The Student Room Group

25/26 too old to enter investment banking?

Hello,

I was just looking for a bit of advice. For various reasons which I won't enter here I'm looking for a career change and am considering investment banking. I have a decent CV (Oxford graduate, qualified barrister) but I get the impression that investment banks have a preference for new graduates, around the ages of 21-22. By contrast I will soon turn 26.

Do you think I am too old to enter banking? I don't have any banking experience so would probably need to try to line up some internships.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Original post by beastfromtheeast
Hello,

I was just looking for a bit of advice. For various reasons which I won't enter here I'm looking for a career change and am considering investment banking. I have a decent CV (Oxford graduate, qualified barrister) but I get the impression that investment banks have a preference for new graduates, around the ages of 21-22. By contrast I will soon turn 26.

Do you think I am too old to enter banking? I don't have any banking experience so would probably need to try to line up some internships.

I'm a lot younger than you and did once comtemplate going into investment banking via a law degree.

With a degree from Oxford, it shouldn't be difficult finding a job. But is it what you want to do? To my knowledge, investment banking is a extremely stressful occupation and the job security is definitely not as high as a lawyer.

Either way, best of luck as the most important question is: do you really want to commit yourself to it?
Original post by beastfromtheeast
Hello,

No, I don't think you're too old. But at a time when most would be considering starting a family you're going to be working 80-100 hour weeks. I imagine you'd have to start as an Analyst rather than entering at a higher level.

Email recruitment, they will guide you - you will probably have to go via the internship route which is tough enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mr Blankfein himself qualified as a lawyer before banking. So long as you're under 30 it's definitely possible.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I thought it was probably ok but I was interested to hear your views. It's difficult to find out this sort of information from official sources so it's helpful to hear your opinions.
Reply 5
Many new analysts join at 24-26 since it is quite common to do master's degrees in Continental Europe, hence your age most definitely isn't the issue. On the other hand, your lack of relevant experience might be a problem, but since you graduated from Oxford, you should be able to score your fair share of interviews.
Reply 6
Analyst reporting here. I'm 22 with only a bachelors degree.

Most of the fellow analysts in my company are all 25+

The most recent analyst I acquainted with is a 26. Hardly old for PE standards...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending