanks,

Al
Reply 227
Hi,

Yeah. It's for the undergraduate programme. I'm a mature student, so that is a consideration too. Which Uni is best for mature undergraduates. Like everyone on here, I am really excited about September.

I have lived in Edin for a good bit, so I think that may be serving as a disadvantage for me. I'm also concerned about the interview at the end of year 2. I think to myself, what if they don't deem me to be the person to progress to yr3 of the programme. And, I do feel that not having an Erasmus programme is a bit of a disadvantage.

RGU and Strathyclyde are also great unis. Both have really good job prospects, and I'm sure that I would enjoy being a student at either institute. I loved my time as an access student at the University of Strathclyde - the people were so friendly.

My interview at RGU was the 12 March - Rlilja. How about you? Are you doing the MSC? What were your thoughts about the Uni?

Thanks,

Al

Hi,

I am also a mature student and off to rgu for ug, must have seen you because my interview was the same day! well done on getting 3 offers! i only applied to rgu because of my family commitments.

Go with your instinct and the vibes you feel for the uni, if that isn't right then it could be a long 4 years, wouldnt stress too much about interview at edinburgh, you got 3 offers so each uni obviously see potential in you!

Good luck and hope you dont have too many sleepless nights!
Hi,

Thanks,

Al

Since Social Work is a accredited course it will probably be VERY unlikely that you'd be able to do the ERASMUS program anyway. I know that for my Psychology UG we weren't allowed to go abroad for a year because if the strict guidelines that BPS put in place. I am almost 100% sure that SSSC also has such guidelines in place.
Hi Joden,

Well done on getting through also!! I am very much drawn to RGU. The structure of the course and the student experiences were something that have given me a lot of food for thought. I know I could settle back into life in the North East very easily again. I'm also drawn to a course where there will be a larger group of students - possibly a round 90 or so. Everyone seemed really friendly.

The Erasmus programme is definitely an option at RGU. You will probably remember Joden, that RGU had paid for one of the current students - who fielded questions - to take an intense language course to learn German. That seems to me as if it is a university that really cares about their students.

I guess I just want to get this one absolutely right. None of the three options are bad in any way. I worry too much about silly wee things. We're all on this because we have an exciting period of our lives ahead, so well done everyone!!!

I know I can get there. I haven't felt as excited as this in a long time as I know this is a career change I should have made a good while ago!!

All the best!

Al
Reply 230
Is anyone still waiting for a reply from Strathclyde UG Social Work?
Hellooo.. that's me got everything sorted ( SAAS and SSSC complete and all verified). Just need a notification of commencement from Strathclyde when the course starts to be sent to the SSSC! How's everyone else getting on?
Reply 232
Hey, wondering if anyone whose already completed SSSC registration could help me as it's making no sense to me?! Also does anyone know what the crack is in regards to DBS checking? Does the uni send us out a form or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sw17
Hey, wondering if anyone whose already completed SSSC registration could help me as it's making no sense to me?! Also does anyone know what the crack is in regards to DBS checking? Does the uni send us out a form or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey what university is it your starting with? Caledonian have sent me some guidance on SSSC registration - not proving straightforward as I'm having to get The Open University to do it, think it's easier if you work in social care?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 234
I'm going to Caley too. Yeah I got the information but I'm in the same situation as you as I've just finished school. It all seems to be geared for people who already work in social care setting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sw17
I'm going to Caley too. Yeah I got the information but I'm in the same situation as you as I've just finished school. It all seems to be geared for people who already work in social care setting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I phoned The SSSC and she said if you don't work in social care then it's the present employer or college/university/school and last resort GP, would the head at your school do it? I made an account on the SSSC website, filled out the online form to apply as a student then at the end if your verifier does not have an account with them then you have the option to print the paperwork, the verifier/endorser can be the same person and they sign to say they have seen all your id and that you are of good character, does this help at all? I was so confused with it! That's great your starting at cally not long now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sw17

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to Cali too but starting from year 2.
Original post by AshRobertson
Hellooo.. that's me got everything sorted ( SAAS and SSSC complete and all verified). Just need a notification of commencement from Strathclyde when the course starts to be sent to the SSSC! How's everyone else getting on?

Hey ash that's great your all sorted, I'm getting there lol! Saas completed and SSSC sent away so here's hoping that's it! I start at cally week of 15th hopefully! Here's hoping you will hear what date you start soon!is it strathclyde your going to?It's getting close now! How did you get on with SSSC application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ariannemark
Hey ash that's great your all sorted, I'm getting there lol! Saas completed and SSSC sent away so here's hoping that's it! I start at cally week of 15th hopefully! Here's hoping you will hear what date you start soon!is it strathclyde your going to?It's getting close now! How did you get on with SSSC application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm heading to Strathclyde. I think we're actually quite late, 28th of September maybe? On UCAS is said the 15th but I think that was just a general date! I have nothing left to do, wish I'd dragged it out more as now I'm impatient haha! I pretty much went about the SSSC like you did, although I managed to fill in my existing members form wrong (idiot?!) And had to send another one, no matter though as it's all been confirmed and I've no other conditions to meet:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 239
Yeah I'll email my head of year and ask. Thanks so much for your help! So do we just send our supporting documents to them along with our completed DBS form?
I actually can't wait... 80 days till we start, can you tell I'm excited 🙌🙌

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest