The Student Room Group

How does an access course prepare you for Uni?

Is the grading criteria similar? Quality of work expected? What similarities are there?
An access course is a level 3 qualification, so it is the equivalent to A levels.

As there is no standardisation in access courses, I can only speak of the one I did. This syllabus was around 2/3 of the equivalent A level. For example, the maths was similar the material contained within the A level C1 to C4 modules but missed out stats/mechanics.

Where the access course differed from A level and was similar to university work was the emphasis on coursework and study skills. We did three pieces of researched coursework, which accounted for 50% of the mark.
Original post by Quantex
An access course is a level 3 qualification, so it is the equivalent to A levels.

As there is no standardisation in access courses,
I can only speak of the one I did. This syllabus was around 2/3 of the equivalent A level. For example, the maths was similar the material contained within the A level C1 to C4 modules but missed out stats/mechanics.

Where the access course differed from A level and was similar to university work was the emphasis on coursework and study skills. We did three pieces of researched coursework, which accounted for 50% of the mark.

This will be very, very different for anyone starting an Access course in September '14, and it's to the detriment of students, in my opinion.

To get your access diploma in any subject, you need 60 credits - 45 of which must be level 3. Most colleges split the diploma as 15 level 2 (GCSE standard) credits in things like it/maths/literacy and the 45 level 3 in course specific content.

Currently, an access course can deliver 'extra' units which is a boon for people who haven't been in education for a long time. It basically means you can possibly make a hash of your first assignment and it doesn't matter as much because your rubbish grades might get knocked off the diploma. Ie, my college offers 57 level 3 credits which means that I potentially have 12 entire credits of wiggle room in case I monumentally screw something.

Next year, colleges will be allowed to deliver 45 level 3 credits and not a single credit more. This means you could get all the way to april, fail a module and boom - no diploma. This could mean if you want to go to a university that requires, say, 30 distinction and 15 merit (a comon request) then a single pass and boom - you're not going to those universities.

The benefit of this is that because they will be much more uniform, Universities will understand the qualification more. My experience when applying for Unis this year is that whilst some are really clued up on access, some unis have no idea. One uni were asking for '25 distinctions' which is impossible - units come in 3 credit batches.

If you're looking to start you studies in September 2014 I would suggest seriously looking at Foundation degrees because the new structure of access means you really can't slip up. The pressure will be pretty sustained especially if you have other commitments.

In terms of the access course itself, I'd say mine is preparing me wonderfully for Uni, but I say that having not been to Uni yet haha. I am on an essay driven course and at every opportunity they are trying to hammer into us that they are preparing us for uni. There's little things like the terminology they use when handing out assignments and how to actually format a reference. Then there's big things on how you actually conduct effective research, how to gauge the quality of a source, how to write without bias etc etc.

Because most access courses are very specific to the subject area, they do stress very heavily (at least in my college) that it is not taught like a levels, it is taught very specifically with the end goal of University - it's not a qualification in it's own right.

Sorry this is a massive response and a lot of it isn't really related to the question you actually asked, but I thought it was still pretty relevant info.

If you have any other questions do pm me, without being that cocky there's not much I don't know about access courses at this point!
Original post by StretfordEnd
This will be very, very different for anyone starting an Access course in September '14, and it's to the detriment of students, in my opinion.

To get your access diploma in any subject, you need 60 credits - 45 of which must be level 3. Most colleges split the diploma as 15 level 2 (GCSE standard) credits in things like it/maths/literacy and the 45 level 3 in course specific content.

Currently, an access course can deliver 'extra' units which is a boon for people who haven't been in education for a long time. It basically means you can possibly make a hash of your first assignment and it doesn't matter as much because your rubbish grades might get knocked off the diploma. Ie, my college offers 57 level 3 credits which means that I potentially have 12 entire credits of wiggle room in case I monumentally screw something.

Next year, colleges will be allowed to deliver 45 level 3 credits and not a single credit more. This means you could get all the way to april, fail a module and boom - no diploma. This could mean if you want to go to a university that requires, say, 30 distinction and 15 merit (a comon request) then a single pass and boom - you're not going to those universities.

The benefit of this is that because they will be much more uniform, Universities will understand the qualification more. My experience when applying for Unis this year is that whilst some are really clued up on access, some unis have no idea. One uni were asking for '25 distinctions' which is impossible - units come in 3 credit batches.

If you're looking to start you studies in September 2014 I would suggest seriously looking at Foundation degrees because the new structure of access means you really can't slip up. The pressure will be pretty sustained especially if you have other commitments.

In terms of the access course itself, I'd say mine is preparing me wonderfully for Uni, but I say that having not been to Uni yet haha. I am on an essay driven course and at every opportunity they are trying to hammer into us that they are preparing us for uni. There's little things like the terminology they use when handing out assignments and how to actually format a reference. Then there's big things on how you actually conduct effective research, how to gauge the quality of a source, how to write without bias etc etc.

Because most access courses are very specific to the subject area, they do stress very heavily (at least in my college) that it is not taught like a levels, it is taught very specifically with the end goal of University - it's not a qualification in it's own right.

Sorry this is a massive response and a lot of it isn't really related to the question you actually asked, but I thought it was still pretty relevant info.

If you have any other questions do pm me, without being that cocky there's not much I don't know about access courses at this point!

God that 45 max credits sounds horrible!!
Original post by Bright_blonde
God that 45 max credits sounds horrible!!

As far as I understand it, Universities have pushed very hard for it because:

It gives them a clearer picture of how good a student is. You can't potentially completely fail 3 units and replace them with 3 distinctions anymore

Cynically, making access courses significantly tougher means more people choosing a foundation year degree, which means more money for the Unis.

I suppose I can see the logic, but I think it's a really daunting prospect when I look at some people on my access course who are extremely intelligent but also haven't been in education for 25 years. It's a big culture change and it takes some people a while to get out of the blocks - even if they are intelligent people who are suited to HE.
Original post by StretfordEnd

I'm doing an access course at the moment and giving my friend advice on starting one Sept '14. Currently, I'm doing an extra subject on top so I get an extra 15 level 3 credits at the end of the year (just to help my chances of uni). Does this mean from Sept '14, you won't be able to opt to do a third subject as it's very popular at my college?

Plus, I don't know if it's just my college or not but we've been told our syllabus has been deemed too difficult and all the modules are being made easier for next year (unfortunately not ours!), is that for everywhere so it's easier to achieve all 45 credits or?

Sorry, just curious :smile:.
Reply 6
My access course was slightly different to the one described above. Everybody on the course did 72 credits, 60 to go on the diploma and 12 additional credits. You could not to an assignment if you were struggling and just lose the 3/6 additional credits. Also all of our units were level 3 not like some where you do 45 level 3 and 15 level 2.

I didn't realise the access course is changing but I do feel my access course has given me a good start for university

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by mariocasas
Is the grading criteria similar? Quality of work expected? What similarities are there?

For me it turned out that the grades I got for the Access course was similar to the overall grade I got for my degree. So (with your improvement year by year) you should get a reasonable indication. I found the Access course tougher than the degree because it is so intense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending