The Student Room Group

Work Experience in Media for Year 10?

This year in March I have to complete a work experience placement and was wondering - what is a good place to do work experience in London within Media and Journalism?
Thank you :smile:
Are you say, fifteen? It is useful to say how old you are - most places I would say you are going to be too young. You probably won't think so but it is arguable whether you would get a lot out of it.

When you are over sixteen you could try Channel 4 - they have a scheme for a couple of weeks work ex. You will be a lot better off doing this - you won't thank me for saying so but it is tricky to host work experience when they are eighteen let alone younger and many media outlets just aren't set up for it. But any official scheme like this will put some effort into making sure your experience is useful to you.

In many smaller media enterprises you might pose an insurance issue as a minor which could be a problem people are put off by. Or - horror - actually cost money!

My advice (and I have 18 years working in TV) is to generate something on your own/with friends. Think some sort of blog/vlog/you tube channel - figure out a USP for yourself. The one thing everyone in the media likes is someone who shows initiative. Work Experience won't teach you that, but doing your own thing will :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending