The Student Room Group

No idea? Please help

I have received a conditional offer to study at Newcastle University starting September 2014 I'm extremely excited but I have no idea at all about finance.

According to the university's website I'm entitled too.

Living cost loan - £3862
Maintenance grant - £3387
Total - £7249

Now I don't understand this, when will I get this money? Will I get it each year? How do I apply?

I'm attempting to add up how much everything will be and what I would be left with weekly/monthly after accommodation costs so help would be much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go to Yougov on the internet and search student funding.

You will find everything you need to know there.
Original post by Dp12081994
I have received a conditional offer to study at Newcastle University starting September 2014 I'm extremely excited but I have no idea at all about finance.

According to the university's website I'm entitled too.

Living cost loan - £3862
Maintenance grant - £3387
Total - £7249

Now I don't understand this, when will I get this money? Will I get it each year? How do I apply?

I'm attempting to add up how much everything will be and what I would be left with weekly/monthly after accommodation costs so help would be much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The total, £7249, you receive per year. You receive this in three instalments into your bank account. The first one comes a few days after you university confirms your attendance, which is usually after you enrol / after lectures start.

The second one you usually get in Jan, then the third is usually in April (depending on your term dates). You can apply on Monday.

It is a good idea to look at accommodation costs etc and work out a budget of how much you will have left each week.

Also, for accommodation you may be required to pay a deposit to confirm your room. This would be paid before you even start University. You should also start some savings so you have some money for the first couple of weeks, incase your loans don't come in on time.

Quick Reply

Latest