The Student Room Group

Is Advanced Higher Maths worth doing?

Can anyone help me with this i'm thinking of doing Advanced Maths next year and want to do Maths at Uni, but here's the problem i would have to move school to do it, is it worth doing. I want to do it but i don't want to move in 6th year. Is it worth me moving school to do it i know its not necessary for University but it would be helpful. What would be the best thing for me to do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you get the chance to do it, I would. I enjoy it plus if you want to do maths at uni then it will be very helpful :tongue:

It's also a bit easier than other advanced highers imo!
Reply 2
Thanks i do really want to do it i was just a bit unsure about having to completely change schools to do it
Original post by RyanKerr
Can anyone help me with this i'm thinking of doing Advanced Maths next year and want to do Maths at Uni, but here's the problem i would have to move school to do it, is it worth doing. I want to do it but i don't want to move in 6th year. Is it worth me moving school to do it i know its not necessary for University but it would be helpful. What would be the best thing for me to do?

Do you really have to move school ? I'm very surprised your teachers won't let you self study and or just go that that school for Maths lessons, are you in the middle of nowhere ?
Reply 4
Original post by Bromaldehyde
Do you really have to move school ? I'm very surprised your teachers won't let you self study and or just go that that school for Maths lessons, are you in the middle of nowhere ?

i 100% sure that ill have to move school for it as i would probably be the only one who actually wanted to do it my school is quite small etc and no one would be able to teach me it
i 100% sure that ill have to move school for it as i would probably be the only one who actually wanted to do it my school is quite small etc and no one would be able to teach me it

I think what he was meaning was that in most circumstances, if you want to study a particular higher or advanced higher but it's not offered due to lack of teachers/lack of interested pupils then you'd normally be able to travel to another school within your local authority which does that subject for the periods that that subject runs. You could ask your guidance teacher about this, they'd probably have more information
Reply 6
Original post by greenladybird
I think what he was meaning was that in most circumstances, if you want to study a particular higher or advanced higher but it's not offered due to lack of teachers/lack of interested pupils then you'd normally be able to travel to another school within your local authority which does that subject for the periods that that subject runs. You could ask your guidance teacher about this, they'd probably have more information

i'm not sure about that at all as far as i'm aware i would have to move school completely my maths teacher told me that it has happened before and the person has had to move school and i think there wouldn't be any point in going to a different school just for a few periods a week i'm not sure at all. There are 4 or 5 schools within about a 2 mile radius from where i live so moving wouldn't be a problem in that sense and moving school would probably make sense rather than going to a school for just my Maths periods
i'm not sure about that at all as far as i'm aware i would have to move school completely my maths teacher told me that it has happened before and the person has had to move school and i think there wouldn't be any point in going to a different school just for a few periods a week i'm not sure at all. There are 4 or 5 schools within about a 2 mile radius from where i live so moving wouldn't be a problem in that sense and moving school would probably make sense rather than going to a school for just my Maths periods

Why not just self study? Like actually tell your head teacher that you're going to do it and force them to find a teacher you can go to once or twice a week to get work/help. It is their job to meet your academic needs, so if you want somethinga subject to help you with the course that you want to do the school must help you. Trust me, I managed to get the columns changed just to fit my Adv Higher choices
Reply 8
Original post by Pennyarcade
Why not just self study? Like actually tell your head teacher that you're going to do it and force them to find a teacher you can go to once or twice a week to get work/help. It is their job to meet your academic needs, so if you want somethinga subject to help you with the course that you want to do the school must help you. Trust me, I managed to get the columns changed just to fit my Adv Higher choices

There's a few reasons why that couldn't happen first I don't think that I could teach myself the entire course I don't think I would be allowed no teachers in my school will have any time to help me (small school only 5 maths teachers) who would all have classes when I have maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Pennyarcade
Why not just self study?

Easier said than done. Self studying an advanced higher would be extremely hard and time-consuming. You would have to have real motivation to do it :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by CSM1996
Easier said than done. Self studying an advanced higher would be extremely hard and time-consuming. You would have to have real motivation to do it :tongue:

Exactly I don't think I could do it would be far to difficult to learn the full course on my own

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm self-studying adv higher maths too! Download the scholar 'textbooks'; some secondary schools have uploaded them onto the Internet :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Apologetic Cube
You would be surprised. Maths is probably the easiest subject to self-teach in that you can learn the material entirely from a textbook.

I'm self-teaching AH Applied Maths this year, as well as being taught AH Maths, and I've much preferred having the freedom, with Applied Maths, to go through the course at my own pace. I can spend more time on difficult topics and race through the easier topics; something that can't exactly be said for the work we do in class. I was actually able to finish the Applied Maths course by late November this year because there were no confinements as to what work I was expected to do each week. Granted, there are only two units in Applied Maths, but I still got through it substantially quicker than one could expect to do so in class.

If you're intent on studying mathematics at university, I'd definitely recommend studying AH Maths. Where are you thinking of applying? For some universities, an A at AH Maths will be the prerequisite for entry. If you can self-teach, I'd definitely take it into consideration. You'll improve immeasurably and start thinking like a mathematician and asking why the mathematics works; not just splurging out methods like they teach you to do in class.

But, at the end of the day, you're not up for studying the course independently, then just go ahead with the other arrangements. I don't see what the big deal is, to be honest, loads of people go to other schools to do AH courses.
i am intent on doing Maths at Uni and i know that AH Maths would help me get into Uni. However about the self teach thing i highly doubt my school would let me even if i wanted to do it and moving would be the only option because it's certain that there wont be an AH class in the school as there is only about 10 5th years doing Higher now and it would only be me and maybe one other who picked it. I don't think i could self teach it and it is highly unlikely that i will be allowed to if i wanted to
Reply 13
Original post by CharlieTH
I'm self-studying adv higher maths too! Download the scholar 'textbooks'; some secondary schools have uploaded them onto the Internet :smile:

We hope that your self-studying is going well, but please bear in mind that the SCHOLAR PDFs that some schools may have chosen to upload are likely to be rather out of date so you would do better to login to SCHOLAR itself, which also gives you the benefit of being able to use our interactivities, the end of unit assessments and an extensive revision package. Nearly all pupils in Scotland have access to SCHOLAR so if you don't yet have your username and password then please ask a teacher or enquire at the school office.
Original post by SCHOLARuk
We hope that your self-studying is going well, but please bear in mind that the SCHOLAR PDFs that some schools may have chosen to upload are likely to be rather out of date so you would do better to login to SCHOLAR itself, which also gives you the benefit of being able to use our interactivities, the end of unit assessments and an extensive revision package. Nearly all pupils in Scotland have access to SCHOLAR so if you don't yet have your username and password then please ask a teacher or enquire at the school office.

Unfortunately, I'm at university so I don't get Scholar! And even if I did, you need to be a teacher to get the textbooks :/
Reply 15
Unfortunately, I'm at university so I don't get Scholar! And even if I did, you need to be a teacher to get the textbooks :/

Ah, fair enough. Unfortunately we have no plans to make SCHOLAR generally available at Universities at the moment and, like you say, the SCHOLAR PDFs are only officially available to be downloaded by teachers, for the time being. Schools are also able to order printed versions of these PDFs however, which is something that we do hope to make more generally available in the future.

Hopefully, at least some of the others who have posted in this thread will be able to make full use of the resources that we provide on SCHOLAR though...
Original post by SCHOLARuk
Ah, fair enough. Unfortunately we have no plans to make SCHOLAR generally available at Universities at the moment and, like you say, the SCHOLAR PDFs are only officially available to be downloaded by teachers, for the time being. Schools are also able to order printed versions of these PDFs however, which is something that we do hope to make more generally available in the future.

Hopefully, at least some of the others who have posted in this thread will be able to make full use of the resources that we provide on SCHOLAR though...

Personally, I think one of the problems is when I was doing advanced higher maths, we weren't allowed to 'keep' the textbooks, due to the cost we could only borrow them, I think it'd be really useful if you can have online access to them - and it's a real pity you can't get access to them at university!
Personally, I think one of the problems is when I was doing advanced higher maths, we weren't allowed to 'keep' the textbooks, due to the cost we could only borrow them, I think it'd be really useful if you can have online access to them - and it's a real pity you can't get access to them at university!

I assume you're talking about the SCHOLAR textbooks? While not Physical copies, you can download them here if you want a copy.

Edit: SCHOLAR asked me to delete the link, soz brahs.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18

Printed copies of the PDFs are unfortunately quite expensive to produce. I will bring your comments up at our next meeting, but the current SCHOLAR policy of only making PDFs available to teachers is likely to remain ongoing for now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by TheFOMaster
I assume you're talking about the SCHOLAR textbooks? While not Physical copies, you can download them here if you want a copy.

As mentioned, SCHOLAR PDFs are currently only officially made available to teachers. We are aware that some PDFs have been made available online by other parties, but we would appreciate if you would delete your posted link.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending