The Student Room Group

Blue Screen of Death

Hi
This is for all you computer geniuses out there - which is everybody compared to me!
My Windows Vista computer randomly pops up with the Blue Screen of Death.
Now I have looked at some of the common causes and uninstalled any software that I have recently downloaded and I have also cleaned out the vents with compressed air cans to stop it from overheating.
Now since I have done this it has not appeared again but I was just wondering, what other problems can cause the blue screen and what is Windows Safe Mode?

Thank you in advance!
Reply 1
I'm not a genius but have read a lot because I've been having BOD issues before but now they have stopped. I believe it's either of corrupted driver or recently installed software. In my case, BOD was after I've installed free version of Adobe Photoshop. After doing system restore and reverting back to the date before installation, no BOD at all.

You can make so that after BOD, your pc doesn't restart automatically and you could see the issue why you are receiving BOD. I believe you can do so once your pc turns on, you press F corresponding key and go somewhere into the settings to enable manual restart rather than automatic one.

Safe Mode means it's safe to do something you need and doesn't really affect or damage anything. But's it's limited and you can't do many things in safe mode.
I'll move this to Technology and Computers for you :smile:
If your computer fails to shut down successfully, you should automatically get an option to "Start in Safe Mode"
Alternatively, press F8 as the computer boots up to load up "Safe Mode". Safe Mode is essentially a mode with only essential programs running, which can help you diagnose faults in the programs.

As for what causes BSOD, anything from overheating components, blocked air vents, program errors, viruses, the list goes on. For a specific error, Google the code that comes up, and then see what advice you receive.
Original post by cupcakes87
Hi
This is for all you computer geniuses out there - which is everybody compared to me!
My Windows Vista computer randomly pops up with the Blue Screen of Death.
Now I have looked at some of the common causes and uninstalled any software that I have recently downloaded and I have also cleaned out the vents with compressed air cans to stop it from overheating.
Now since I have done this it has not appeared again but I was just wondering, what other problems can cause the blue screen and what is Windows Safe Mode?

Thank you in advance!

You don't need to try random solutions, the BSOD will give you a phrase and stop code to tell you what's (approximately) wrong. You can set it so that your computer freezes on the BSOD when it occurs instead of immediately switching off, then you can photograph it / write down the details, and look up what's wrong :smile:
Reply 5
One reason why I like Windows 8 - it gives you a more human readable error code, so you can get a general idea at first glance as to what the issue is.
If you keep getting a blue screen of death, the best thing to do would be to go into safemode and try and go back to an older version of the system, one in which you know you never had the blue screen of death.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending