The Student Room Group

Religious people- was my joke really offensive?

I was speaking to me colleague who I get on well with who is of the muslim faith, and I said " lately I just keep feeling sick" he said "oh dear, you aren't pregnant are you" I said "ha. No. Unless if my name is mary!" (meaning, it's impossible without immaculate conception)

And he said "I don't like that joke. You should always respect mary". And was very cross with me

Was I very offensive?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They've got a different sense of humour, I thought it was witty!
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
They've got a different sense of humour, I thought it was witty!

Who's "they"?
It's a joke I've used before, I think it's quite funny :p:
I don't think it is but I'm not Muslim. I think Islam does believe in Jesus so that could have offended him.
Reply 5
muslim faith?

Joke about Mary?

I don't see the link
There was a little bit of wit in here, nothing offensive. Move along.
Reply 7
No, I wouldn't say it was offensive

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a Christian and that's not offensive at all! Him being offended doesn't make him right or wrong. It just makes him offended :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by StrangeBanana
Who's "they"?

Using 'they' to refer to a single person is perfectly allowed, I didn't read that OP's colleague was a guy.
Offense is subjective. But anyone who is offended by that really needs to get a life! :tongue:
Some people take things too seriously. Clearly you didn't mean any offence.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
I was speaking to me colleague who I get on well with who is of the muslim faith, and I said " lately I just keep feeling sick" he said "oh dear, you aren't pregnant are you" I said "ha. No. Unless if my name is mary!" (meaning, it's impossible without immaculate conception)

And he said "I don't like that joke. You should always respect mary". And was very cross with me

Was I very offensive?

I'm a Christian and I don't think it was particularly offensive. They're just being over-sensitive.
Reply 13
It's not offensive, just a (relatively witty) offhand remark. They're in the wrong.
I thought it was really witty! :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by niceguy95
muslim faith?

Joke about Mary?

I don't see the link

Jesus is a prophet in Islam.
I don't think it's offensive at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I am a muslim and I thought that was pretty funny!
Original post by IChowder
Jesus is a prophet in Islam.

i know that but mary doesn't
I always say let people be offended by what they want to be offended by and keep it moving ..it wasn't a big deal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending