The Student Room Group

What does it mean to be "posh" these days?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Katie_p
I think involvement in traditional cultural activities is also a key identifier of "posh" people - ballet, opera, theatre, afternoon tea. A posh person has the ability and the means to enjoy the finer things in life.

According to the article I read posh people are only pretending they have been to the opera and ballet.
Reply 41
Original post by chocolatesauce
its refreshing to me, others may just think I'm weird...

Go on, you know you want to. Where you lead others will follow!! :biggrin:
Reply 42
To be posh nowadays literally mean to not be a chav.
When you talk like Catherine Tate (the character)
Original post by Thomas2
Go on, you know you want to. Where you lead others will follow!! :biggrin:

Fine, I will lead the crowd and you will follow :tongue:
Reply 45
Original post by Thomas2
Sure, but if posh people are doing what everyone else does what defines them as posh?

The size of their bank account? Their education? Their accent? Their manners?
Can a posh person be poor? Can a rich person be "common"?

Perhaps it has something to do with not recklessly splashing money around to be seen as 'posh'. I think people who are comfortable with who they are won't feel the need to be put above the 'commoners' by buying exclusive items.
Reply 46
Original post by Thomas2
According to the article I read posh people are only pretending they have been to the opera and ballet.

Sorry, perhaps I should have added that posh people also have appearances to keep up and thus take part in cultural activities as a status symbol, to confirm to the world that they are worthy of their "posh" descriptor. Either that or they pretend to go, and spend the money they save on an extra week in the Bahamas, or a few bottles of expensive Champagne, because that's something that really does matter.
I don't think there's really a way of acting posh. Sure, people with more money tend to be better educated, speak RP etc, but no one lives "aristocratic" lifestyles anymore. I live in a fairly posh area know neighbours who travel using budget airlines, shop at Lidl etc.
Original post by Thomas2
I've recently been reading a few articles about how genuinely "posh" people are shunning Waitrose and shopping at Aldi, flying budget airlines, shopping at Primark, sending their kids to state schools, eating home-made food etc. etc. Generally doing everything on the cheap.

So the question is: why are these people "posh"? Why are such people still defined as posh and if it's just because of their background, would their children still be considered posh?

Some "posh" people don't want to be resented by the rest of the country for being so much more fortunate than them, and make an active effort to make a public display of saying "I'm one of you". This especially applies to people in politics, or in a position of power, or who are in the public eye a lot, because their jobs and success may depend upon their popularity and acceptance amongst ordinary working class people, who can get notoriously envious of people from a privileged background.

The reason these people are still "posh" is because they fall into a completely different category from the working class. Aspects of their lifestyle might be cheap, but it's probably out of choice rather than necessity. Plus, they are likely to be descended from the upper-class or upper-middle class, and will have inherited certain cultural values and behavioural nuances from them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 49
At college/uni I'm seen as posh for my extensive vocabulary (apparently sounding like a 30 year old :rolleyes:) and for occasionally pronouncing my T's. That's basically it.

In all fairness, I enjoy classical music (alongside rock and other genres) and would like to go to the theatre one day :moon:, but most of my friends don't even know that yet!
Reply 50
phonics are there to be used not ignored! they need to get that into their head!

Correction:
They needa ge' that' inta their 'ead!
When you wrap your sweater around your neck.
Reply 52
Fine, I will lead the crowd and you will follow :tongue:

Wha'ever... ;
Acting like you are one of guys but at the same time acting like I am so special. Like Emma Watson.
Original post by Thomas2
Wha'ever... ;

I suppose ignorance is bliss my friend :tongue:
Reply 55
Original post by Thomas2
I've recently been reading a few articles about how genuinely "posh" people are shunning Waitrose and shopping at Aldi, flying budget airlines, shopping at Primark, sending their kids to state schools, eating home-made food etc. etc. Generally doing everything on the cheap.

So the question is: why are these people "posh"? Why are such people still defined as posh and if it's just because of their background, would their children still be considered posh?

many people in trade think that if they buy a fancy car and send their child to St Cake's then they are posh. HKLP my dear.
Reply 56
I speak RP due to where I live but when I went to university nobody teased me as "posh".

Maybe they do behind my back, but...

I wouldn't say I'm posh ALTHOUGH I know posh people. These people speak in faux-Made In Chelsea accents, have huge incomes and generally think they are above you.
Reply 57
I suppose ignorance is bliss my friend :tongue:

I think you mean "ignorance is bliss, init" me old china...
Reply 58
Original post by the bear
many people in trade think that if they buy a fancy car and send their child to St Cake's then they are posh. HKLP my dear.

That's strictly for the nouveaux middle classes these days!
Reply 59
Being 'posh' is subjective. A lot of people where I live call me posh when in reality I am just well spoken. I have the same amount of money as everyone else and I work (whilst at college) at Asda haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending