The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

loggins
Ok, sorry guys for the misunderstanding, just be glad I favoured the better uni! :smile:

I'd say you made the right choice, but then I'm a trifle biased, and I have friends who went to York and loved it, so if you end up going to York in clearing or some such at a later date I wouldn't worry too much :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
York is a gorgeous city, sh***y campus though!
Reply 22
sh***y campus though!

Why would you have wanted it as insurance then? Why not go for somewhere aesthetically pleasing?
Reply 23
Because i'm not that shallow, otherwise i'd have gone for Royal Holloway, which I've heard is remarkably aesthetically pleasing!
Reply 24
Because i'm not that shallow, otherwise i'd have gone for Royal Holloway, which I've heard is remarkably aesthetically pleasing!

Doubt its as nice as Durham though :smile:
Reply 25
Probably not :smile:
Reply 26
It's in Egham...
Reply 27
Why would someone turn down a top uni like York to go to a more average one? I think you should beg York to give you that offer back and duly accept a place at one of Britian's finest academic institutions!
Reply 28
Amnesia
Why would someone turn down a top uni like York to go to a more average one? I think you should beg York to give you that offer back and duly accept a place at one of Britian's finest academic institutions!

There should be a vomit smiley for replying to posts like this...
Reply 29
Amnesia
Why would someone turn down a top uni like York to go to a more average one?

:toofunny:
Reply 30
danfel
There should be a vomit smiley for replying to posts like this...

There is....... :puke:

Guess where they go to uni :rolleyes:
Reply 31
Rach:)
There is....... :puke:

Guess where they go to uni :rolleyes:

Yep... surprise surprise. :rolleyes:
Reply 32
Shh, they have 'concreteitis', a disease caused by being overexposed to 60s university campuses.
How do they know you have Durham as their choice though?
Reply 34
I am actually trying to give the OP some serious advice. I always think people should aim as high as they can achieve. All you Durham people are obviously going to be biased, I am just trying to give the other side of the story.
Reply 35
I'd rather eat my own face...
Reply 36
Number one......in The Times University league table Durham is ranked 10th; York is ranked 15th.

Number two...I'm not sure what course the OP is applying for, but he mentioned German......in The Times German league table Durham is ranked 8th, whilst York doesn't even make an appearance.

Number three.....Durham is University of the Year.

So I think that we can safely conclude that Durham is distinctly not an average university and that the OP has made a good decision :biggrin:
Reply 37
Number one......in The Times University league table Durham is ranked 10th; York is ranked 15th.

Number two...I'm not sure what course the OP is applying for, but he mentioned German......in The Times German league table Durham is ranked 8th, whilst York doesn't even make an appearance.

Number three.....Durham is University of the Year.

So I think that we can safely conclude that Durham is distinctly not an average university and that the OP has made a good decision :biggrin:

Word.

York is a good univeristy. That's almost irrefutable. But I would only have gone there if I hadn't received an offer from Durham, which is an excellent uni. Likewise, if I'd received an offer from an amazing university (Oxford, in my case), I would have taken that over Durham. I preferred Durham to Oxford on the whole, but Oxford's reputation is better, IMO. Similarly, Durham's is better than York's.
Reply 38

I notice that you fail to mention that York is higher placed than Durham in The Sunday Times and The Guardian league tables. And the table you mention is the same table where Loughborough was ranked the best university outside Oxbridge/London, therefore that it does not seem very reliable if you ask me.

[QUOTE=Rach[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace]]Number two...I'm not sure what course the OP is applying for, but he mentioned German......in The Times German league table Durham is ranked 8th, whilst York doesn't even make an appearance.

The OP did not mention what course he was doing at Durham. And I don't think York offers a single honours German degree anyway.

[QUOTE=Rach[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace]]Number three.....Durham is University of the Year.

Does not really mean anything. York also won that a couple of years ago, the award hardly represents the best university in the country.

[QUOTE=Rach[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace]So I think that we can safely conclude that Durham is distinctly not an average university and that the OP has made a good decision :biggrin:

I think we can safely conclude that Durham is not an average university. I will acknowledge that it is a good university, although it certainly does not have the reputation that some of you seem to believe. As to whether the OP made the right choice I don't think so, but I suppose that my opinion just like yours is going to be subjective and rather biased.
Reply 39
If York is so irrefutably amazing, it seems odd to me that its students have the time to randomly haunt forums supposedly relating to other universities *strokes beard*

Anyway, I don't really care. I can't wait to go to Durham and that's that. :biggrin:

Latest