The Student Room Group

The Ultimate TV Show and Miniseries Recommendations Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'm pretty sure the ABC one is a remake ^^^

Original post by Stylo92
Think I'm only hate watching The Walking Dead nowadays. Awful dialogue/direction/plot just ruins it.

Can't believe so many people watch the show still. I don't see how they've managed to turn a show with so much potential into something so drab. They really don't know how to do character development without making it incredibly sucky. I've given up on the show completely now after 2 seasons of me stopping and starting the show again, think I watched up to episode 5 this season. It barely ha any redeeming qualities anymore, the fact that it's about zombies isn't enough anymore.

Will add True Detective to the list this evening, if they tie it all up in the last episode it's easily one of the best seasons of television I have ever watched. The directing/writing/acting/cinematography, just everything, is of ridiculous quality. This show is a prime example of how character development should be done.
Reply 61
Nice to see some appreciation for Fringe as it never seemed to really hit off here in the UK. The acting is incredible and I've finially got around to buying all the box sets.

Surprised to see nobody's mentioned Supernatural which is one of my favourite sci-fi/fantasy/horror shows of all time. Seasons 4 and 5 are the best as that's were the main story arc unfolds. I think it'd fit best in the horror category but I always think of it as sci-fi.

Another recommendation for the list would be Once Upon A Time. I don't really dig fairytales but it's quite witty and nice character progression. Oh and Torchwood is still amazing. Russel T Davies is such a good writer.

Dawson's Creek and Beverly Hills 90210 are definitely the best 90's teen dramas. They're both very different from each other in terms of the teenagers lifestyles despite being set in the same period. I can't decide which one I like more, I love the cast of Dawson's Creek though. Three great actors/actresses in one show.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by corax
Nice to see some appreciation for Fringe as it never seemed to really hit off here in the UK. The acting is incredible and I've finially got around to buying all the box sets.

Surprised to see nobody's mentioned Supernatural which is one of my favourite sci-fi/fantasy/horror shows of all time. Seasons 4 and 5 are the best as that's were the main story arc unfolds. I think it'd fit best in the horror category but I always think of it as sci-fi.

Another recommendation for the list would be Once Upon A Time. I don't really dig fairytales but it's quite witty and nice character progression. Oh and Torchwood is still amazing. Russel T Davies is such a good writer.

Dawson's Creek and Beverly Hills 90210 are definitely the best 90's teen dramas. They're both very different from each other in terms of the teenagers lifestyles despite being set in the same period. I can't decide which one I like more, I love the cast of Dawson's Creek though. Three great actors/actresses in one show.

I don;t know how I missed out Supernatural when I originally created the list considering I've seen around 6 seasons of it. Will add it in a bit. WIll also add your other suggestions but it'd be easier if you could write a bit about them (if you wanted to) in the format in the OP and then I can just copy and paste it straight into the OP
Reply 63
Watched episode 1 of House of Cards yesterday and it's off to a promising start.
Reply 64
Original post by Stylo92
Watched episode 1 of House of Cards yesterday and it's off to a promising start.

On episode 8 of Season 1 I think. It's really promising.

Repped for the sig btw, this is a pretty cool video (I'm assuming you;ve seen the whole show if not don;t watch it)

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Deshi
On episode 8 of Season 1 I think. It's really promising.

Repped for the sig btw, this is a pretty cool video (I'm assuming you;ve seen the whole show if not don;t watch it)

Pretty cool indeed.

God I loved that show.
Reply 66
Original post by Deshi
I don;t know how I missed out Supernatural when I originally created the list considering I've seen around 6 seasons of it. Will add it in a bit. WIll also add your other suggestions but it'd be easier if you could write a bit about them (if you wanted to) in the format in the OP and then I can just copy and paste it straight into the OP

Sure thing.

Once Upon A Time (2011- 3 seasons so far)
The protagonist, Emma, is reunited with her 10 year old son Henry who she gave up for adoption. To her disbelief the town where he lives is not what it seems, and things get complicated when she finds out the truth about her own destiny. A compelling modern day take on fairytales.

Torchwood (2006 - 2011 4 seasons)
A Doctor Who spin-off intended for a older audience. It features the beloved Captain Jack Harkness who investigates the mysterious incidents in Cardiff alongside his team. Humorous with just the right amount of horror and heart-wrenching moments.

Dawson's Creek (1998 - 2003, 6 seasons)
A show that follows the movie enthusiast Dawson and his close knit-group of friends as they progress into adulthood in their small town. Features lots of drama, romance, jealously and philosophical questions from Dawson as he tries to follow his dreams and make it big.

Beverly Hills 90210 (1990 - 2000, 10 seasons)
Follows the lives of privileged teenagers in Beverly Hills, as they grow up into adulthood. Expect social and political conflicts that arise in 90's America alongside the usual teenage problems. An attempt to show how these teenagers are just as 'ordinary' as everyone else.

Reply 67
Original post by corax
Sure thing.

Once Upon A Time (2011- 3 seasons so far)
The protagonist, Emma, is reunited with her 10 year old son Henry who she gave up for adoption. To her disbelief the town where he lives is not what it seems, and things get complicated when she finds out the truth about her own destiny. A compelling modern day take on fairytales.

Torchwood (2006 - 2011 4 seasons)
A Doctor Who spin-off intended for a older audience. It features the beloved Captain Jack Harkness who investigates the mysterious incidents in Cardiff alongside his team. Humorous with just the right amount of horror and heart-wrenching moments.

Dawson's Creek (1998 - 2003, 6 seasons)
A show that follows the movie enthusiast Dawson and his close knit-group of friends as they progress into adulthood in their small town. Features lots of drama, romance, jealously and philosophical questions from Dawson as he tries to follow his dreams and make it big.

Beverly Hills 90210 (1990 - 2000, 10 seasons)
Follows the lives of privileged teenagers in Beverly Hills, as they grow up into adulthood. Expect social and political conflicts that arise in 90's America alongside the usual teenage problems. An attempt to show how these teenagers are just as 'ordinary' as everyone else.

Cheers, just added them. Sorry for the delay, the quote got lost inbetween a bunch of others!
Reply 68
11 episodes into House of Cards now.

Superb acting but I'm still not sure if I like it or not. Just wishing for almost every character to get their comeuppance.
Just finished watching True Detective. Phenomenal show, hands down my favourite of the year so far.
it's amazing...

until the last episode, then it turns to cliche riddled balls.

:frown:
Reply 71
Is Agents of Shield any good? I was thinking of watching it but would like peoples reviews on it :smile:
Also, I can't seem to find anywhere to watch it - it doesn't seem to be on 4oD :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by martin jol
it's amazing...

Until the last episode, then it turns to cliche riddled balls.

:frown:

lies, pure lies.
Reply 73
No idea why I'm still watching the Following.
Reply 74
Very disappointed with season 2 of House of Cards.
Reply 75
I'm liking American Horror Story so far - 4th ep
Reply 76
Original post by Ronhaar
Is Agents of Shield any good? I was thinking of watching it but would like peoples reviews on it :smile:
Also, I can't seem to find anywhere to watch it - it doesn't seem to be on 4oD :/

I didn't like it in the slightest. If you're a big fan of comic books and that whole universe then I reckon you might, but as a stand alone TV show (so the writing/characters etc) I think it's poor.
Reply 77
Original post by Deshi
I didn't like it in the slightest. If you're a big fan of comic books and that whole universe then I reckon you might, but as a stand alone TV show (so the writing/characters etc) I think it's poor.

Thanks, I won't bother then haha
Reply 78
Not liking American Horror Story season 2 as much as the first :/
Finished season 2 of SUITS and I love it. Cannot wait until season 3 is on Netflix and I'm also loving season 2 of Breaking Bad!
Reply 79
Something good under sci-fi is Misfits (only properly watched first 3 seasons, can't really comment on seasons 4 or 5)

Quick Reply

Latest