The Student Room Group

Why is Student Finance based on our parents income?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Folion
You do realise there are people going to uni driving around in big 4x4s receiving maximum funding, loans, grants etc? Their parents can afford very good accountants essentially they are abusing the system in the spirit it is intended although not necessarily the letter of the law.

There are people like that in all walks of life though - knowing how to play the system isn't specific to SF. Doubtless your 4x4 drivers' parents will also be paying less tax than they ought to.

People play the tax system, the benefits system, the NHS... It isn't fair but it is a fact of life.
Original post by b0x3s
what does our household income have to do with anything? My parents can't help me out, i'm the one going to uni and has to have the debt, how is that fair to assess on something out of our control? We should all be equal.

What's the reason for it?

the story of my life!!!!
Reply 82
Original post by Klix88
There are people like that in all walks of life though - knowing how to play the system isn't specific to SF. Doubtless your 4x4 drivers' parents will also be paying less tax than they ought to.

People play the tax system, the benefits system, the NHS... It isn't fair but it is a fact of life.

Essentially it is the offspring of the honest who are punished in this way.

On top of this there are so many permutations of family set ups, step relatives and so forth that it means we end up with anything but a reasonably consistent and fair system, it's a mess.
If you won't get enough support from SFE or parents,then you'll have to go to a university which is a commutable distance away. Simples.
Original post by Folion
Essentially it is the offspring of the honest who are punished in this way.

On top of this there are so many permutations of family set ups, step relatives and so forth that it means we end up with anything but a reasonably consistent and fair system, it's a mess.

"Anything but" is a bit of a stretch, rare isolated cases that are tough to deal with hardly ruin the entire system.
Reply 85
Original post by Pterodactyl
"Anything but" is a bit of a stretch, rare isolated cases that are tough to deal with hardly ruin the entire system.

Anything but rare and isolated in my experience and from people that my student sons know. I wasn't exaggerating when I was talking about 4x4s by the way at the uni my eldest went to the car park was full of them. I do agree if it was very rare it would be better.
I agree. Its a completely silly system which doesn't take into account that some people's parents, despite living with them/not being legally separated from the other, might not be willing to contribute to their child's education. My dad is not legally separated from my mum, we're having a nightmare applying for student finance because we can't prove separation.

On the other hand, my cousin's parents are legally separated, he lives with his mum who doesn't work. His dad earns an absolute ton of money and pays for his sons to go to private school WITH HIS BONUS. He earns so much and yet because his sons live down the road from him rather than with him, they will be eligible for student finance.

It's a ridiculous system and makes me so angry.
Original post by b0x3s
We should all be equal.

What's the reason for it?

Your sig contradicts what you say.
I know this is an old post although I am currently in the same situation my parents combined earn £120k a year although they're expenditure is extremely high due to financial drains leaving me with the minimum loan from SF although due to my parents having an extremely high expenditure they cannot support me and so I'm stuck to live at home going to the nearest university regardless of what grades I get (For context: The nearest university isn't a great one and I could easily get into a better one although once again, I cannot afford to move out from my home and into student accomodation)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending