The Student Room Group

Should i take supplements?

Hi everyone - my name says flygirl but its not her - im her brother and she asked me to use this to get information from fellow students as she was helped when she needed help too.

My question is on the topic of Gym - to cut the long story short in 2011 i used to go to the gym 4-5 days a week, and the 5th day was cardio day. I did that for about 6 months and i weighed 14 stone of pure muscle. Yes i looked good.

Then i went to abroad for two years (A year in Italy and a year in France), munched on loads of pizza, enjoyed my self for the whole of 2012. Came back to the UK for good last week and i'm 15stone of muscle + fat >> Mostly fat though

My arms still look a bit defined but my belly is gone - can't see my Abs just the outline of the top bit if that makes sense

I still have a bit of definition in my shoulder and i have MOOBS - Male tits.. not that big but they're coming on fast.

I have decided to join the gym and im wondering what to do - Should i take creatine? I know that creatine gives you mass but i don't need the mass - infact i can't afford to put more mass.. but creatine also gives you energy to work out longer :frown: and strength

I also know protein shake gives you mass too and i really dont want to get any bigger in terms of mass cos im already fattish - i basically look like a boxer than came out of retirement or something - you know someone who looks muscular but has more fat? if i wore a hoodie you would think i was muscular thanks to the definition in my arms but if i wore a vest or topless you'd see moobs and no Abs.

I've never been in this position before so what do i do ? No supplements? Do i even bother with lifting weights or straight cardio for a while?

Please let me know and i am very grateful for the help and advice i know i will get from y'all.

Thanks
W-what? Creatine and protein doesn't work like that.

You don't need generally supplements, it depends on you.

Protein- if you can fit in your daily protein needs with just food, good on you and a protein powder isn't necessary.

Creatine- never really tried it myself or researched it intensely but it won't 'give' you mass like you think it will. It's not some kind of magic legal synthetic hormone.

Fat burning supplements- any good fat burning substance is generally illegal. Don't even bother with them.

If your goal is just to lose weight then all you have to do is consume less calories or burn more than you expend, i.e. create a calorie deficit.

Personally I would recommend sticking to weights as well as cardiovascular exercises and a strict diet.
Reply 2
On a cold Friday afternoon, I had come home from school. I had been thinking of the gym all day. I was hungry, didn't have any lunch. In fact, I didn't eat because I spent the money. For the past month I was saving up for something. Something special which I bought at GNC. I was surprised they didn't ask for ID; I was pretty sure the cashier noticed how nervous I was. Anyways, my mom asked my how my day was when I got home, but I ignored her. I have more important things to do. I run to the bathroom and unpack my bag. In my school bag is a white plastic bag from GNC. I open the bag, first removing the receipt and flushing it down the toilet to get rid of the evidence. My heart was racing now. I unpack the creatine monster from the bag.

I wonder what people will be asking me when they see that I will be 50lbs heavier. Should I say I was just eating a lot? I remove the label from the tub and tear it into a thousand small pieces. I flush that down the toilet, too. It is time now. I run up to my room when my mom ask me what I am holding. I panic, sweat drips down my forehead and my teeth chatter. "Mom, it's just for a school project". "What project?" "I don't know mom I just started it!". A tear runs down my cheek. I run upstairs and open the creatine, scooping upservings into a clear water bottle. What have I gotten myself into? I fill it with water and drink it. There is no turning back now. The creatine monster is inside me now, it will control me. What should I do if I die? I cant let my family know about this.

I open the creatine tub and throw it all out the window; a white cloud of mysterious dust sparkles into the wind so graciously. I feel the substance taking control of me; I am now the monster. I walk downstairs, its time to work out; time to get big. Now I worry, I don't want to get too big; people will think I use steroids. I do use steroids. No I don't. Creatine. All I see is the weights now, I am almost downstairs when I hear "Do you want a cookie I just baked". I know I do not have time for this **** now. "No mom I do not want a cookie" I walk in the basement and drop to my knees before the weights, tears running down my cheeks. I turn to the right and look at myself in the mirror. Oh god, what have I done?
Original post by flygirl64
Hi everyone - my name says flygirl but its not her - im her brother and she asked me to use this to get information from fellow students as she was helped when she needed help too.

My question is on the topic of Gym - to cut the long story short in 2011 i used to go to the gym 4-5 days a week, and the 5th day was cardio day. I did that for about 6 months and i weighed 14 stone of pure muscle. Yes i looked good.

Then i went to abroad for two years (A year in Italy and a year in France), munched on loads of pizza, enjoyed my self for the whole of 2012. Came back to the UK for good last week and i'm 15stone of muscle + fat >> Mostly fat though

My arms still look a bit defined but my belly is gone - can't see my Abs just the outline of the top bit if that makes sense

I still have a bit of definition in my shoulder and i have MOOBS - Male tits.. not that big but they're coming on fast.

I have decided to join the gym and im wondering what to do - Should i take creatine? I know that creatine gives you mass but i don't need the mass - infact i can't afford to put more mass.. but creatine also gives you energy to work out longer :frown: and strength

I also know protein shake gives you mass too and i really dont want to get any bigger in terms of mass cos im already fattish - i basically look like a boxer than came out of retirement or something - you know someone who looks muscular but has more fat? if i wore a hoodie you would think i was muscular thanks to the definition in my arms but if i wore a vest or topless you'd see moobs and no Abs.

I've never been in this position before so what do i do ? No supplements? Do i even bother with lifting weights or straight cardio for a while?

Please let me know and i am very grateful for the help and advice i know i will get from y'all.

Thanks

yea, as one guy said already Diet and Cardio is what you need to focus on.

The title says "should i take supplements " so did you take supplements before?
and specific advice requires more detail, like your approximate age, how much you weighed before you started your 6 months of intense workouts? and what your diet was like before and during this 6 month period.

Reply 4
Hi guys

No i never took supplements before but i know people who did - like really skinny friends of mine who took Creatine got mass easily. Trust me creatine gives you mass. I know this.

I am 21 yrs old, before i started training i was 13 stone of lean muscle ish. i wasn't bodybuilder big but i was quite toned as i played football throught secondary and alevels. eg - i had a six pack and i didnt have man boobs.

Before the 6month period i had only had pizza twice in my entire life. And that was at birthday parties. After the 6month period i had pizza in italy every day for about 3 months.. thats where the balooning began.. then i cut down but i was still eating that **** like once a week. addicted much /?
Reply 5
Hi guys

No i never took supplements before but i know people who did - like really skinny friends of mine who took Creatine got mass easily. Trust me creatine gives you mass. I know this.

I am 21 yrs old, before i started training i was 13 stone of lean muscle ish. i wasn't bodybuilder big but i was quite toned as i played football throught secondary and alevels. eg - i had a six pack and i didnt have man boobs.

Before the 6month period i had only had pizza twice in my entire life. And that was at birthday parties. After the 6month period i had pizza in italy every day for about 3 months.. thats where the balooning began.. then i cut down but i was still eating that **** like once a week. addicted much /?

Actually creatine increases water retention within muscles allowing for more stamina. It's not true mass - its just water.

If you're looking to cut, no, there's no point in having creatine. You'd be better off with caffeine and CLA. Depending how seasoned you consider yourself, HMB may be worth a look as well. All have good solid evidence supporting them, especially CLA as that's used to treat human whales.
After 6 months training you werent big. No supplement can help your delusional disorder. Sorry bro keep lifting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
After 6 months you musta had lots of gainzzzzz and a 6 pack with great aesthetics, not sure what creatine you been smoking or what protein powder you been sniffing but back to the gym brah and learn to diet brah then you can get the steriods which are creatine and protein.

In all seriousness learn how to manage your diet.
Hi guys

ok,

first - just control your calorie intake keep it about 1500, a pizza a week is not a problem as long as you are not taking other snacks like crisps and biscuits.

now, if you just want to lose the weight, then just go on the treadmill until you are drowning in sweat- you should be done in 2 weeks

if you want to lose weight and stay hench then just bench and squat and a bit of treadmill. - this should take 4 weeks - again just do it till u cant do no more

i tried this with my room mate and it really worked for him, he lost like 4 stone in 2 months :wink:

also how much did you lift before, and how much can you lift now.

and you are concerned a lot about your upper body, what about your legs, what state are they in?
Original post by Mohid Khan
ok,

first - just control your calorie intake keep it about 1500, a pizza a week is not a problem as long as you are not taking other snacks like crisps and biscuits.

now, if you just want to lose the weight, then just go on the treadmill until you are drowning in sweat- you should be done in 2 weeks

if you want to lose weight and stay hench then just bench and squat and a bit of treadmill. - this should take 4 weeks - again just do it till u cant do no more

i tried this with my room mate and it really worked for him, he lost like 4 stone in 2 months :wink:

also how much did you lift before, and how much can you lift now.

and you are concerned a lot about your upper body, what about your legs, what state are they in?

mate

no
Original post by nopenopenope

no

Just shows that people's thoughts are reflected by their username :sexface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Hi guys

I?

sounds like something kids say creatine doesn't give mass, its results are temporary at best, largely water retention drawnin to the muscles ( which can help recovery a little actually) but as soon as you come off it, youll notice effects wear off. so uless you intended to stay on it for the rest fo your live- purely for the cosmetic use, I say why? Plus theres the still as yet un-ascertained long term affect on kidneys of excessive creatine intake - but id think it isn't too smart thing to be taking personally

Quick Reply

Latest