The Student Room Group

What does it mean to be "posh" these days?

I've recently been reading a few articles about how genuinely "posh" people are shunning Waitrose and shopping at Aldi, flying budget airlines, shopping at Primark, sending their kids to state schools, eating home-made food etc. etc. Generally doing everything on the cheap.

So the question is: why are these people "posh"? Why are such people still defined as posh and if it's just because of their background, would their children still be considered posh?

Scroll to see replies

because people don't care about the meanings of words anymore, duh
Reply 2
When you describe your salary as 'chicken feed'.
(edited 10 years ago)
speaking standard English for a start...
Reply 4
Original post by chocolatesauce
speaking standard English for a start...

That would be one factor but fewer and fewer people speak with RP these days.
Original post by Thomas2
That would be one factor but fewer and fewer people speak with RP these days.

what does 'RP' mean?
Reply 6
Received pronunciation, darling. :tongue:
Original post by Thomas2
Received pronunciation, darling. :tongue:

ahhhh yes but it can be because of their dialect and accent too
Reply 8
Katie Hopkins, or something to that affect.
Reply 9
ahhhh yes but it can be because of their dialect and accent too

Not everyone who is well-spoken thinks of themselves as posh.
But if so-called posh people are frequenting the same places as common folk there is not much else to set them apart. That being said I've always thought "poshness" should be more about manners and good etiquette as it is about money.
Original post by Thomas2
Not everyone who is well-spoken thinks of themselves as posh.
But if so-called posh people are frequenting the same places as common folk there is not much else to set them apart. That being said I've always thought "poshness" should be more about manners and good etiquette as it is about money.

I think the same but in this generation standards are loosening, even if you say 'whom' you are considered posh in my experience
Reply 11
I think the same but in this generation standards are loosening, even if you say 'whom' you are considered posh in my experience

LOL. I guess I would qualify then...

Perhaps they just mean old-fashioned...
Original post by Thomas2
LOL. I guess I would qualify then...

Perhaps they just mean old-fashioned...

perhaps my friend :biggrin:
Reply 13
perhaps my friend :biggrin:

I would say so, darling. :tongue:
Original post by Thomas2
I would say so, darling. :tongue:

One would have to say, what a marvelous post! :tongue:
Reply 15
One would have to say, what a marvelous post! :tongue:

I say, rather. Jolly good show and all that. What ho.
Reply 16
Original post by Thomas2
I've recently been reading a few articles about how genuinely "posh" people are shunning Waitrose and shopping at Aldi, flying budget airlines, shopping at Primark, sending their kids to state schools, eating home-made food etc. etc. Generally doing everything on the cheap.

So the question is: why are these people "posh"? Why are such people still defined as posh and if it's just because of their background, would their children still be considered posh?

What you are describing is classified as the 'Hybrid Consumer' in marketing. The borders are more fluid and consumers and mix shopping habits to meet their needs and maximise outcome. You don't need to go to Waitrose for loo cleaning liquids and Aldi has improved its wine section. Market researchers use other key 'markers' to define posh target groups.
Reply 17
Original post by Tcannon
Market researchers use other key 'markers' to define posh target groups.

Pray enlighten me?
Original post by Thomas2
I say, rather. Jolly good show and all that. What ho.

what a spiffing question, I have been in a tickety boo recently, golly gosh!
Reply 19
With the points in your OP it has a lot to do with the value of money. Why go to more expensive shops to prove you can shop there, when there is a cheaper alternative of the same quality?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending