The Student Room Group

Insurance choice help for Psychology?

I have offers from Queen Mary, Southampton and Kent that I'm considering for my insurance choice.

Queen Mary: IB requirement 34 with scholarship offer of 2000 pounds per annum and possible increase to 5000 in second year
Kent: IB requirement 34 with scholarship offer at 35 IB points of 2000ppa
Southampton: IB requirement 34, no scholarship offer because not firm choice

I've pretty much decided on Warwick (36 IB points) as my firm (though opinions on this would be nice) but am really having trouble deciding on a good insurance. I have an offer from Reading as well for 35 IB points but thought that putting that as my insurance was a bit risky. Some input would be really appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Congrats on the offers!

I'm a big believer in going to a university you like and are comfortable with, you will be spending the next 3/4 years of your life there and you don't want, what are arguably the best years of your life to be crap because you don't like the uni. This is why I personally would choose an insurance uni based firstly on how I feel about living there for the next 3 or so years, and then everything else second

I agree that making Reading as your insurance is a bit risky, you don't want to be left without any cards to play if something doesn't go to plan this year. Perhaps excluding Southampton if you really need a scholarship would make it far simpler to choose.

If I was you I'd choose Queen Mary -

-Firstly, because I absolutely love London so I could see myself going uni there
- Secondly, because getting 5K a year sounds pretty sweet :colondollar:
- Thirdly, because if I do screw up my exams then chances are I won't lose
Just one IB point, so QM is the sensible option because I get the much needed
scholarship with a lower entry requirement

Just my two pence

Hope I helped
Reply 2
Original post by ZackHa
Congrats on the offers!

I'm a big believer in going to a university you like and are comfortable with, you will be spending the next 3/4 years of your life there and you don't want, what are arguably the best years of your life to be crap because you don't like the uni. This is why I personally would choose an insurance uni based firstly on how I feel about living there for the next 3 or so years, and then everything else second

I agree that making Reading as your insurance is a bit risky, you don't want to be left without any cards to play if something doesn't go to plan this year. Perhaps excluding Southampton if you really need a scholarship would make it far simpler to choose.

If I was you I'd choose Queen Mary -

-Firstly, because I absolutely love London so I could see myself going uni there
- Secondly, because getting 5K a year sounds pretty sweet :colondollar:
- Thirdly, because if I do screw up my exams then chances are I won't lose
Just one IB point, so QM is the sensible option because I get the much needed
scholarship with a lower entry requirement

Just my two pence

Hope I helped

Thanks!! That was really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest