The Student Room Group

Punching above my weight?

Hi all, I'm currently resitting my GCSEs as a mature student (I'm 24) with the intention of taking an access course in September (I'll be 25). I'm doing well and I'm getting A* in every practice paper, I come prepared to lessons and I really enjoy the classes, particularly physics.
They have already forewarned us that we will be completing our UCAS applications early in the course, so I've started looking at universities. I'm interested in studying natural science at leicester because the teaching styles suit me, I like the look of the modules and and it's close enough to my home in Cambridgeshire that I wouldn't have to move (I have a 6 year old child so moving isn't a possibility).

Because I have to stay here there are a limited number of uni's I can go too realistically. I find physics fascinating and I spend a lot of my spare time reading up on the subjects we've covered in class so I have a better understanding of it. But because my choices are limited I'm wondering whether I should chose a less competitive subject to study where higher grades aren't as common, such as nursing? Especially as Anglian ruskin have a building here specifically for it that I wouldn't have to commute. I should make it clear that I'm not suggesting nursing is an easy subject, more that most of my current class who will be applying there are getting C grades and I would stand a better chance with A* grades. It would also lead to a career from the undergraduate degree where as the physics would need further study to do research which is what i currently want to do.

Im torn between what I want to do because I find it interesting, and what I feel I should do because it's the easier option for me :-( I know this might sound convoluted, but as a single parent in my mid twenties I only really have one shot at this, and I need to make the right decision. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated x
(edited 10 years ago)
I always believe in following your heart. Your grades sound really positive and you are clearly putting in the work. Aim high!
I took a massive risk and applied to Cambridge - I subsequently have an offer - 6 months ago I would have laughed at myself if I was told I would be in this position!

Always aim high! You only get to live this life once (probably)
Reply 2
Wow congratulations on the offer from Cambridge! And thank you for that, when I got a prospectus through and read through the student blogs I thought I'd made up my mind but I constantly question myself, but I suppose that's one of the things that pushes me to do better. I know I can always do better, and I don't rest on my previous grades. I've just got to remember to go for what I want. It's nerve wracking though going for such a competitive and difficult subject.
I think you should go for natural sciences at Leicester. They specifically mention Access on their nat sci page: "Pass full diploma with a substantial number of credits at Distinction in science subjects at level 3." That's achievable for someone getting A*s at GCSE. Natural sciences also has the advantage of flexibility. If you find the physics is too brain-achey, there are plenty of other pathways, and plenty of career options too. Good luck.
Reply 4
Nursing is extremely competitive, so probally not the best idea.
Reply 5
Do what you have a passion for. If its physics, go for physics. Im first year physics at durham, best decision i ever made! Degrees are really hard so you have to have a passion for the subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by MkGuy
Nursing is extremely competitive, so probally not the best idea.

I think I'd stand a good chance of getting on a nursing degree, I'm only 24 but I have 4 years experience as a HCA in both a care home and the community, and I have specific training for tracheostomy, mental health and peg feeds. I've also volunteered for a disabled children's charity for over 2 years, and I'm an A* student. So though it is competitive, I think I would stand a good chance.
Reply 7
But if its not your passion why do it? Go for what you love. If you're not successful you can always think about other options

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by J.ems
Hi all, I'm currently resitting my GCSEs as a mature student (I'm 24) with the intention of taking an access course in September (I'll be 25). I'm doing well and I'm getting A* in every practice paper, I come prepared to lessons and I really enjoy the classes, particularly physics.
They have already forewarned us that we will be completing our UCAS applications early in the course, so I've started looking at universities. I'm interested in studying natural science at leicester because the teaching styles suit me, I like the look of the modules and and it's close enough to my home in Cambridgeshire that I wouldn't have to move (I have a 6 year old child so moving isn't a possibility).

Because I have to stay here there are a limited number of uni's I can go too realistically. I find physics fascinating and I spend a lot of my spare time reading up on the subjects we've covered in class so I have a better understanding of it. But because my choices are limited I'm wondering whether I should chose a less competitive subject to study where higher grades aren't as common, such as nursing? Especially as Anglian ruskin have a building here specifically for it that I wouldn't have to commute. I should make it clear that I'm not suggesting nursing is an easy subject, more that most of my current class who will be applying there are getting C grades and I would stand a better chance with A* grades. It would also lead to a career from the undergraduate degree where as the physics would need further study to do research which is what i currently want to do.

Im torn between what I want to do because I find it interesting, and what I feel I should do because it's the easier option for me :-( I know this might sound convoluted, but as a single parent in my mid twenties I only really have one shot at this, and I need to make the right decision. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated x

Go for the course that you are really interested in as the course you find the most interesting will actually be the one you do best at because you will be more motivated to read around the subject. Try and get a course with a work placement to make relevant professional networks and whatever happens you should do fine.
You are doing amazingly, I entered my Access course without a GCSE to my name, and you will be going into them with A*'s that is amazing. Where I live there is literally only two uni's I could have went to without moving quite far and even now they are still 1-2 hours journey, but it is worth it for me. You sound really prepared, I was nowhere near this prepared when I was going, in fact I blindly picked some of my UCAS subjects. You should follow your heart with some choices, but maybe choose 1 back up also, if that makes you feel more confident, I'm sure you will be fine regardless and will get the place. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending