The Student Room Group

How to increase the size of arms?

I've been going to the gym for about 6 months now and although my arms have grown quite a bit, I would like them to grow more. What's the best way to do this?

Scroll to see replies

Heavy dips
Heavy close grip bench press
Heavy skull crushers(behind the head to get the stretch, not to the forehead)
Heavy curl variants

Lots of calories
Lots of protein
Lots of sleep

Rinse and repeat.
As above.

Plus: volume, volume, volume
Reply 3
Curls in the squat rack
Reply 4
Original post by mrmicrosoft
Curls in the squat rack

LOL!
Reply 5
Perform Yoga on bench press for big gains, must wear tank top to gym to maximise blood circulation for maximum gains, must listen to Zyzz mix whilst curling to get best results, protein before/during and after gym session for biggest gains. Must post selfie on Instagram after every gym session to build inner mind muscles and get the girls mirin. If you do all this then you'll have 32inch arms within a week.
Original post by KingGym
Perform Yoga on bench press for big gains, must wear tank top to gym to maximise blood circulation for maximum gains, must listen to Zyzz mix whilst curling to get best results, protein before/during and after gym session for biggest gains. Must post selfie on Instagram after every gym session to build inner mind muscles and get the girls mirin. If you do all this then you'll have 32inch arms within a week.

That's actually true though.
Original post by Blyts-_
I've been going to the gym for about 6 months now and although my arms have grown quite a bit, I would like them to grow more. What's the best way to do this?

Go to the gym for another 6 months?
Height? Weight? Time training? Goals?

Haven't read the OP yet, just seems to be the done thing to ask these questions on lifting forums.
Go for super sets
Dips and chins, as part of a full body routine.

The body doesn't like to grow out of proportion, it likes to grow as a unit. Want big arms, then make sure you train your damn legs! That means squats and deadlifts.

Incidentally, being muscular in general looks better than being a skinny person with biggish arms anyway.
Have to be honest I don't agree with the above. Having powerlited for a few years focusing the majority of my time on squats and deadlifts, my arms are now my weakest bodypart.

Hit the arms directly with lots of volume and heavy weights if you want big arms. Squats will get you big legs.
Reply 12
Original post by 19Dan89
Go to the gym for another 6 months?

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To increase arm size, increase the amount of Fap time.
Original post by commandant
Have to be honest I don't agree with the above. Having powerlited for a few years focusing the majority of my time on squats and deadlifts, my arms are now my weakest bodypart.

Hit the arms directly with lots of volume and heavy weights if you want big arms. Squats will get you big legs.

I'm not suggesting he doesn't train arms. Far from it.

But, and I don't know about you, the guys in my gym with big arms aren't the bench'n'curl jockeys, but the guys who train their whole body. Yea, squats give you big legs, but it's rare to see a bloke with big arms who only has skinny little legs. The body likes to grow in proportion.

I mean, are you advising this guy to not do a full body routine? Should he only train arms, in your opinion? Should he just become another of those perpetually skinny guys who does endless sets of curls and pushdowns but never really grows?
No, I'm saying he should lift big on the compounds AND hit his arms directly too.
Original post by commandant
No, I'm saying he should lift big on the compounds AND hit his arms directly too.

Then what was it in my original post, where I advised training arms as part of a full body routine, which you so disagreed with?
You didn't state to train arms directly. You said 'dips and chins'.

Friends forever?
Reply 18
2/3 of your arms are made of triceps, plus you use these a lot less than your biceps so they are more receptive to training.
Do dips then when you can manage 15 or so, start doing it with a dumbbell between your ankles.

Overhead tricep extensions with the rope and pulley. Rope pull downs, skull crushers. Closed grip bench press.

All those are some of the best things that should give you a horseshoe in time :biggrin:
Original post by Rinsed
I'm not suggesting he doesn't train arms. Far from it.

But, and I don't know about you, the guys in my gym with big arms aren't the bench'n'curl jockeys, but the guys who train their whole body. Yea, squats give you big legs, but it's rare to see a bloke with big arms who only has skinny little legs. The body likes to grow in proportion.

I mean, are you advising this guy to not do a full body routine? Should he only train arms, in your opinion? Should he just become another of those perpetually skinny guys who does endless sets of curls and pushdowns but never really grows?

That's probably more correlation than causation though tbf.

Quick Reply

Latest