The Student Room Group

Reapplying

Hey, I just got rejected for the E&M course. However. The feedback specified that I was just borderline to getting an offer. I'd appreciate if people who know a bit more about the process could lend some advice:

- I want to reapply for the same college. Thoughts? I would do this the coming Autumn.
- Is starting a university programe in mathematics in the meanwhile a good idea?
- Will my grades from that programes' first year matter? If not, I'd like to attempt skipping the first year since IB's mathematics HL has put me lightyears ahead compared to the other Swedish students. I would also like to take extra courses in E&M such as game theory at the uni. This workload would force me tipo rush through most things, and so I wouldn't get the top grades.
- Any other tips?

lastly, there were several things that I've done which I never told the tutors. These were; read 20+ books in E&M excluding coursebooks, started an E&M blog, wrote an interactive coursebook for the IB's economics course, elected to represent Sweden at a business conference in Bratislava, etc.
Considering how marginal my rejection was, is there any point in contacting the tutors about these things? Since the rejection won't be filed to UCAS before February, I figured it might not be completely final. On top of this they told us that under unusual circumstances, a fourth spot instead of the usual three would be offered at the college.

Help please :s
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by oskarbirol
Hey, I just got rejected for the E&M course. However. The feedback specified that I was just borderline to getting an offer. I'd appreciate if people who know a bit more about the process could lend some advice:

- I want to reapply for the same college. Thoughts? I would do this the coming Autumn.
- Is starting a university programe in mathematics in the meanwhile a good idea?
- Will my grades from that programes' first year matter? If not, I'd like to attempt skipping the first year since IB's mathematics HL has put me lightyears ahead compared to the other Swedish students. I would also like to take extra courses in E&M such as game theory at the uni. This workload would force me tipo rush through most things, and so I wouldn't get the top grades.
- Any other tips?

lastly, there were several things that I've done which I never told the tutors. These were; read 20+ books in E&M excluding coursebooks, started an E&M blog, wrote an interactive coursebook for the IB's economics course, elected to represent Sweden at a business conference in Bratislava, etc.
Considering how marginal my rejection was, is there any point in contacting the tutors about these things? Since the rejection won't be filed to UCAS before February, I figured it might not be completely final. On top of this they told us that under unusual circumstances, a fourth spot instead of the usual three would be offered at the college.

Help please :s

In answer to whether telling them all those things will make them change their mind, it won't. I'm sorry to say but their decisions are final and so they won't give you an offer even if you bring to their attention your extra curriculars.

In relation to reapplying, just make sure you have a back up plan because you can still get rejected from Oxford twice so you need to make sure the year isn't wasted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending