The Student Room Group

University of Salford - Television and Radio 2014

I got an unconditional offer from Salford yesterday, to study 'Television and Radio' starting September 2014. It wasn't a main choice, but after a closer inspection it seems this could definitely be the place for me! Anyone attending or know anything about the Uni? How is it for media subjects (With MediaCityUK etc), Accommodation, Teaching, Student life, Employability, from an experience view point? Would be cool to learn things first hand! Thanks...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey,
I have just received an Unconditional offer for TV and Radio at Salford aswell.

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007156FT-A_TVR_F This will tell you what the students thought about the course and what they are doing now.
As for student life, I am presuming you are talking about the night life? Well it is in Manchester and Manchester has a crazy night life.

Hope this was of help for you, and if you chose to go there, see you in September! x
Reply 2
I went to a Salford open day for the same course. I walked out and spent the rest of my day shopping in Manchester instead, I certainly wasn't the only person that had left.

The facilities and the location are great. However, the students seemed unenthusiastic and said they don't use this, don't use that etc. It seemed that they had learnt nothing, didn't even know what software they had been using. They actually don't have connections with BBC or ITV, just advertise what placements are on offer. I have also met other people who have attended Salford, and they didn't rate it high either.

So I avoided putting Salford on my UCAS application (along with Hertfordshire which I also visited), and I am most likely going to firm my conditional offer for TV Production at Bournemouth University.
Reply 3
Original post by KBradders
I went to a Salford open day for the same course. I walked out and spent the rest of my day shopping in Manchester instead, I certainly wasn't the only person that had left.

The facilities and the location are great. However, the students seemed unenthusiastic and said they don't use this, don't use that etc. It seemed that they had learnt nothing, didn't even know what software they had been using. They actually don't have connections with BBC or ITV, just advertise what placements are on offer. I have also met other people who have attended Salford, and they didn't rate it high either.

So I avoided putting Salford on my UCAS application (along with Hertfordshire which I also visited), and I am most likely going to firm my conditional offer for TV Production at Bournemouth University.

I am a final year student at Salford reading Television and Radio and this seems very surprising! We all have full access and are trained to use the TV and radio studios as well as editing suites and a dedicated audio post room.

We also get a constant stream of emails with unique placement opportunities and although there isn't a formal link as such, the majority of teaching staff are ex BBC/ ITV etc with plenty of connections which get ferried our way (just last week I was a studio camera operator for BBC learning, making videos for GCSE religious ed with Angelica Bell presenting!).

What course were the ambassadors on? If it was TV and Radio or a similar course like Professional Sound and Video Tech or Media Production then they need to pay more attention in seminars!
Reply 4
Original post by AKH12
I am a final year student at Salford reading Television and Radio and this seems very surprising! We all have full access and are trained to use the TV and radio studios as well as editing suites and a dedicated audio post room.

We also get a constant stream of emails with unique placement opportunities and although there isn't a formal link as such, the majority of teaching staff are ex BBC/ ITV etc with plenty of connections which get ferried our way (just last week I was a studio camera operator for BBC learning, making videos for GCSE religious ed with Angelica Bell presenting!).

What course were the ambassadors on? If it was TV and Radio or a similar course like Professional Sound and Video Tech or Media Production then they need to pay more attention in seminars!

The ambassadors were 1st Year Television and Radio (the open day was June last year). But I have also known people who have been to Salford, and I haven't heard a single good thing about it. I decided to give the place a visit because I liked the course on paper, I liked the location, and I know everyone has their own tastes and preferences, but unfortunately I was far from impressed.

On the other hand Hertfordshire was much worse. They didn't let you have a look around the facilities (apart from sitting in the studio), the tutors could only just boast about their achievements, the student work wasn't great, and the entire open day was a mess.

Glad you're enjoying the course though.
Reply 5
I'm still waiting to hear back from them, I absolutely loved it on open day! The only course that's really jumped out at me and the place felt like I could call it home. Congrats on the unconditional!
Reply 6
I received an unconditional for TV and Radio too, although got one for Salford's Broadcast Journalism course as well.. so I don't know which one to do yet. Last summer, I did a masterclass at the university for a week and thought the uni was brilliant: great facilities, location and we even had a lesson from Matt O' Donoghue (a reporter from ITV) and Richard Moriarty (from the sun newspaper) - so they have the connections that we will need to make it in the industry. The teachers all seemed lovely and not sure about Salford night-life, but I think there is a free bus from the accommodation to Manchester (which is a great night out)

Possibly see you guys in September :smile:
Hi guys, I'm thinking of applying to Salford for News Journalism next year after a gap year- How lenient, did you feel, they were at giving offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Emma_Hey
Hey,
I have just received an Unconditional offer for TV and Radio at Salford aswell.

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007156FT-A_TVR_F This will tell you what the students thought about the course and what they are doing now.
As for student life, I am presuming you are talking about the night life? Well it is in Manchester and Manchester has a crazy night life.

Hope this was of help for you, and if you chose to go there, see you in September! x

That's awesome! This has helped, there have been a few negative reports on my question, but i guess i will go to an open day to see more about it! Really think this could be my course! See you in September! x
Got my unconditional offer through the other day, which was lucky as Salford was the only uni I applied for. I know people on the course and they love it. Lot of opportunities, and they're learning loads. I went to the open day in June and it wasn't the best day, and din't sell the uni as good as it could have, but having been to open days at other unis, I have to say that Salford's was one of the better ones.
Reply 10
Has anyone had an invitation from Salford for the Royal Television Society Awards Conference? and if so, are you thinking of going?
Yeah, got an invite yesterday. I'll be going, it looks good.
Reply 12
it does look good, but I'll probably have to give it a miss this year - sure you will have a great time :smile:
Reply 13
At first I wasn't impressed by the uni. The open day was poor but I went back and met with a lecturer and we got to sit and talk through it all. I have got an unconditional offer for the course and I think im going to accept but a part of me still isnt sure.
Reply 14
I'm studying TV & Radio in September! I'm trying to find other people who are, seems impossible
I am :smile: accepted my offer, can't wait!
Reply 16
I've accepted my tv and radio offer! :biggrin: Staying in Castle Irwell
Reply 17
Hey! I am :smile: What are you looking to focus on more, TV or Radio?

Im staying in iQ also :smile:
Reply 18
Accepted my offer last night. Likely going to stay at IQ :-)
Im in a dilema as ive got a conditional offer from Salford, but ive got the same offer from my second choice which is Lincoln, has anyone else looked at both of these unis, which ones the better choice? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending