The Student Room Group

Offers for Mathematics?

Dear TSR people,

I wanted to ask you how Universities make offers. Do they give everyone the same/ similar offer - ie: A*A*A +1 in Step 2,3 and then accept the people who have gotten those grades?

I want to ask this because I want to apply for entry in in September 2015 and at the time of applying I will only have A/S Mathematics and A/S Economics. I only started self teaching A-Level Maths last week. (Spent about a month before relearning GCSE Maths)

My GCSE's aren't great as I only got a B in Mathematics but I am finding Core 1 quite easy. These are the qualifications I will apply with - I will have 1-4 when applying and I am confident of securing top marks.

1. BTEC L3 Business (Double Distinction Star) Achieved
2. BTEC L3 I.T (Distinction Star) Achieved
3. A/S Mathematics (Pending - May 2014)
4. A/S Economics (Pending - May 2014)

5. A/2 Mathematics (Pending - May 2015)
6. A/2 Economics (Pending - May 2015)
7. A2 Further Mathematics (Pending - May 2015)

Has anybody here every applied with just A/S Maths as proof of your abilities in Mathematics? Is it enough? Has anyone been made and offer and got in? Will it be super hard to gain offers from the likes of Warwick and UCL if I apply with just A/S Maths and a B in GCSE Maths? I will do my best on the Personal Statement but what should I do job wise to boost my chances of gaining an offer? I have experience of tutoring kids for their 11+ and I am working with my sister who is planning on doing her GCSE Maths in Year 8.

I am so sorry for the long post, I have so many questions! :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Can someone please help me?
It's not quite up there with Warwick or anything, but I've got offers from Sheffield and two other RG unis with just AS maths achieved. It might be an idea to do plenty of extra-curricular maths (lectures and stuff) as well as further maths AS (or full a-level, if you can) just to show that you're serious. A degree is very different to the A-level alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since your applying for 2015 surly thats plenty of time to work hard and get great AS results this year?
Most people will be applying for uni with only their AS grades.

However most people will have completed their 4 AS levels in a single academic year (whereas you appear to have completed two BTECs and are doing two AS levels in the 13/14 year?)
This could disadvantage you, depending on what you have been doing with the rest of your time. If you have competed these AS levels while traveling or working full time that would be understandable)

My advice would be to work like crazy and do AS Further Maths in time for the summer exams. If your not working full time with is very doable (if your ability in maths is sufficient)

If you get high UMS in maths, further and economics I dont see why they wouldnt at least consider you.
Original post by bluebeetle
It's not quite up there with Warwick or anything, but I've got offers from Sheffield and two other RG unis with just AS maths achieved. It might be an idea to do plenty of extra-curricular maths (lectures and stuff) as well as further maths AS (or full a-level, if you can) just to show that you're serious. A degree is very different to the A-level alone.

That is wonderful, well done! Well, I do teach 11+ Maths plus I am teaching my sister GCSE Maths (She is in Year 7 and will sit her GCSE Maths in Year 8). Do you think I have enough time from now until May?

Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
Since your applying for 2015 surly thats plenty of time to work hard and get great AS results this year?
Most people will be applying for uni with only their AS grades.

However most people will have completed their 4 AS levels in a single academic year (whereas you appear to have completed two BTECs and are doing two AS levels in the 13/14 year?)
This could disadvantage you, depending on what you have been doing with the rest of your time. If you have competed these AS levels while traveling or working full time that would be understandable)

My advice would be to work like crazy and do AS Further Maths in time for the summer exams. If your not working full time with is very doable (if your ability in maths is sufficient)

If you get high UMS in maths, further and economics I dont see why they wouldnt at least consider you.

Hey dude,

I am quite confident of gaining 95%+ on Core 1, Core 2 and Statistics one as I have a lot of good resources (Books, Exam Solutions, MyMaths, M4ths.com) and I will be seeing a tutor once every two weeks. I can dedicate up to 4 hours of learning per day too. I will sit the above 3 exams in May this year.

Hmm, my two BTECs are equal to 3A* but I know very well they mean very little compared to A-Levels especially as they are not Maths related. Well, I am doing my AS's in half a year, having just started earlier this month - would they take this into consideration? I will do AS Maths and Economics (5 exams combined) in May 2014 before applying and then I will do A2 Maths, Further Maths & Economics in May 2015 (11 exams).

If you recommend doing the full A2 in May this year do you think it would be possible for me to learn all 6 units by then?
I only got an A (as opposed to A*) in IGCSE Maths and Additional Maths, but got very good AS grades. I have an offer from Cambridge to study maths there. I wouldn't worry too much about your GCSE grades.
Original post by felamaslen
I only got an A (as opposed to A*) in IGCSE Maths and Additional Maths, but got very good AS grades. I have an offer from Cambridge to study maths there. I wouldn't worry too much about your GCSE grades.

Hey, thank you for your post!

Congratulations! So, did you apply with just A/S Mathematics or the full A2? What were your other A/S's like? Sorry for asking so many questions :colondollar:
Original post by Pollai
Hey, thank you for your post!

Congratulations! So, did you apply with just A/S Mathematics or the full A2? What were your other A/S's like? Sorry for asking so many questions :colondollar:

Thanks. I haven't done any of my A2s yet actually. I got four As at AS (which you kind of need for Cambridge :tongue:), and four A* predictions (I do Further Maths, Physics and Biology). Biology was the least good and they didn't put it in as part of my offer (I need an A at Further Maths and Physics, an A* at Maths and STEP II and III grades 1). Overall at AS, discounting Biology, my ums average was 95%.
Original post by Pollai

Hey dude,

I am quite confident of gaining 95%+ on Core 1, Core 2 and Statistics one as I have a lot of good resources (Books, Exam Solutions, MyMaths, M4ths.com) and I will be seeing a tutor once every two weeks. I can dedicate up to 4 hours of learning per day too. I will sit the above 3 exams in May this year.

Hmm, my two BTECs are equal to 3A* but I know very well they mean very little compared to A-Levels especially as they are not Maths related. Well, I am doing my AS's in half a year, having just started earlier this month - would they take this into consideration? I will do AS Maths and Economics (5 exams combined) in May 2014 before applying and then I will do A2 Maths, Further Maths & Economics in May 2015 (11 exams).

If you recommend doing the full A2 in May this year do you think it would be possible for me to learn all 6 units by then?

I guess it depends what the reason was for starting earlier this month. If its a reason such as a personal or family illness, or trauma, etc (You dont have to say, it should be clear to you if it falls under those categories). If on the other hand you were working a job then quit to continue A levels...hmm, I just cant see them being all that impressed.

When I was at my camb interview I met lots of people who were doing accelerated math (so AS and A2 in single year) alongside their regular AS levels, so its very doable.
The thing about university entrance that everyone seems to forget at some point or another is that, sure, try hard to make your application thee best it can be, but at the end of the day you will get into a place your matched for. If you can do AS and A2 maths alongside AS economics before summer exams and get A* A with high UMS, then you will cope at a place like UCL or Warwick and they will consider you. If you cant, then just do AS math and econ and apply to other unis who will be less stringent. Good luck.
Thanks. I haven't done any of my A2s yet actually. I got four As at AS (which you kind of need for Cambridge :tongue:), and four A* predictions (I do Further Maths, Physics and Biology). Biology was the least good and they didn't put it in as part of my offer (I need an A at Further Maths and Physics, an A* at Maths and STEP II and III grades 1). Overall at AS, discounting Biology, my ums average was 95%.

That is amazing, well done! I don't think my application would be anywhere near as good as yours :frown:

I guess it depends what the reason was for starting earlier this month. If its a reason such as a personal or family illness, or trauma, etc (You dont have to say, it should be clear to you if it falls under those categories). If on the other hand you were working a job then quit to continue A levels...hmm, I just cant see them being all that impressed.

When I was at my camb interview I met lots of people who were doing accelerated math (so AS and A2 in single year) alongside their regular AS levels, so its very doable.
The thing about university entrance that everyone seems to forget at some point or another is that, sure, try hard to make your application thee best it can be, but at the end of the day you will get into a place your matched for. If you can do AS and A2 maths alongside AS economics before summer exams and get A* A with high UMS, then you will cope at a place like UCL or Warwick and they will consider you. If you cant, then just do AS math and econ and apply to other unis who will be less stringent. Good luck.

Hey dude,

I am not in school - I started self teaching A-Level Maths earlier last week. Do you think I can do the whole A-Level from now until May? Do you think MyMaths, ExamSolutions and M4ths.com will be enough or should I see a tutor on a daily basis (Don't think I can afford that :frown:)

I am not working at the moment as I have a health issue which means I have to go to the hospital 3 times a week. I have all day to study - do you think I can do it? Has it been done before? I will try my best - it's just that as I private candidate I have to pay £50 per exam paper, I don't want to pay £400 only to find I am not ready to sit the exam :frown:
Original post by Pollai
That is amazing, well done! I don't think my application would be anywhere near as good as yours :frown:

Don't worry, unless you're applying for Oxbridge, as long as you have As it's good. And as I say, the GCSEs don't matter, as long as they're not disastrous.
Don't worry, unless you're applying for Oxbridge, as long as you have As it's good. And as I say, the GCSEs don't matter, as long as they're not disastrous.

Well, they're not disastrous but compared to the standards of top Universities for Maths I guess it is - I have 11 GCSEs (2A*, 7B, 2Cs)

With just A/S Maths and Economics to show for do you think I could apply to Warwick or UCL? Would they not care that although I didn't do A2 Maths in Year 1 I would be doing A2 Maths, Further Maths and Economics in Year 2?

I don't know what to do now, the deadline at my exam centre is the 1st of February - I will try to see if I can power through Core 1 and 2 by then. If I succeed I may go ahead and do the whole A2 in May like the guy above suggested. If only I started in September... :frown:
Original post by Pollai
Well, they're not disastrous but compared to the standards of top Universities for Maths I guess it is - I have 11 GCSEs (2A*, 7B, 2Cs)

With just A/S Maths and Economics to show for do you think I could apply to Warwick or UCL? Would they not care that although I didn't do A2 Maths in Year 1 I would be doing A2 Maths, Further Maths and Economics in Year 2?

I don't know what to do now, the deadline at my exam centre is the 1st of February - I will try to see if I can power through Core 1 and 2 by then. If I succeed I may go ahead and do the whole A2 in May like the guy above suggested. If only I started in September... :frown:

Can I ask why you didn't decide to do a third AS level this year? Is it because you didn't realise you wanted to do further maths?

I should think that if you get really good results for AS Maths (and I'm talking about above 95 ums for the core papers and above 90 for the applied), and do very well in economics too, then the universities should at least consider you, for sure.

That said, it would look really good if you already had A2 Maths. Have a look through some A2 past papers (concentrate on C3 and C4, the applied papers require some techniques from core). I would say that starting now, it is possible, but you will have to work pretty hard (i.e. solidly from now until May). But if you're looking to study Maths at university, C3 and C4 should both be very easy to learn, it's just a question of practice. There is enough time if you hurry and start now.

Here's a link to some past papers by the way: http://www.freeexampapers.com/#A Level/Maths/Edexcel/C3

Also, look at STEP papers sooner rather than later. They are seriously hard.
(edited 10 years ago)
Can I ask why you didn't decide to do a third AS level this year? Is it because you didn't realise you wanted to do further maths?

I should think that if you get really good results for AS Maths (and I'm talking about above 95 ums for the core papers and above 90 for the applied), and do very well in economics too, then the universities should at least consider you, for sure.

That said, it would look really good if you already had A2 Maths. Have a look through some A2 past papers (concentrate on C3 and C4, the applied papers require some techniques from core). I would say that starting now, it is possible, but you will have to work pretty hard (i.e. solidly from now until May). But if you're looking to study Maths at university, C3 and C4 should both be very easy to learn, it's just a question of practice. There is enough time if you hurry and start now.

Here's a link to some past papers by the way: http://www.freeexampapers.com/#A Level/Maths/Edexcel/C3

Also, look at STEP papers sooner rather than later. They are seriously hard.

Thank you very much for your posts felamaslen! I really appreciate your help :biggrin:

I only decided to get into Mathematics again in December 2013 after helping my nieces with some GCSE questions - I was a top student but didn't revise at all and thus all of those B grades :frown:. I always knew that I had to do Further Maths as I want to do Mathematics at University. The only reason why I am not (currently) doing a third is because I don't know of any that I could do as a private candidate. I could do Physics but that requires a Practical and that costs loooaads! Depending on how I do this year I might save up and do A/S Physics next year. I don't know if Languages would require practicals as well but if not I would do pretty well as I currently speak 4 languages - currently learning Spanish.

Thank you, I really hope they do! I know if I do just the 3 Units I will do great. Learning wise I know I can do Core 3,4 plus an additional unit but its just the amount of time I have that worries me. I might just need to buy a whole coffee farm lol

I think that if I manage to do the whole A2 this May then I will begin looking at STEP papers about a month after the exams, I will spend the time before that to start on Further Maths. Thankfully it will all be less stressful next year as I shall have the whole year!
Original post by Pollai
Thank you very much for your posts felamaslen! I really appreciate your help :biggrin:

I only decided to get into Mathematics again in December 2013 after helping my nieces with some GCSE questions - I was a top student but didn't revise at all and thus all of those B grades :frown:. I always knew that I had to do Further Maths as I want to do Mathematics at University. The only reason why I am not (currently) doing a third is because I don't know of any that I could do as a private candidate. I could do Physics but that requires a Practical and that costs loooaads! Depending on how I do this year I might save up and do A/S Physics next year. I don't know if Languages would require practicals as well but if not I would do pretty well as I currently speak 4 languages - currently learning Spanish.

Thank you, I really hope they do! I know if I do just the 3 Units I will do great. Learning wise I know I can do Core 3,4 plus an additional unit but its just the amount of time I have that worries me. I might just need to buy a whole coffee farm lol

I think that if I manage to do the whole A2 this May then I will begin looking at STEP papers about a month after the exams, I will spend the time before that to start on Further Maths. Thankfully it will all be less stressful next year as I shall have the whole year!

I see, I didn't realise you were taking them all as a private candidate. You know Further Maths is six modules though? You could do the three first year modules which count as an AS (FP1 and two applied, e.g. S1 and S2 [that's what I did last year for FM]) in 2014, and the three A2 modules (FP2, FP3 and an A2 applied module such as M2, or no FP3 but an extra A2 applied module) for 2015. Although I don't see how that would be any better application-wise than doing A2 maths this year and further next year, so I guess it's your call. But you may want to consider it as a possibility, because FP1 is definitely easier (and shorter!) than C3 and C4 and is aimed at first years (since 2009, anyway, and I'm talking about Edexcel here of course).

I was home educated before going to college and therefore took all my (I)GCSEs as a private candidate. You may differ of course, but I found that when I went to college my motivation was brought up a lot simply by being around people who were also working and having a set routine in place. I'm saying this because if you want to start three modules now and finish them in May with time to practise them, you might want some sort of military-style work regime in addition to the coffee farm. Maybe a timer for the wall socket on the computer, shutting it off at certain times if you fail to. I know I would! :colone:

No problem by the way, glad to help :smile:
I see, I didn't realise you were taking them all as a private candidate. You know Further Maths is six modules though? You could do the three first year modules which count as an AS (FP1 and two applied, e.g. S1 and S2 [that's what I did last year for FM]) in 2014, and the three A2 modules (FP2, FP3 and an A2 applied module such as M2, or no FP3 but an extra A2 applied module) for 2015. Although I don't see how that would be any better application-wise than doing A2 maths this year and further next year, so I guess it's your call. But you may want to consider it as a possibility, because FP1 is definitely easier (and shorter!) than C3 and C4 and is aimed at first years (since 2009, anyway, and I'm talking about Edexcel here of course).

I was home educated before going to college and therefore took all my (I)GCSEs as a private candidate. You may differ of course, but I found that when I went to college my motivation was brought up a lot simply by being around people who were also working and having a set routine in place. I'm saying this because if you want to start three modules now and finish them in May with time to practise them, you might want some sort of military-style work regime in addition to the coffee farm. Maybe a timer for the wall socket on the computer, shutting it off at certain times if you fail to. I know I would! :colone:

No problem by the way, glad to help :smile:

Hmm,

That sounds a lot better than doing the whole of A2 Maths this year - especially considering it will give me the chance to apply with 3 A/S's (Maths, Further Maths and Economics). What modules should I take to have both A/S Maths and Further Maths? Is this correct/ doable?

A/S Maths - Core 1, Core 2, D1
A/S Further Maths - Further Pure 1, Statistics 1, Statistics 2

I would have loved to do my studies at a college but since I have already been to college I have to pay. It doesn't cost much but I think I'd do better on my own (No distractions). I am also 20 years old now so I'd feel a little awkward going back to college lol. Yep sure, I know :smile: I will sit 12 units combined for Maths/ Further Maths. I know what you mean about motivation - I found it quite hard to get started with my GCSE re-revision/ learning but once I got started and into it I was fine - I think it is actually starting that is the hardest part and now that I have begun my studies hopefully I will be fine! :biggrin:

Ahaa! I now plan on doing 6 units in May thanks to your advice and GottaLovePhysics'. The military-style work regime will be a must, I don't think a coffee farm will be enough! :redface:
Original post by Pollai

I am not in school - I started self teaching A-Level Maths earlier last week. Do you think I can do the whole A-Level from now until May? Do you think MyMaths, ExamSolutions and M4ths.com will be enough or should I see a tutor on a daily basis (Don't think I can afford that :frown:)

If your with Edexcel all you need are their books. With the work through solutions they have on the DVD you cant go wrong!
As before, if your UCL/Warwick material you will be able to do it. If you find you struggled and just got good grades in AS but not A2, then you can adjust your uni choices accordingly. If you have health circumstances be sure to look into special access programs etc.
Original post by Pollai
Hmm,

That sounds a lot better than doing the whole of A2 Maths this year - especially considering it will give me the chance to apply with 3 A/S's (Maths, Further Maths and Economics). What modules should I take to have both A/S Maths and Further Maths? Is this correct/ doable?

A/S Maths - Core 1, Core 2, D1
A/S Further Maths - Further Pure 1, Statistics 1, Statistics 2

I would have loved to do my studies at a college but since I have already been to college I have to pay. It doesn't cost much but I think I'd do better on my own (No distractions). I am also 20 years old now so I'd feel a little awkward going back to college lol. Yep sure, I know :smile: I will sit 12 units combined for Maths/ Further Maths. I know what you mean about motivation - I found it quite hard to get started with my GCSE re-revision/ learning but once I got started and into it I was fine - I think it is actually starting that is the hardest part and now that I have begun my studies hopefully I will be fine! :biggrin:

Ahaa! I now plan on doing 6 units in May thanks to your advice and GottaLovePhysics'. The military-style work regime will be a must, I don't think a coffee farm will be enough! :redface:

Great - yes, those module choices are fine. I assume you're doing mechanics modules next year (unless you're a statistics freak and want to do S3 and S4, or just hate mechanics). Your choice anyway.
If your with Edexcel all you need are their books. With the work through solutions they have on the DVD you cant go wrong!
As before, if your UCL/Warwick material you will be able to do it. If you find you struggled and just got good grades in AS but not A2, then you can adjust your uni choices accordingly. If you have health circumstances be sure to look into special access programs etc.

Thanks for your reply dude, I ordered Core 1 and 2 from Amazon yesterday and got them this morning, thanks for recommending them :smile: I guess you're right - I have been looking at various threads on TSR and I've seen people say it took them no more than 2 weeks at most to complete most of the topics. Obviously I'm not saying I can definitely do that too but it does give me hope time-wise. I will look into the Special Access programs too, thanks!

Great - yes, those module choices are fine. I assume you're doing mechanics modules next year (unless you're a statistics freak and want to do S3 and S4, or just hate mechanics). Your choice anyway.

Hey Felamaslen,

Okay, great! Yep, I shall do mechanics next year as many people I've spoken to have said that S2 is easier than S1 so I might as well do both in the same year.
This is what my exam timetable looks like now:

A/S Maths: Core 1, Core 2, Decision 1
A/S Further Maths: Further Pure 1, Statistics 1, Statistics 2
A/S Economics: Markets in Action, The National & International Economy

A/2 Maths: Core 3, Core 4, Mechanics 1
A/2 Maths: Further Pure 2, Further Pure 3, Mechanics 2
A/2 Economics: Undecided.

I've been told that Further Pure 3 is very hard but I guess doing it will be very beneficial to my application! Thanks very much for your help! :biggrin:
Original post by Pollai
Thanks for your reply dude, I ordered Core 1 and 2 from Amazon yesterday and got them this morning, thanks for recommending them :smile: I guess you're right - I have been looking at various threads on TSR and I've seen people say it took them no more than 2 weeks at most to complete most of the topics. Obviously I'm not saying I can definitely do that too but it does give me hope time-wise. I will look into the Special Access programs too, thanks!

You can do it man. The topics you cover at A level may seem frustrating and trivial at times (although difficult) but remember when you get to university the interesting aspects of Maths blossom and by getting great grades in A level (and doing FP3 as well as FP2) you will have all the tools needed to access them.
[Also its good to get used to the hard work now because it will be challenging at uni. Well, first year may not be, but second and third sure will]

Quick Reply

Latest