The Student Room Group

The Ultimate TV Show and Miniseries Recommendations Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by danny111
Have you seen Ambassadors with Mitchell & Webb? I found that hilarious. Only 3 episodes though.

No but I've seen That Michell and Web Look - I'll take a look :yep: They're a great duo and Mitchell is the King of Wit.
Reply 21
Original post by Deshi
Not feeling it really. Gave up on like episode 6. Might try it again at some point.

It definitely gets more juicy from episode 9.

<3 x
Reply 22
Original post by LETSJaM
It definitely gets more juicy from episode 9.

<3 x

Quite a few shows I need to catch up on, will see how it goes!
Original post by Deshi
I've seen the first few episodes of The Newsroom, Mad Men and Community but could never properly get into them. Have been thinking about trying Mad Men again as it gets a lot of praise.

You should try to get into community again, I think it could turn out to be one of your favorite tv comedy's of all time(it did for me)!
Oooh, this is a good idea! Thank you for making the effort to get all this into one thread too.

To add to the sci-fi or teen bit (see note underneath):

Spoiler

Of the sci-fi that's up there, I'd put Teen Wolf and The Vampire Diaries in with that category to be honest, or put Smallville and Buffy in with Teen because otherwise it's not very consistent. Just to sell Fringe a little more: it's probably the best acted sci-fi of recent memory for me. Did anyone make it to the end of FlashForward who could give some episode recommendations? I remember The Gift being amazing but I stopped maybe five or six episodes after that as it wasn't living up to the promise of that episode.

And briefly, for fantasy:

Spoiler

As you can tell I like episode recommendations. For some shows, particularly long-running ones, it's nice to have somewhere to start or some which you know you can look forward to, say if the show has a slow start or takes a while to hit more often than miss (Dollhouse and Buffy both do, as does Fringe).

I haven't tackled Buffy episode recs because I'm not a diehard Whedonite so this is suggestion no 2: seconded recommendations. Maybe a TV show won't appear on the page until it's been seconded by another poster? That way current shows don't get in having aired 3/4 episodes which are good, after which they nosedive in quality. I don't know how this would work with the current list though.

Sorry if this is a bit overly serious and/or contains multiple non-sequiters, since I can't sleep at all and this seemed like a good idea at 1am. :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by SixteenHundred
Oooh, this is a good idea! Thank you for making the effort to get all this into one thread too.

To add to the sci-fi or teen bit (see note underneath):

Spoiler

Of the sci-fi that's up there, I'd put Teen Wolf and The Vampire Diaries in with that category to be honest, or put Smallville and Buffy in with Teen because otherwise it's not very consistent. Just to sell Fringe a little more: it's probably the best acted sci-fi of recent memory for me. Did anyone make it to the end of FlashForward who could give some episode recommendations? I remember The Gift being amazing but I stopped maybe five or six episodes after that as it wasn't living up to the promise of that episode.

And briefly, for fantasy:

Spoiler

As you can tell I like episode recommendations. For some shows, particularly long-running ones, it's nice to have somewhere to start or some which you know you can look forward to, say if the show has a slow start or takes a while to hit more often than miss (Dollhouse and Buffy both do, as does Fringe).

I haven't tackled Buffy episode recs because I'm not a diehard Whedonite so this is suggestion no 2: seconded recommendations. Maybe a TV show won't appear on the page until it's been seconded by another poster? That way current shows don't get in having aired 3/4 episodes which are good, after which they nosedive in quality. I don't know how this would work with the current list though.

Sorry if this is a bit overly serious and/or contains multiple non-sequiters, since I can't sleep at all and this seemed like a good idea at 1am. :rolleyes:

Been away for the weekend, just seen this, will update it after the football.

RE: Headings for some shows

Smallville is a difficult one because it's first few seasons definitely for me edged towards the teen genre more then any other, but after 4 or 5 (can't remember) when he leaves to metropolis it becomes more of a sci-fi/action show for me. Looking back I think sci-fi might be the best genre for Smallville, as it's fairly prominent in every season, so I'll put it into there if you agree.

Vampire Diaries/Teen Wolf are weird one's as well, a majority of their fanbase will be teens and that's definitely who the show is aimed at, which is why they both have to be in the teen section for me, but I'm open for more debate. :wink:

I have no idea about Buffy. Whatever you think will be the best fit I'll take your word for it.

Flashforward was solid, I couldn't recommend any individual episodes though, watched it when it first came out. It did get a bit convoluted and personally I think it came out too soon after Lost, they tried to ride on that wave and failed which is why it got cancelled.
I'm in the mood for something funny and light-hearted, any recommendations?
Original post by Deshi
Been away for the weekend, just seen this, will update it after the football.

RE: Headings for some shows

Smallville is a difficult one because it's first few seasons definitely for me edged towards the teen genre more then any other, but after 4 or 5 (can't remember) when he leaves to metropolis it becomes more of a sci-fi/action show for me. Looking back I think sci-fi might be the best genre for Smallville, as it's fairly prominent in every season, so I'll put it into there if you agree.

Vampire Diaries/Teen Wolf are weird one's as well, a majority of their fanbase will be teens and that's definitely who the show is aimed at, which is why they both have to be in the teen section for me, but I'm open for more debate. :wink:

I have no idea about Buffy. Whatever you think will be the best fit I'll take your word for it.

Flashforward was solid, I couldn't recommend any individual episodes though, watched it when it first came out. It did get a bit convoluted and personally I think it came out too soon after Lost, they tried to ride on that wave and failed which is why it got cancelled.

Yeah, I'd say sci-fi for Smallville, as it would give a misleading impression to put it in teen given how sci-fi it gets and I agree that the sci-fi element is always there.

Thinking over it again I think TVD and TW are good in the teen section for now. TVD might be more sci-fi now IMO, but definitely is teen in S1/S2 so your call.

Buffy's very difficult to pin down but I'd put it in fantasy, thinking about it now. It has a lot of magic and it isn't teen at all after the first couple of seasons.

Thanks for updating and all that, looks like this is shaping up to be a good thread :biggrin:
Reply 28
Original post by Iamyourfather
I'm in the mood for something funny and light-hearted, any recommendations?

New shows: Brooklyn Nine Nine and Trophy Wife.

What kind of comedies are you generally in to?
New shows: Brooklyn Nine Nine and Trophy Wife.

What kind of comedies are you generally in to?

Thanks

The ones that make me laugh? :tongue:

I'll give any well-received show under the 'comedy' genre a try :yep:
Reply 30
Thanks

The ones that make me laugh? :tongue:

I'll give any well-received show under the 'comedy' genre a try :yep:

Veep is also hilarious btw.

Ok so what shows make you laugh. Like name me three comedy shows that come to your head first.
Reply 31
Only watched 2 episodes of True Detective thus far. Really impressed, can't wait for next episode!
Veep is also hilarious btw.

Ok so what shows make you laugh. Like name me three comedy shows that come to your head first.

The first three that popped into my head:

Orange is the New Black
Archer
The Life and Times of Tim
Reply 33
The first three that popped into my head:

Orange is the New Black
Archer
The Life and Times of Tim

Yea that is great!

And I don't know the others so sadly can't recommend any similar shows.
Reply 34
Peachz
x

Bit of a problem. Didn't realise there was a limit to the number of characters in a post :colonhash: :facepalm:

I've got the third post so is there a chance you could delete the first reply in this thread so I can have the first two posts to edit?
Yea that is great!

And I don't know the others so sadly can't recommend any similar shows.

Crazy Eyes and Black Cindy are probably my favourite characters :lol:

:rofl:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Deshi
Bit of a problem. Didn't realise there was a limit to the number of characters in a post :colonhash: :facepalm:

I've got the third post so is there a chance you could delete the first reply in this thread so I can have the first two posts to edit?

Unfortunately not. Ask the person who posted it if they will delete it.
Reply 37
Parks and Recreation

A comedy series based around the Parks and Recreational department of a US town. It's a mockumentary - kinda like The Office in its format.

I only started watching it a few weeks ago as a recommendation from a friend. Season 1 is funny but fairly average but it really picks up season 2 onwards.
Reply 38
Original post by JayReg
Great work there.

Quite busy atm but will do the info later:

The Newsroom
Mad Men
House
Californication
Modern family
Community
Misfits

Alright mate, bit of an annoyance but do you think you could delete your first first post in this thread? :colondollar:

I need the second post in the thread :colondollar:
Ooh, no one's said my favourite!

Harper's Island (2009 - 1 season, 13 episodes)
Basically, a group of friends all travel to this island for their friends wedding, and 10 years earlier on this island, there was 3 murderers by a now deceased serial killer. BUTBUTBUT, they go there, and one by one get killed off. You have to guess whodunnit the whole way through, it is brilliant.

Quick Reply

Latest