The Student Room Group

Diet for very fussy eater?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by infairverona
Sometimes fussy eaters need tough love. Not eating enough fruit and veg is unhealthy and you can easily go a long time without worrying about it that much. OP has recognised they need to change how they eat and I am entitled to my opinion that fussy eating is, in the majority of cases, a cop out and not a serious issue. I always thought I would never be able to eat bananas and vegetables because they always made me sick and now I can eat them, no doctor fixed me it's just a case of putting in the hard work for some people. Seeing as you also don't know any extra details about OPs situation than I do, your opinion is of no higher value than mine. Seeing as I have managed to solve my issues, I am offering my opinion to OP because it might work for her.

Guess depressed people just need to cheer up? Anorexics should just eat more? Tough love rarely works and just makes people feel ****
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Guess depressed people just need to cheer up? Anorexics should just eat more? Tough love rarely works and just makes people feel ****

Completely moronic to compare fussy eating to genuine mental illnesses.
Completely moronic to compare fussy eating to genuine mental illnesses.

Why? It caused me so many issues when I was younger and made my depression and anxiety so much worse
Why? It caused me so many issues when I was younger and made my depression and anxiety so much worse

If it made them worse presumably you already had these issues and fussy eating was just an aggravating factor. Not a cause. Fussy eating is not a mental illness. Lots of people are fussy with food without suffering much from it mentally.
Sometimes fussy eaters need tough love. Not eating enough fruit and veg is unhealthy and you can easily go a long time without worrying about it that much. OP has recognised they need to change how they eat and I am entitled to my opinion that fussy eating is, in the majority of cases, a cop out and not a serious issue. I always thought I would never be able to eat bananas and vegetables because they always made me sick and now I can eat them, no doctor fixed me it's just a case of putting in the hard work for some people. Seeing as you also don't know any extra details about OPs situation than I do, your opinion is of no higher value than mine. Seeing as I have managed to solve my issues, I am offering my opinion to OP because it might work for her.

There is a difference between 'tough love' and just being plain dismissive to someone who is clearly trying to change their attitude to food.
If it made them worse presumably you already had these issues and fussy eating was just an aggravating factor. Not a cause. Fussy eating is not a mental illness. Lots of people are fussy with food without suffering much from it mentally.

Yes but for some of us who have it badly, it can be. Lots of people get sad and are fine, some have depression. Same principle
Original post by addylad
There is a difference between 'tough love' and just being plain dismissive to someone who is clearly trying to change their attitude to food.

I was hardly dismissive. In fact I have offered the most useful advice on this thread as far as I can see.

Yes but for some of us who have it badly, it can be. Lots of people get sad and are fine, some have depression. Same principle

This is escalating beyond a level I'm interested in. Not everyone who is fussy with food has depression or anxiety, you are now generalising despite accusing me of doing that with my own experiences in previous posts. OP has not said she has anxiety or depression. Until she does, my comments and advice in my original post stand.
I'm not a 'fussy' eater but I don't like making complicated meals. Usually plain chicken breast, potato, cucumber and beetroot. I snack on raw carrots and low fat yoghurt.
I was hardly dismissive. In fact I have offered the most useful advice on this thread as far as I can see.

This is escalating beyond a level I'm interested in. Not everyone who is fussy with food has depression or anxiety, you are now generalising despite accusing me of doing that with my own experiences in previous posts. OP has not said she has anxiety or depression. Until she does, my comments and advice in my original post stand.

I'm not saying OP does have those things, merely that you don't know and shouldn't be so rude
I'm not saying OP does have those things, merely that you don't know and shouldn't be so rude

You know no more than I do and have been equally as rude. Take your own advice. Not everyone has some big mental issue with it, just because you do doesn't mean everyone does.
You know no more than I do and have been equally as rude. Take your own advice. Not everyone has some big mental issue with it, just because you do doesn't mean everyone does.

I haven't been rude, just pointed out saying "it's a cop out" is ignorant and rude.
I haven't been rude, just pointed out saying "it's a cop out" is ignorant and rude.

In your opinion. I think it's a cop out and I am entitled to that opinion.
In your opinion. I think it's a cop out and I am entitled to that opinion.

Dismissing people who have genuine problems. That doesn't make you a nice person I'm afriad

The first line of your first post:
Being a fussy eater is a cop out.

And I wouldn't expect you to think any less of your own advice, given your attitude so far.

You have already generalised about people who struggle to eat a healthy/balanced/varied diet. The truth is that we still don't understand how these things work - it could be upbringing, possibly an allergy which has put someone off a particular food group altogether, something like Aspergers. You can't simply say, 'because I don't know all the facts my advice is correct'. What you should be saying is, 'we need more information,' or directing the OP to the appropriate place.
Dismissing people who have genuine problems. That doesn't make you a nice person I'm afriad

It's not a genuine problem as far as we know it's just fussy eating. You were extremely dismissive of the fact that I have been able to get over my fussy eating, I guess people like you just enjoy making a big song and dance about everything, wanting people's pity and not really bothering to try and help yourself. OP took a step forward by posting on this thread that she is trying to change how fussy she is. As someone who has successfully solved my fussy eating issues I offered her advice about what worked for me. As far as I can see, all you have done is come in and say you haven't resolved your eating issues. How is this helpful to someone who is actively trying to help herself? It isn't at all. I have no interest in carrying this conversation on, come back when you've anything useful to add.
Original post by addylad
The first line of your first post:
Being a fussy eater is a cop out.

And I wouldn't expect you to think any less of your own advice, given your attitude so far.

You have already generalised about people who struggle to eat a healthy/balanced/varied diet. The truth is that we still don't understand how these things work - it could be upbringing, possibly an allergy which has put someone off a particular food group altogether, something like Aspergers. You can't simply say, 'because I don't know all the facts my advice is correct'. What you should be saying is, 'we need more information,' or directing the OP to the appropriate place.

I didn't eat fruit or veg for 16 years. I solved it without a doctor's help. I offered OP advice about what worked for me. It's as simple as that, I think fussy eating is a cop out if it's not a more serious problem. Mine was a cop out and I'm not the first or last, plenty of people are fussy and grow out of it. I don't indulge in this pandering to people who think their problems are more serious than they are. If OP just is fussy with food, the things I suggested like having yogurt on top of fruit and covering the taste of veg with oil/butter/herbs and spices until you can bear it will be very useful to her. I didn't say my advice was correct, I said it worked FOR ME and therefore MIGHT work for someone else in the same position. I imagine OP would have said if she had any underlying mental issues as her post was quite detailed.
It's not a genuine problem as far as we know it's just fussy eating. You were extremely dismissive of the fact that I have been able to get over my fussy eating, I guess people like you just enjoy making a big song and dance about everything, wanting people's pity and not really bothering to try and help yourself. OP took a step forward by posting on this thread that she is trying to change how fussy she is. As someone who has successfully solved my fussy eating issues I offered her advice about what worked for me. As far as I can see, all you have done is come in and say you haven't resolved your eating issues. How is this helpful to someone who is actively trying to help herself? It isn't at all. I have no interest in carrying this conversation on, come back when you've anything useful to add.

Fussy eating itself is a genuine problem

I don't want pity and how is seeing various experts not trying to help myself?

I posted what I eat, which is healthy and fits the OPs need. Much better th your condescending patronising rant.
Reply 37
So do you, quite clearly. If you have an actual mental issue with it that's distinguishable from OP who has not said anything about seeing experts about it. Just that they are a fussy eater, which is what I was, and I offered my advice as a former fussy eater who did not have to see experts. Your experience is obviously different if you have a medical issue with the food. People who were in my position, as it sounds like OP is, it's a cop out.

Rejecting a particular food on the sole basis of its having come into contact with another, equally solid food despite finding neither essentially unpalatable is the very definition of a psychological complex, however potentially innocuous or benign.

Ultimately, the difference between a manageable eccentricity and a psychiatric disorder, pervasive 'mental issue' or other, similarly diagnosable maladaptive trait is pretty much one of degree, qualified by reference to individual circumstance and contextual factors which would naturally preclude such an absolute distinction as you posit here.

(Kudos, though, for successfully thwarting your own affliction.)
(edited 10 years ago)
If you haven't already tried yoghurt then I'd recommend it. It's plain, it's good for you and you can get low fat versions. Just by trying to expand your diet you've taken a big step, so well done! Best of luck with everything.
Reply 39
Thanks for everyone's advice and suggestions, keep them coming, and good to see I'm not the only one. :biggrin:

To answer a few people that are accusing me of being childish or having a cop out, I'd like to explain why I eat the way I do.
When I was very young I use to eat everything and anything. Unfortunately when I was around 5/6 or so, I developed a very severe case of gastroenteritous. I lost half of my body weight through vomiting, and wasn't even able to keep water down without it coming back up. (being a very small child anyway this was dangerous). Obviously I had to go to the hospital, where I was kept for a long time, and refused to eat anything. The illness had gone but being so young I just connected any food with a painful experience. Because I wasn't eating, I had to be force fed. The doctors and nurses, or my mum and dad, had to pin me down and put food in my mouth, kicking and screaming, and particularly in the earlier stages, hold my mouth closed when I chewed. That is when (based on common sense) my food phobia developed. I know it happened a long time ago, but when I was younger trying new food was a very frightening experience. I lived on plain hotdogs and toast. for about a year and I outright refused in front of new people. To this day, even nibbling on a taste I'm not familiar with is nerve wracking, especially because if I don't like it, my body just physically will not let me swallow it and/ or I end up gagging loudly or vomiting. It's not something I can control.

This is why mushy foods like mashed potato are especially hard, or anything with a slimy texture. As for the vegetables, who knows if that's got anything to do with it. My dad was less than understanding and used to blend vegetables and hold the spoon in my mouth, clamping my jaw shut, until I swallowed, even when the illness had gone away.

Sorry if this sounds overly smushy or woe-is-me, not trying to come across like that. It's just that for some of us, new food or certain things happening with food is something that can be genuinely a big deal, and I really, really am trying to get over it and expand what I eat, I'd just rather not rush in to it :smile:

Oh, and infair, I didn't mention this at the start as I was just looking for some advice and guidance, and didn't want to turn this in to a therapy session :P
Original post by dreadpiraterach
x

x

x
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest