The Student Room Group

Why is Student Finance based on our parents income?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by day_dreamer
Exactly your an adult when it suits them. but when it doesn't suit, your a child again.

Indeed so, one of the most blatant examples of that that I can think of.
Reply 41
Original post by b0x3s
What does our household income have to do with anything? My parents can't help me out, I'm the one going to Uni and has to have the debt, how is that fair to assess on something out of our control? We should all be equal.

What's the reason for it?

I think its a little better than giving everyone the same amount as most people who are above the bracket still get loans but slightly smaller as their parents usually help them out. I couldn't afford to go to university without loans as my parents earn under 20,000. You can apply for a scholarship though which is also what i'm doing :smile:
Reply 42
My maintenance loan will be around 3,800. My accommodation will cost 4,800; if you budget wisely you can live off about 3,500. My parents said they'd try and help out. It's a trap for the middle working class. I'm trying to get a job in my gap year currently, I'm going to have to get one at uni aswell. Staying a live is going to be tough.

Then something else that annoys me; I want to be able to join clubs at uni, but those are going to cost money. And then on top of that buying healthy food and eating well is actually quite expensive.

Nothing's in my favour. I really don't think it's fair that we are judged on our parents income. I'm 18, I'm an adult.
Original post by b0x3s
What does our household income have to do with anything? My parents can't help me out, I'm the one going to Uni and has to have the debt, how is that fair to assess on something out of our control? We should all be equal.

What's the reason for it?

I realised I never actually answered your question.

The reason why SF asks about household is to decrease the amount of money given out. The government will say its to help those with a low income to go to uni. But I don't think the government really cares about those on low incomes going to uni.

No if your parents are 'average' or 'around average' earners then no it isn't 'fair'. The system that we have now means that the rich can afford university, the very poor get their university fees paid for and the people in the middle (the vast majority) are the ones that suffer.

Something I have always wondered is that if your parents are on a low income and you get a high amount of SF, don't you have to pay the loan portion of that back, ultimately meaning that someone who comes from a low financial background ends up with more SF debt by the end of the course compared to someone who comes from a higher financial background who wasn't eligible for so much money from SF. So even though the government is 'helping' those on low incomes to go to uni don't they end up with more debt?

I personal believe that your parents income should be taken into account. As they will USUALLY help their children out financially. But a portion of your SF should also look at other aspects of the course for example the amount of attendance hours required.
Because you live with your parents?
Sadly by the time I go to uni I will have been living by myself for 3+ years but SFE say they STILL have to take my mothers income into account because I stupidly threw my tenancy letters etc away (Like most 17/18 year olds would)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
As an 18 year old adult you have the choice what to do with your life, YOUR choice your parents don't legally have a say in it. From a parental point of view your 18 year old might become for example

A millionaire footballer
A burger flipper
A major recording artist
A married full time parent
An apprentice
A student

Should YOUR choice as an 18 year old forcibly impact on your parents? Is it fair that YOUR choice as a legal ADULT impacts on the rest of your family including any siblings you have? From the above list (which is by no means exhaustive of course) which would the Govt. expect your parents to stick their hands in their pockets to cover your expenses?

Repayable loans should (morally) be available universally to cover course fees and rent (to a uni/govt. approved landlord) plus maybe another £2.5k
Reply 46
Original post by Folion
As an 18 year old adult you have the choice what to do with your life, YOUR choice your parents don't legally have a say in it. From a parental point of view your 18 year old might become for example

A millionaire footballer
A burger flipper
A major recording artist
A married full time parent
An apprentice
A student

Should YOUR choice as an 18 year old forcibly impact on your parents? Is it fair that YOUR choice as a legal ADULT impacts on the rest of your family including any siblings you have? From the above list (which is by no means exhaustive of course) which would the Govt. expect your parents to stick their hands in their pockets to cover your expenses?

Repayable loans should (morally) be available universally to cover course fees and rent (to a uni/govt. approved landlord) plus maybe another £2.5k

Just because somebody is legally an adult because of their age, doesn't mean that their parents are now out of the equation.

How many 18 year olds currently applying to university courses currently live with their parents? Depends on their parents for food? Depends on their parents for clothes? Depend on their parents? The majority i would think. How many people do you know at university that live with their parents during the holidays, or how many stories have you heard of graduates having to live with their parents?

Your attitude towards an 18 year old now being a legal adult is quite ridiculous.
Reply 47
Original post by _Morsey_
Just because somebody is legally an adult because of their age, doesn't mean that their parents are now out of the equation.

How many 18 year olds currently applying to university courses currently live with their parents? Depends on their parents for food? Depends on their parents for clothes? Depend on their parents? The majority i would think. How many people do you know at university that live with their parents during the holidays, or how many stories have you heard of graduates having to live with their parents?

Your attitude towards an 18 year old now being a legal adult is quite ridiculous.

What about the 18 year olds who pay their parents rent?
Reply 48
Original post by ~Cat

I was merely pointing out that the majority of 18 year olds still depend on their parents in one way or another. 18 year olds that pay rent is not uncommon, however in my eyes it is a stepping stone by parents teaching them what the real world is going to be like, whereas from the stance of legality it is being made out that at 18 when you are now legally an adult, you are now entirely independent. When in most cases, in whatever form, that is simply not the case.
Original post by ~Cat

It's not the same.. Live on your own for a few years and you'll soon realise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by _Morsey_

My post is to a degree (excuse the pun) somewhat devil's advocate BUT as people have said further back in the thread the Govt. have a very selective attitude as to when it suits them to treat you as an independent adult and when not. Doing a degree is a choice that has consequences further reaching than just the student. Is it fair that choosing to do a degree can have an impact on, say, your siblings?
Reply 51
Yeah, I agree it's not the same.

I'm just trying to emphasise the fact that some parents really cant afford to contribute to university and in some cases, absolutely refuse to.

In cases like these, having the maintenance loan means tested makes it near impossible for the individual to afford uni. Forcing them into a gap year, like myself.

I agree with the OP; a lot of the middle working class are stuck in the middle. In saying this I don't know what the right solution would be, because I also agree that the poorer people do need more support.
Original post by ~Cat
Yeah, I agree it's not the same.

I'm just trying to emphasise the fact that some parents really cant afford to contribute to university and in some cases, absolutely refuse to.

In cases like these, having the maintenance loan means tested makes it near impossible for the individual to afford uni. Forcing them into a gap year, like myself.

I agree with the OP; a lot of the middle working class are stuck in the middle. In saying this I don't know what the right solution would be, because I also agree that the poorer people do need more support.

If they can't afford to then SFE will recognise that.. If they refuse then it really is time to get a job
Quite frankly I'm looking forward to uni because I'll be more financially stable due to the amount of bills that will either be lessened or removed entirely!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by Portia1993
If they can't afford to then SFE will recognise that.. If they refuse then it really is time to get a job
Quite frankly I'm looking forward to uni because I'll be more financially stable due to the amount of bills that will either be lessened or removed entirely!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I can see how it would benefit someone in your situation.
But for most accumulating an extra £5000 a year is going to be difficult. Particularly for students in their 3rd year, when having a part time job is tough
Original post by ~Cat
Yeah, I can see how it would benefit someone in your situation.
But for most accumulating an extra £5000 a year is going to be difficult. Particularly for students in their 3rd year, when having a part time job is tough

Most unis offer bursaries through their own financial departments & if people get part time jobs in their 1st and 2nd years and don't go out drinking etc then it shouldn't be overly difficult
I've worked out finances for a few different unis just to see how it'd work out and they're all doable :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Most unis offer bursaries through their own financial departments & if people get part time jobs in their 1st and 2nd years and don't go out drinking etc then it shouldn't be overly difficult
I've worked out finances for a few different unis just to see how it'd work out and they're all doable :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aren't a lot of the bursaries and grants only available to those who achieved certain grades, come from a less fortunate background, have a low income family etc though? The ones I've looked at seemed to fit this specification.

And I agree it's doable. Just.
But, compared to someone from an upper class or lower working class background, someone like me has been forced into taking a gap year, and will have to sacrifice far more at uni just to stay a float. I want to join clubs, and I would like to go out drinking. But will my lack of funds stop me from getting the most out of uni? I suppose I'll find out :P
The government are idiots, the UK gives loans to EU citizens to study in the UK but the same isn't given to those wanting to study in European countries. In the end, a large chunk of EU students go back to their countries and fail to repay their loans, but as usual British students are the ones who are expected to comply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So to survive Uni, you have to give up your social life and not drink?
Reply 58
Original post by Olympiad
Maybe it's due to the fact that I'm in a private school - some of my friends have had their grandparents/parents pay their entire student fees within their first year, which I find annoying.

Actually, university tuition fees are probably the most level part of the playing field. If you're eligible for Student Finance, then you get your fees paid in full via the Tuition Fee Loan. You will never have to contribute to tuition fees unless you in some way fail to meet the SF criteria. Given that the loan repayment terms are pretty favourable, they're not really the issue.

The big problem comes with Maintenance Loans/Grants, where some people are left with insufficient money for basics such as food and rent. That's where the lack of a parental contribution can sometimes make the difference between continuing and having to give up.
Original post by mariocasas
So to survive Uni, you have to give up your social life and not drink?

I just find it pathetic how many students complain that they're broke and their Facebook etc is full of photos of them out drinking
There's more to life than alcohol - a heck of a lot more

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending