The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's very possible that you're a late bloomer, but from the limited info. you've posted, you don't really seem up to the same sort of standard as the Camdridge maths applicants from my school. Only the real geniuses (probably top 50 in the country) were told to apply to Cambridge. Basically, we were told that it's considerably harder than Oxford to get into, but the undergaduate degree isn't that much better. Not just because of STEP, but the pooling system isn't as good and there's no test at interview, so it's a bit of a lottery really. Especially if you prefer pure maths, maybe you should at least consider Oxford. If you really want to go for Cambridge though, you might as well go for it. The only way you're going to find out if you're good enough is by applying.

Another thing you might like to consider is that it's possible that GCSEs may be less of an issue at Cambridge, because they interview every candidate.

TheWolf
do universities care about maths challenges? i doubt ill put my gold awards in my ucas form :confused:

I doubt it, unless you're doing maths. Even then, they'll probably not be interested as a gold award is nothing spectacular.
Reply 41
Thanks for all your helpful advice. I think i'll start reading a lot of books and, asking my wonderful pure maths teacher to give me a hand on some practice.
(He's a real genius, just hope he doesnt retire next year).

PS I like the new look of the forum.
Reply 42
Hi, just a few things that I want to point out.

Firstly, I think the more respected universities, the very best, are going to be seriously doubtful about an applicant for Maths with an A at GCSE. Is there some reason that you failed to achieve an A* grade at GCSE? I don't mean to sound arrogant, but GCSE is really not that hard, and just to get an A at A-Level, I would say that you ought to possess such proficiency at GCSE level that you should get an A*. Also, what universities are looking for, and this is key, is the fundamental understanding of the theory. This is what STEP questions search for in candidates, and this is the skill you need to succeed at a good university in mathematics. Such an understanding is partly natural, but can be developed, but it can take a long time to develop it, and you have to be extremely dedicated, and reasonably able to begin with. This sort of understand would mean an A* would be no big burden at GCSE, I just think if you apply to Cambridge, they may assume you don't have this understanding and of course, you will have to be out to demonstrate that you can proof their assumptions wrong, with is no easy task, since most interviewers have a vague idea of their decision before you enter the door. With that said, if you are determined, then you stand just as good a chance as everyone, but you must work hard to show them that your mathematics is of a suitable level. The best idea is to do STEP questions and similar styled logic problems, to really get you thinking.

Secondly, in remark to someone who said that maths challenges don't really matter, I beg to differ. Although they are hardly a prerequisite for entry, many people applying to Cambridge, and Oxford as well, will have taken the BMO1 in their Lower 6th year, and this is impressive, regardless what mark you get. It demonstrates ability to think at Olympiad level, enthusiasm, dedication, and hopefully the questions inspire a bit of enjoyment in maths, I know I certainly enjoy olympiad questions far more than any other sort. Of course, qualification for BMO2 is great, but hard to come by, and such an achievement is a huge plus, it demonstrates exactly the sort of ability admissions tutors are looking for. But don't be put off if you don't do it, from my knowledge, perhaps 20-30 pupils who take BMO2 each year are year 12. However, i mentioned it in my interview, said how I enjoyed it, and the interviewers certainly seemed impressed by my participation in both years of 6th form. Taking part is thoroughly recommended, and is something that makes you stand out from the huge crowd of applicants, and helps you to get in.

Chris
Reply 43
theone
Hi, just a few things that I want to point out.

Firstly, I think the more respected universities, the very best, are going to be seriously doubtful about an applicant for Maths with an A at GCSE. Is there some reason that you failed to achieve an A* grade at GCSE? I don't mean to sound arrogant, but GCSE is really not that hard, and just to get an A at A-Level, I would say that you ought to possess such proficiency at GCSE level that you should get an A*. Also, what universities are looking for, and this is key, is the fundamental understanding of the theory. This is what STEP questions search for in candidates, and this is the skill you need to succeed at a good university in mathematics. Such an understanding is partly natural, but can be developed, but it can take a long time to develop it, and you have to be extremely dedicated, and reasonably able to begin with. This sort of understand would mean an A* would be no big burden at GCSE, I just think if you apply to Cambridge, they may assume you don't have this understanding and of course, you will have to be out to demonstrate that you can proof their assumptions wrong, with is no easy task, since most interviewers have a vague idea of their decision before you enter the door. With that said, if you are determined, then you stand just as good a chance as everyone, but you must work hard to show them that your mathematics is of a suitable level. The best idea is to do STEP questions and similar styled logic problems, to really get you thinking.

Secondly, in remark to someone who said that maths challenges don't really matter, I beg to differ. Although they are hardly a prerequisite for entry, many people applying to Cambridge, and Oxford as well, will have taken the BMO1 in their Lower 6th year, and this is impressive, regardless what mark you get. It demonstrates ability to think at Olympiad level, enthusiasm, dedication, and hopefully the questions inspire a bit of enjoyment in maths, I know I certainly enjoy olympiad questions far more than any other sort. Of course, qualification for BMO2 is great, but hard to come by, and such an achievement is a huge plus, it demonstrates exactly the sort of ability admissions tutors are looking for. But don't be put off if you don't do it, from my knowledge, perhaps 20-30 pupils who take BMO2 each year are year 12. However, i mentioned it in my interview, said how I enjoyed it, and the interviewers certainly seemed impressed by my participation in both years of 6th form. Taking part is thoroughly recommended, and is something that makes you stand out from the huge crowd of applicants, and helps you to get in.

Chris

Well thanks for ur advice.
I think i am determined to work hard.
And I dont know how to describe it but I feel more in touch with the stuff now than i was at GCSE. For GCSE we did the modular course, which I mucked up on. Like in the first module there were questions on thing that we hadnt covered before (maybe my maths teacher "forgot" to read the specification). And I wasnt allowed to retake because i didnt do "bad" enough.
And not trying to be arrogant or bigheaded or anything, but i feel that i am slighty quicker at picking things up than the other ppl in my further maths class.
But in U6 there was a girl who got wiked GCSEs but she got a silver in the maths challenge and she got an offer from cambridge.
One of the people heralded as a Maths genius in the twin boys' school got to BMO2 in Year 11 (which is frankly, amazing). Everyone knows him as the person who loves Maths and his dad teaches Maths too.

He's currently in Year 12 and going to apply to Maths at Cambridge. Not sure what he got for GCSEs though, but probably all A*/As, maybe one or two Bs.

Just a bit further on the BMO comment...
Reply 45
jyuk
Hi there everyone, I'm new here.

I am really interested in doing maths at cambridge.

I got 3A*s, 5As, 2Bs, 1C and a D for GCSE. Unfortunately my Maths GCSE was an A.
I do maths, further maths, physics and economics for AS, hoping to carry on with at least the first 3 to A2. My target grades are all As.

Do you think i stand a chance of getting into cambridge?!

I know i didnt get the A* in maths at GCSE, but now i feel really on form with maths, no worries about it.

Any comment would be nice

Thnx

Jaja

Yes of course you have a chance.
The people who gave you negative vibes are being morons.
I study maths at Cambridge; there are plenty of people with similar backgrounds to you.
You seem motivated enough - and the worst they can say is no.
Reply 46
ot209
Yes of course you have a chance.
The people who gave you negative vibes are being morons.
I study maths at Cambridge; there are plenty of people with similar backgrounds to you.
You seem motivated enough - and the worst they can say is no.

Thanks you very much for your great motivation. Now I feel even more determined.

Wot was your interview like, and any advice on it. Cheers
Reply 47
jyuk
Thanks you very much for your great motivation. Now I feel even more determined.

Wot was your interview like, and any advice on it. Cheers

Some moronic comments on here...

For the GCSE grade, they WILL notice and they most certainly WILL care. However, they could just put this down to the school you went to. They may ask about it at interview, so you'd have a chance to explain. Also, any good module results you have will help your case.

For the Gold maths awards, you should mention these somewhere if it was Gold at senior level - getting silver at senior level should not be put down.

Finally, you should apply. You've got nothing to lose and if you get offered an interview, that's an achievement in itself and it would be a good experience for you regardless of whether you got in or not. I'm sick of these people who try and instil a fear of rejection - this is why there is a disproportionate amount of private school pupils at Oxbridge as you'd rarely get such discouragement at a private school.
Reply 48
marabara
Some moronic comments on here...

For the GCSE grade, they WILL notice and they most certainly WILL care. However, they could just put this down to the school you went to. They may ask about it at interview, so you'd have a chance to explain. Also, any good module results you have will help your case.

For the Gold maths awards, you should mention these somewhere if it was Gold at senior level - getting silver at senior level should not be put down.

Finally, you should apply. You've got nothing to lose and if you get offered an interview, that's an achievement in itself and it would be a good experience for you regardless of whether you got in or not. I'm sick of these people who try and instil a fear of rejection - this is why there is a disproportionate amount of private school pupils at Oxbridge as you'd rarely get such discouragement at a private school.

Cheers for that!!:smile:
corey
I wish people would get over this shity fable that you all have about GCSEs and how they matter.

Firstly, they don't. Oxbridge care about your grades at GCSE only your predicted A2, AS and academic potential. They consider those who fuck up GCSEs as 'late bloomers'.

This was from Dr Hopkins director of studies at Downing college, when i dicussed this with him for a few minutes during the Cambridge Law Conference.

What matters is academic potential not some grades on tests that test memory.

I'm guessing your own GCSE's weren't hugely impressive?
Reply 50
GCSE's do matter - you find very little people with rubbish gcses getting in. I still need to find someone from a private school who gets into oxbridge with less than 10as myself.
Reply 51
theone
Perhaps I made a little too much of the importance of GCSE's, but you are bound to find people on a course of over 200 people a few who have not performed greatly at GCSEs. The fact of the matter is really that few people who get in have great GCSEs. If you are a so called 'late developer' then you do stand a good chance of getting in. But bear in mind you are applying amongst the cleverest people in the country, and given the so called grade inflation, there will be more people with a high string of good GCSEs. It can be a total lottery in your interview as to whether you get accepted, especially when people who have done things like maths olympiads and have good gcses are bound to look better in the interviewer's eye. I think the thing about having a really good chance of getting into oxbridge, particularly cambridge, is to show huge enthusiasm for the subject, and to get involved in as many mathematical things as possible. As you can imagine, pupils like the year 11 pupil Deianra mentioned are far far more likely to get in, as they have been developing their mathematics at a high level from such an early age.

However, I still agree that if you really want to apply you ought to apply, and if you have the ability and the enthusiasm then you stand as good a chance of most of being accepted.

Thank you all, I appreciate the advice.
Reply 52
a freind of mine got accepted at cambridge to read maths. He got an A for GCSE maths.
It depends to ur AS results and how u performe in the interview. Also U show them that u have a life as well.
Reply 53
TheWolf
GCSE's do matter - you find very little people with rubbish gcses getting in. I still need to find someone from a private school who gets into oxbridge with less than 10as myself.

So, to get into Cambridge one needs to be a very little person with rubbish GCSEs.

Hmmm.....Interesting selection criteria.
Reply 54
TheWolf
I still need to find someone from a private school who gets into oxbridge with less than 10as myself.

Well your search is over! I went to a private school and got into Cambridge with 3A*, 5A, 1B (though admittedly I was applying post A level with 3 As).
Reply 55
The good (and bad) news about applying for maths at Cambridge (especially for Trinity) is that they give out more offers because they can set STEP conditional ones. I got an offer from Trinity and they give an offer to about half of the applicants (although only roughly half of those given the offer make the grade). They can afford to do this because a candidate who isn't up to scratch but who they can't decide about will be incredibly unlikely to pull off a good STEP grade, as you need to be able to think like a mathematician to do the problems.

When I went into the application process, I kept telling myself that I'd give it my best shot, but it wouldn't be that bad if I didn't get an offer (and if that was the case, I'd probably be better off somewhere else). My parents were great as they never pressured me saying I "had to get in". Coming from a state school, I didn't get much interview practice, though it didn't matter really, as my interview was based soley on the test I did before (which I mucked up a fair bit). However, if you demonstrate that you can take in what they say to you and learn from them, you'll do fine.

And one more thing, the two interviewers I had were incredibly friendly and the interview was more like a discussion about the work rather than anything more threatening, so try not to worry about it. And if you don't get an offer, at least it's a nice experience!

If you do get a STEP based offer though, be prepared to work very hard for it (I've got a 1,1 offer like theone). That's another confidence ball game, but it is not impossible and again, if you can pass the papers, at least you know you're good enough to succeed.

Get the basics under your belt though, as you'll need them in the interview, and put down difficulties you've had with teaching (I had no further maths teaching at all throughout the two years and I'm fairly sure this counted in my favour).

At the end of the day, it's just 1 out of 6 choices. Make sure you've lined up another university which you'd love to go to as well (even now, I know I wouldn't be completely disheartened if I didn't make the STEP grade, as I love my second choice Warwick). If you don't apply, you'll never know. Good luck.

Oh, and this bloke got an offer from Trinity from an independent school without a single A* to his name:
http://oa.waveflex.com/profiles/prof_disp.asp?id=265

Although they are rare, they do exist.
Reply 56
meepmeep

Oh, and this bloke got an offer from Trinity from an independent school without a single A* to his name:
http://oa.waveflex.com/profiles/prof_disp.asp?id=265

Although they are rare, they do exist.

That one is quite amazing, only one A and he still got in.
I went to the maths open day on saturday, and fitzwilliam college. They all look good.

Latest

Trending

Trending