The Student Room Group

The Gym Group

Have been considering joining The Gym Group as they have a branch pretty close to me and are cheap (£11 p/m). However there are two things putting me off.

A lot of people say there isn't enough equipment there

and the weights in the free-weight section only go up to 30KG.

I go to a 'ghetto gym' as of now and it has weights up to 50KG, but it also has it's drawbacks too. Is anyone here a member of The Gym Group and can confirm/deny these things? Also what do you think of it/ worth signing up to?
Original post by 140BPM
Have been considering joining The Gym Group as they have a branch pretty close to me and are cheap (£11 p/m). However there are two things putting me off.

I go to a 'ghetto gym' as of now and it has weights up to 50KG, but it also has it's drawbacks too. Is anyone here a member of The Gym Group and can confirm/deny these things? Also what do you think of it/ worth signing up to?

I've been to my local one.

The dumbbells vary by gym. This place only went up to 30kg but others go heavier. Check the one near you. Barbell can go heavier anyway.

There's not much strength training equipment and is often busy peak times. If you want stuff to yourself then go at weird times. Or just share things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
there arent enough benches and the free weights section is quite small but the dumbells at my local one go upto 50kg, theres a lot of machines though only useful if ur a beginner
Reply 3
Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not perfect, but for the price it isn't bad.
Yeah the DBs only go ip to 30kg, but they have barbells, and they're pretty clean, which is more than I can say for some gyms I've been to. Plus, they're open all day. Some private gyms (I'm guessing your 'ghetto gym' is a private one) are run by lazy bastards that always open an hour or more late. That's one of the advantages of commercial gyms: they have to abide by their own rules, whereas private ones just do what they like.
Imo, The Gym Group is worth the money:smile:
Also, I wouldn't say there isn't enough equipment there. All you really need is a barbell w/ plates, a bench and a pull up bar. Too many people think they have to do like 10 exercises for each muscle when they can't even bench 200lbs.
(edited 10 years ago)
I can only speak for my local one, but I think they're all pretty similar/of the same standard. I would describe Thegym as a cardio bunny/DYEL gym.

The dumbbells only go up to 30kg
There aren't many 20g plates
The free weight section is tiny (it's a real pain because of how busy it always is)
The equipment is very limited. Handful of benches, no bench station, only one power rack and only one proper barbell.

It depends what you want from the gym? If you want to 'lift properly', Thegym is an awful choice. If you want to just go every now and again, do some cardio and use a few cable machines, then it's a decent enough gym.

I will just add, in my experience a LOT of douches go there (there are obviously perfectly pleasant people too, but there are a lot of douches) . If you get annoyed easily by people leaving the gym in a mess/not putting weights back, standing around chatting all day and just generally being little ****ing ****s, it's probably not the place for you.
Yo Scoobiedoobiedo which gym do u recommend for serious lifting?
Original post by Company Commissar
Yo Scoobiedoobiedo which gym do u recommend for serious lifting?

Would obviously depend entirely on where you're located and which gyms you have access to.
Reply 7
Original post by 140BPM

At my Gym they offer a free day pass, maybe see if they offer one at yours and go and check it out?
Reply 8
It's pretty decent for an emergency or whatever. You'll very rarely need a dumbell above 30 anyway, and the bars can go higher. Never go at peak times (or any time close to peak) though.
Reply 9
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
I can only speak for my local one, but I think they're all pretty similar/of the same standard. I would describe Thegym as a cardio bunny/DYEL gym.

The dumbbells only go up to 30kg
There aren't many 20g plates
The free weight section is tiny (it's a real pain because of how busy it always is)
The equipment is very limited. Handful of benches, no bench station, only one power rack and only one proper barbell.

It depends what you want from the gym? If you want to 'lift properly', Thegym is an awful choice. If you want to just go every now and again, do some cardio and use a few cable machines, then it's a decent enough gym.

I will just add, in my experience a LOT of douches go there (there are obviously perfectly pleasant people too, but there are a lot of douches) . If you get annoyed easily by people leaving the gym in a mess/not putting weights back, standing around chatting all day and just generally being little ****ing ****s, it's probably not the place for you.

Haha I tend to ignore them, but sometimes you just can't. Thanks for the advice on this and to everyone else who has commented, definitely not a casual lifter and was wondering if this was a cardio-focused chain or not. Seeing as it's only £11 a month and my current one is 40, it might be worth going for a month and seeing what it's like. My area I live in is generally full of skinny gym morons tensing in the mirror which is why I like this smaller gym I'm at right now, but you can't really complain for £29 less and a 24hr opening time....aghh a tough decision!

Original post by samba
It's pretty decent for an emergency or whatever. You'll very rarely need a dumbell above 30 anyway, and the bars can go higher. Never go at peak times (or any time close to peak) though.

Definitely need above 30KG dumbbells, essential for chest, back and leg days!
Reply 10
Original post by 140BPM

Definitely need above 30KG dumbbells, essential for chest, back and leg days!

If you know the equipment isn't good enough for you, why are you asking in the first place lol? You're not gonna find a good chain gym with the equipment you want for £12 a month. Hell, I pay 60.
Pay £12.50 a month for a proper gym crew.
Original post by samba
If you know the equipment isn't good enough for you, why are you asking in the first place lol? You're not gonna find a good chain gym with the equipment you want for £12 a month. Hell, I pay 60.

Tbh I pay £12 a month for an awesome gym with DBs up to 50kg and oly bars and plates. Lovely equipment.

But it's a uni one and not a chain one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by samba

I wanted to know whether it was worth the compromise

Quick Reply

Latest