The Student Room Group

Which is better? JRPG or WRPG

Simple question, which is your preferred type of RPG game?
Reply 1
West has Mass Effect. East has Yakuza. Can't decide.

Not sure what the difference is anyway.
For me it definitely has to be JRPG, been a fan of the Final Fantasy series since VII, and have gone on to play every single numbered entry there is.
In general western- Fallout, Skyrim, Mass Effect etc. I'm not fan of Japanese art styles, play styles, dialogue and the culture in general actually. Saying that I like Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls and Monster Hunter- maybe because they're so dissimilar from other Japanese games.
Reply 4
I prefer western RPG's over Eastern, that said Monster Hunter Tri is one of my favourite games
Reply 5
Original post by ozzyoscy
West has Mass Effect. East has Yakuza. Can't decide.

Not sure what the difference is anyway.

Good point lol I guess it's literally whether it was made in Japan or made in the west but they have some stereotypes associated with them.

WRPGs are seen as more open world e.g. Skyrim, Kingdom of Amalur

JRPGs more linear e.g. Final Fantasy

WRPGs more focused on character creation maybe. A lot of them have much darker storylines The Witcher, Dragon Age, Fallout
Reply 6
JRPGs... they usually have more interesting characters and stories. Well, they did back in the 90s at least.
Reply 7
Neither, they're rather different and it ultimately comes down to taste.

I like several of both. >_>
Reply 8
Probably JRPGs. Not for any particular reason, I just happened to have got into them more so than western ones. Still like some WRPG ish games. I live Mass Effect and Deus Ex. Never particularly got into things like Baldur's Gate though. I did have it and played it for a bit but I couldn't really get into it.

Quick Reply

Latest