The Student Room Group

I feel like people think I'm immature?

I'm 21 and seriously do not feel my age.
That doesn't mean that I feel like life is one big theme park (it's not) nor that I'm entitled to have life handed to me on a silver platter (I don't)

For whatever reason I feel immature. I'm not sure what life experience I missed out on but I don't feel like I belong in my peer group.

I think people are waiting for me to grow up but don't know how to start beyond the obvious: work, get a job, don't act like a child.

What does all this mean?
It means nothing.

Riku, if someone has a fleeting thought about you, it's gone in a second. These things shouldn't change how you live your life. What other people think about you shouldn't change how you are. You aren't them.
Reply 2
Being immature is more fun though and your not that old maybe your friends are just too mature for their age :smile:
Depends on the severity of the immaturity, sometimes we just need to act serious at times.

Although other than when you need to act serious to get work done or for safety, then be yourself all the way :smile:
Reply 4
I fully intend never to properly 'grow up' for good, it looks like you don't get to have an awful lot of fun.

Don't get me wrong I'll do it for some of the time, but if I ever have a bath and don't give myself a foam beard I'll know to give it all up.
Reply 5
No-one really feels mature enough. The big secret of adulthood is that you aren't any more prepared than when you were a teenager, you just have far more responsibilities.
Reply 6
Original post by JennaEmBee
It means nothing.

Riku, if someone has a fleeting thought about you, it's gone in a second. These things shouldn't change how you live your life. What other people think about you shouldn't change how you are. You aren't them.

But I feel immature too.
I mean I'm a virgin, I can't drive, I'm still learning how to cook, I don't own my own place, I don't pay many bills, I haven't even moved out yet…I'm just confused. I don't know how all my other friends and peers are faring compared to me :s-smilie:

(Ok I know being a virgin isn't always a sign of immaturity and sometimes having already lost it is, but I feel lacking in terms of not having that 'life experience' which often comes with age and maturity)
Original post by Riku
But I feel immature too.
I mean I'm a virgin, I can't drive, I'm still learning how to cook, I don't own my own place, I don't pay many bills, I haven't even moved out yet…I'm just confused. I don't know how all my other friends and peers are faring compared to me :s-smilie:

(Ok I know being a virgin isn't always a sign of immaturity and sometimes having already lost it is, but I feel lacking in terms of not having that 'life experience' which often comes with age and maturity)

I am 23 this month, only pay 35 a week rent and my phone bill, can't cook very well. I lost my virginity at 14 that obviously doesn't mean I was mature. Everyone does things at different times. My dad lived with his mum until she died. These things have no correlation with maturity. Who wants to be 'mature' anyway it's boring as hell.

Edit, also, I don't know of anyone that owned their own place at 21.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending