The Student Room Group

Which is harder to get into - Medicine or Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:rofl:

Ain't nobody got time for that :colone:

Well I want to do what we talked about yesterday, it sounds like a plan!

FYI: Graduate entry medicine is more competitive and needs just as much if not more volunteering/relevant experience so you'll still have to do it at uni or afterwards probably.
Reply 21
Original post by TSR Mustafa
I know , but what's your point? (Not in a rude way)

The point is it's laughable to say "You don't need top grades to study, say, History at Oxford". No, you just need to be one of the top students on the HAT, an admissions test in a completely different league to the complexity and insight required with AS/A2 exams - and outperform 20-25 people (out of about 30-35) at interview.
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
FYI: Graduate entry medicine is more competitive and needs just as much if not more volunteering/relevant experience so you'll still have to do it at uni or afterwards probably.

I know :tongue:

But I plan on being a charitable person and helping bigger causes in le future :biggrin:
Original post by yl95
Damn you. I have to say that Medicine at Oxbridge seems like a bit of a lottery though.

I won the lottery Yay!
Reply 24
Original post by Noble.
The point is it's laughable to say "You don't need top grades to study, say, History at Oxford". No, you just need to be one of the top students on the HAT, an admissions test in a completely different league to the complexity and insight required with AS/A2 exams - and outperform 20-25 people (out of about 30-35) at interview.

Hi!

I'm looking to apply for history and am worried about this HAT test. Is it possible to take a portfolio of your own hat collection at home instead of doing a written test? So you can answer more effectively: I have quite a big collection of about 50 different hats of 30 different types. If you need to know anything else then let me know.

Thanks.
Original post by letsbehonest
Well, medicine is hard to get into but you don't need perfect grades. Oxbridge want perfect grades regardless of the subject.

Interviews wise - you will have to know a lot more about your subject at Oxbridge than at a Medicine interview.

You get 4 medicine options but only 1 shot at Oxbridge.

I would say Oxbridge, and that's coming from a Medicine applicant

Oxbridge do not require perfect grades, I have a friend at Oxford reading Philosophy and Theology who had AAAB at AS. So obviously good grades but not perfect.

Regarding interviews I am not so sure about your point. Medical interviews require a very good knowledge, on average, of the NHS etc. So although they will not expect you to explain complement fixation or the brachial plexus they are going to expect a degree of competency. As for Oxbridge I was interviewed for Medicine, but they were only really interested in how I thought.
Oxbridge is harder to get into because you have one shot. However, if you had an even number of shots then they'd be very close.

and neither require perfect grades! Out of the 3 people who have oxbridge offers at my school not a single one got all A's at AS!! They got AAAB, AABB and AB (with pre-u's!)
Likewise, last year out of the 3 medics that got accepted, 2 had only 1 A at AS!

There's so much more to it than just grades
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by yl95
Damn you. I have to say that Medicine at Oxbridge seems like a bit of a lottery though.

To be fair virtually everyone is so well qualified, and so similarly qualified, that the differences between applicants becomes so small that it does look like a lottery system. Though I would say in their defence they do not make the decisions lightly.

Edinburgh and Southampton I would say were worse 'lottery-wise' as they did not/ do not interview which always struck me as odd.
Original post by Muppet Science
To be fair virtually everyone is so well qualified, and so similarly qualified, that the differences between applicants becomes so small that it does look like a lottery system. Though I would say in their defence they do not make the decisions lightly.

Edinburgh and Southampton I would say were worse 'lottery-wise' as they did not/ do not interview which always struck me as odd.

Of course, that's what I meant.

Original post by excal9
Maths at trinity, yeah medicine's easy

tru dat
Reply 29
I would easily say Medicine is harder.

To get in anywhere for medicine you need broadly just as high grades as you would need for any course at Oxbridge.

But the difference is that science subjects require a very precise knowledge. You either get a calculation right or you get it wrong. Any discovery that you make could have life or death practical applications. They don't need dead weights on their courses.

Arts subjects do not require quite as precise a knowledge. You say what you think others might want to hear/read in order to deem you 'spot on'.
Some arts students will have precise knowledge on certain things but they are not necessarily the majority. And their knowledge is not necessarily any more objectively meaningful than someone who says that they can explain all the plots of every episode of Eastenders.
Dead weights on their courses are acceptable to them because they can always be 'argued' away.

Someone doing medicine at a red brick university might eat any Oxbridge student for breakfast.
Reply 30
Original post by Picnic1
I would easily say Medicine is harder.

To get in anywhere for medicine you need broadly just as high grades as you would need for any course at Oxbridge.

But the difference is that science subjects require a very precise knowledge. You either get a calculation right or you get it wrong. Any discovery that you make could have life or death practical applications. They don't need dead weights on their courses.

Arts subjects do not require quite as precise a knowledge. You say what you think others might want to hear/read in order to deem you 'spot on'.
Some arts students will have precise knowledge on certain things but they are not necessarily the majority. And their knowledge is not necessarily any more objectively meaningful than someone who says that they can explain all the plots of every episode of Eastenders.
Dead weights on their courses are acceptable to them because they can always be 'argued' away.

Someone doing medicine at a red brick university might eat any Oxbridge student for breakfast.

You're talking as if medicine is the only science subject. If anything, medicine is further away from the nature of scientific degrees due to the vocational aspects of medicine. Obviously arts subjects are more subjective, so leaving those out of the conversation, none of what you've said is specific to medicine, most apply to a greater to degree to STEM subjects.
Reply 31
How about medicine at Oxbridge? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oxbridge do not require perfect grades, I have a friend at Oxford reading Philosophy and Theology who had AAAB at AS. So obviously good grades but not perfect.

Regarding interviews I am not so sure about your point. Medical interviews require a very good knowledge, on average, of the NHS etc. So although they will not expect you to explain complement fixation or the brachial plexus they are going to expect a degree of competency. As for Oxbridge I was interviewed for Medicine, but they were only really interested in how I thought.

AAAB at AS is good for medicine. I know a lot of people that applied with lower.

People can get into medicine with BBBC at AS level, if they are predicted AAA.
For foundation courses, the requirements are much lower.

Also in terms of GCSEs, Oxford want pretty much nearly all A*s, whereas with medicine, a mixture of A*s/As/Bs will do for most unis.
Original post by letsbehonest
AAAB at AS is good for medicine. I know a lot of people that applied with lower.

People can get into medicine with BBBC at AS level, if they are predicted AAA.
For foundation courses, the requirements are much lower.

Also in terms of GCSEs, Oxford want pretty much nearly all A*s, whereas with medicine, a mixture of A*s/As/Bs will do for most unis.

With BBBC at AS you might be able to get into Medicine, I do not know on that so I will take your word for it, but the likelihood is probably quite low.

Again that is true regarding GCSEs but most people at Medical school, from what I have found, tend to have mostly A*s to a fairly high proportion. Those without a high proportion of A*s are few, so perhaps similar to Oxford in a way. I have no stats to back me up on that only anecdotal evidence so :hmmmm:
(edited 10 years ago)
I'd probably say Oxbridge.
Original post by Noble.

I didn't say , you don't need top grades to study at Oxford. I agree with everything your saying.
on average i'd probably say medicine
With BBBC at AS you might be able to get into Medicine, I do not know on that so I will take your word for it, but the likelihood is probably quite low.

Again that is true regarding GCSEs but most people at Medical school, from what I have found, tend to have mostly A*s to a fairly high proportion. Those without a high proportion of A*s are few, so perhaps similar to Oxford in a way. I have no stats to back me up on that only anecdotal evidence so :hmmmm:

Really depends on the medical school.

Some medical schools like Bristol are 20% grades, 80% personal statement preinterview. So people that haven't got the most amazing grades can get in. They don't even differentiate between A*/As at GCSE. Some medical schools even give instant interviews if you get over XXX in the admissions test (provided you meet the minimum requirements which usually aren't that high)
Reply 38

I'm pretty sure Edinburgh wants academic physicians and by making the process grades only they've made it so that students who don't think they will perform on the interview but have stellar grades can have a shot.
Reply 39
there are hundreds of med schools but only 1 oxbridge. so yeah, in theory it's easier to get in to medicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending