The Student Room Group

How long does it typically take for a company to pay maximum salary limit?

I started on £18,000 which will eventually rise to £21,000. I get a raise in October each year, does anyone know from experience roughly how many years companies take to get to the upper limit?
Original post by snapper1
I started on £18,000 which will eventually rise to £21,000. I get a raise in October each year, does anyone know from experience roughly how many years companies take to get to the upper limit?

You'll have to ask them, it will be entirely specific to the company. There are two ways your pay usually 'automatically' increases, one if they pay an annual inflation based increase and the other if they have steps, stages, grades or whatever they call planned increases in pay.

Very generally, if you are staring on 18 and the maximum for your your role is 21k, I suspect there are only about 4 steps, so in about 4 years you will hit the top and will have to get promoted to get more. Of course, because of inflationary increase, 21k will then be a bit more than that.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
You'll have to ask them, it will be entirely specific to the company. There are two ways your pay usually 'automatically' increases, one if they pay an annual inflation based increase and the other if they have steps, stages, grades or whatever they call planned increases in pay.

Very generally, if you are staring on 18 and the maximum for your your role is 21k, I suspect there are only about 4 steps, so in about 4 years you will hit the top and will have to get promoted to get more. Of course, because of inflationary increase, 21k will then be a bit more than that.

Generally 4 years for a promotion?

I hope not.
Original post by M1011
Generally 4 years for a promotion?

I hope not.

So would I, depending on the role -which is why I didn't suggest it took 4 years to get a promotion. There is nothing stopping you jump from year 2 salary to the next job level - but that wasn't the OP's question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending