The Student Room Group

The people who are called "black".

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by niceguy95
Also why do people think if your fair in skin tone, you ancestors where raped by white slave master somewhere along the line

Why can't people accept that you get fair skin black people with no ancestors, same way they accept that you can get fair skin asians?

People just think they know everything. I had a south Indian tell me I'm too light to be Indian and i'm just like 'lol my brother abuses me for being dark'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by niceguy95
Also why do people think if your fair in skin tone, you ancestors where raped by white slave master somewhere along the line

Why can't people accept that you get fair skin black people with no ancestors, same way they accept that you can get fair skin asians?

People don't. But if you're of Caribbean descent it's likely.
Over the whole continent of Africa of course there's differing skin tones among the different tribes, some very dark, some very pale.
(Actually this is because everyone is descended from 2 people so technically there are no races, but that's beside the point.)
It is also relatively easy to tell the difference between most light skinned Africans and mixed race people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by bananaminion
But then that's probably because, however far back, they are not actually purely black. A few hundred years ago, a white master raping a black slave, that could easily make someone have lightskin now: they are not black.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do know that you can be pure black and have lightskin? For example, Ethiopia and Somalia have no history of colonialism/slavery and a lot of them are lightskin.
Original post by Chihiro95
You do know that you can be pure black and have lightskin? For example, Ethiopia and Somalia have no history of colonialism/slavery and a lot of them are lightskin.

...As I have pointed out just above. Technically though, it is impossible to be "pure black", only pure human, as Black doesn't exist!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
...As I have pointed out just above. Technically though, it is impossible to be "pure black", only pure human, as Black doesn't exist!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pure [insert present day African Nationality here] is what I meant.
Original post by thesabbath
Miscegenation is child abuse as demonstrated by this thread, neither side fully accepts the half-castes

I'm sorry, another day I'd take the bait and we could both have fun but not today!
Original post by Chihiro95
Pure [insert present day African Nationality here] is what I meant.

Oh right yeahh fair enough
Reply 87
7505667_f260.jpgPoster-sized_portrait_of_Barack_Obama.jpgyoung-white-male-portrait-1426353.jpg
But really? I think that you think Obama looks black because it's been drilled into you that he is black. His skin colour is closer to a tanned person than a black person.

And yeah, tbh I actually feel a lot "whiter" than I do "black" so when white people class me as black it's just a bit grrr.

Something tells me that you wouldn't have made this thread if people called you white :beard:
Original post by HPF
Something tells me that you wouldn't have made this thread if people called you white :beard:

Why's that? As I've said a few times, it's not about me anyway. It's about mixed race people in general, which of course includes me.
If you're trying to imply that I'm racist and I think that being white is better than being black you're totally wrong.
I'm racist and I think that being mixed race is better than being either of them.
That... was a joke, by the way.
Reply 89
Why's that? As I've said a few times, it's not about me anyway. It's about mixed race people in general, which of course includes me.
If you're trying to imply that I'm racist and I think that being white is better than being black you're totally wrong.
I'm racist and I think that being mixed race is better than being either of them.
That... was a joke, by the way.

Your joke went down like a lead balloon :facepalm2:

Yes that is what I'm implying. You may be mixed race, but if you look more black than white (which you must do) then people will call you black, simple as that. People don't care enough to be specific, and that isn't changing anytime soon.
Reply 90
I think this is the right thread to post this on...
Anyway, does it not annoy and worry anyone else - how mixed race people are always called black, and never, ever, ever white.
Barack Obama. "The first black president". No. Shut up. He's as much white as he is black.
England's "black" footballers. Theo Walcott, Glen Johnson, Ashley Cole, etc. No. They're not black.
Now, Mark Duggan, for the past few years, black. But he's not black is he? He's half-white.
Personally, as a mixed-race person, this really really hurts me. It's white people who class them as this at first, and then everyone else just seems to go along with it. But it feels to me as if white people (consciously and unconsciously) are rejecting anyone who is not "pure" white. The slightest bit of anything else in you and no you can't be white. You're asian, or black, or whatever.
Is it just me who this worries and upsets, am I overreacting, or do people notice this as well and think it's wrong?

I don't think you overreacted. I am a mixed race (more Black than white) where I live I'm referred to as a coloured, and I find it strange that everywhere else I'm referred to as Black. I don't think we should be called white because most are black instinctively, why can't we have a universally accepted name like coloured (apparently some find offensive) because I don't want to be cast into a race which I'm not in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
I think this is the right thread to post this on...
Anyway, does it not annoy and worry anyone else - how mixed race people are always called black, and never, ever, ever white.
Barack Obama. "The first black president". No. Shut up. He's as much white as he is black.
England's "black" footballers. Theo Walcott, Glen Johnson, Ashley Cole, etc. No. They're not black.
Now, Mark Duggan, for the past few years, black. But he's not black is he? He's half-white.
Personally, as a mixed-race person, this really really hurts me. It's white people who class them as this at first, and then everyone else just seems to go along with it. But it feels to me as if white people (consciously and unconsciously) are rejecting anyone who is not "pure" white. The slightest bit of anything else in you and no you can't be white. You're asian, or black, or whatever.
Is it just me who this worries and upsets, am I overreacting, or do people notice this as well and think it's wrong?

Been saying this for years.

It pisses me off tbh. The worse thing is them trying to justify it.
I read that this complex originally transpired from the Jim Crow laws, where anybody with traceable black blood is automatically classified as black, even if it's 1/4 from a black grandmother e.g.. That surely must show how racist and inherently flawed calling a mixed race person black is.
Original post by HPF
Your joke went down like a lead balloon :facepalm2:

Yes that is what I'm implying. You may be mixed race, but if you look more black than white (which you must do) then people will call you black, simple as that. People don't care enough to be specific, and that isn't changing anytime soon.

Well then I can conclude nothing but that you're an idiot. I nowhere implied anything of the sort, in fact since it came into your mind it's more likely that you actually think white>black...
Why must I look more black than white? Just looked in the mirror, and nope, there's no way anyone would ever mistake me for a black person. I look more Mediterranean or very tanned white if anything.
As I have repeatedly said, it's not about me.
It's about mixed race people in general.
People don't call me black, people call mixed race people in general black.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Been saying this for years.

It pisses me off tbh. The worse thing is them trying to justify it.
I read that this complex originally transpired from the Jim Crow laws, where anybody with traceable black blood is automatically classified as black, even if it's 1/4 from a black grandmother e.g.. That surely must show how racist and inherently flawed calling a mixed race person black is.

Yess. I was talking with my parents about it earlier and both of them think there's nothing wrong with it, just that "it's a bit strange".
But I think it's more than a bit strange, like you say, it is racist.
But why? Are you not as much white as you are black?
Why would you call yourself black anyway, you are mixed race.
Would you rather be a different colour than you are? Really?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not understanding me. I AM MIXED-RACE. If I had to choice between considering myself BLACK or WHITE, I'd say black.

Basic English, very easy to comprehend, sir.
Original post by IntriguedUser
You're not understanding me. I AM MIXED-RACE. If I had to choice between considering myself BLACK or WHITE, I'd say black.

Basic English, very easy to comprehend, sir.

But I don't understand WHY. Are you 50:50?
Is it because you kind of "feel" more black than you do white personally? Or because you think that mixed race people are more naturally "more black'?
Because I can easily understand the first one; I feel that except the other way round, though I would never be able to choose.
If it's the second, then that's what my problem is.
And it's miss :tongue:
But I don't understand WHY. Are you 50:50?
Is it because you kind of "feel" more black than you do white personally? Or because you think that mixed race people are more naturally "more black'?
Because I can easily understand the first one; I feel that except the other way round, though I would never be able to choose.
If it's the second, then that's what my problem is.
And it's miss :tongue:

probably enviromental factors, most of my friends are black, family, and so on...

Then there's the fact I'm brown in terms of skin colour...

ANd sorry, miss :wink:
Reply 97
People don't. But if you're of Caribbean descent it's likely.
Over the whole continent of Africa of course there's differing skin tones among the different tribes, some very dark, some very pale.
(Actually this is because everyone is descended from 2 people so technically there are no races, but that's beside the point.)
It is also relatively easy to tell the difference between most light skinned Africans and mixed race people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

HOL UP, WAIT A MINUTE

We all descend from 2 people?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
HOL UP, WAIT A MINUTE

We all descend from 2 people?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99

Like Adam & Eve? This whole race thing becomes a bit muddled when you believe that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending