The Student Room Group

Social Work - What happens if you don't get a statutory placement?

Hi everyone,

So I've been offered a place on an MA Social Work course. But I've been doing a lot of reading about the job market and the course. From what I can tell, there is a high chance that you can go through your course and not get a single statutory placement.

Looking at any newly qualified social work job listings it seems that every council or employer wants you to have experience in a statutory setting.

So... What happens? If you get through your course and you don't have that, are you un-employable?
Reply 1
Hi,

Not necessarily, but it can be difficult.

Even with a statutory placement it can be hard afterwards. If your placement(s) for example are in a family support team, but then you want to work in an assessment team, it can be difficult to go straight into working in that area because you're likely to be dealing with 'higher end' issues, than you would have had in family support (in many cases the family support team are working on a CAF level, or Section 17).

I was lucky in regards to placements as my first was in a voluntary setting (adults) but my final placement was in a statutory children and families setting. I know a couple of people who had voluntary setting placements for both their first and second. The universities will generally say that they only need to provide you with a placement in two different settings - it could mean that you have 2 statutory, or 2 voluntary - it's very much down to chance, but when you're asked to complete your placement forms, you should specify that you would like a statutory placement (perhaps more so for the final one, as this carries more weight). You may be able to request that you organise your own placement, so this is something you could possibly look into.

Just out of curiosity, which uni are you looking at going to?
Reply 2
Hi hope you don't mind me chipping into this thread- I was interested in your comments as I'm worried about exactly the same thing. I have a place on the MA at uea but after reading lots about the job market and placements, I get the impression it's Luck of the draw with placements and I don't want to put all that hard work into an MA and end up with 2 voluntary placements... Does it depend what university u go to?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
It is luck of the draw...

They will try to place you in a statutory at some point if they can, but they will not guarantee. It is more difficult for placements if there are two universities close to each other - like in Sheffield for example - who offer the same course with placements running at similar times.

I think it's an issue regardless of which university you go to.
Reply 4
Can I ask which university you went to? Did u study the degree or masters? Are u enjoying working as a social worker now? Sorry so many questions!!

I've got a place at UEA for the MA. They also have a college in Norwich which offer a social work BSc so I'm guessing they would both be in competition for placements. I'm currently working at a children's centre and we had a social work student work do her placement with us. My feeling is I wouldn't want a similar placement to a job I was doing before going to Uni and actually getting paid for!
Holly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hi,

I believe that stat placements are important, I graduated last year and have been to 10 job interviews and they all said the same thing. I had two mentoring charity placements and I can't apply for anything but children social work . There were students who had two stat placements who got a job straight away and it clearly shows it's important . However, I believe if you have a diverse placements then you have a better chance of finding somewhere. It's very difficult but I'm still holding out hope.
Reply 6
When I did my MA I had one voluntary and one statutory placement. I am still employed by the same authority I did my statutory placement at, albeit in a social work management role.

Yes, statutory placements are important but please don't believe they are a prerequisite for applying for social worker jobs. I have interviewed and recruited many newly qualified social workers who have done stat placements, but also just as many that didn't. What's important is how you communicate at interview and highlight your skills - this also needs to evident on the application form. If you can demonstrate enthusiasm and competency for the job then that will get you just as far. I would also recommend taking a risk and applying for jobs even if the advert specifies that statutory experience is necessary.

Please don't let this put you off.
You won't get a job without a statutory placement. I would urge anyone to wait for statutory it else your degree is worth nothing. Unless you want to work in Child Protection (which is horrid) You are unemployable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello
I would like to share my personal experience with you. Actually I have gained MA qualification in social work and I didn't have stat placements on my first and second year. I have never planned to work for a council as a social worker I was happy to develop my career in a non stat setting thus I wasn't really bothered about it. However, when I had finished my final placement and obtained my diploma in social work and started to look for job I applied for all the jobs which were available;EVERYWHERE and I was offered two jobs in child protection by Local Authorities. Good luck
Original post by Mezza362
You won't get a job without a statutory placement. I would urge anyone to wait for statutory it else your degree is worth nothing. Unless you want to work in Child Protection (which is horrid) You are unemployable.

What are you basing this information on? Are you a student or social worker?
Original post by StudentCurtis
What are you basing this information on? Are you a student or social worker?

I’ve been a qualified social worker for the last two years. I’ve never met anyone get a job as a social worker without a statutory placement.

They don’t interview people who don’t have one unless you’re willing to work in child protection.
Original post by Mezza362
I’ve been a qualified social worker for the last two years. I’ve never met anyone get a job as a social worker without a statutory placement.

They don’t interview people who don’t have one unless you’re willing to work in child protection.

Thank you for the reply. I am a third year social work student and am concerned about the placements that I have been given. In the second year I was send to a church where I did very little social work related tasks and for the third year I have been sent to an early-help setting whilst everyone else in my year has been given a staturoty placement which is what I requested as I want to do children and families social work. At my placement I do not seem to be getting much experience whilst my fellow students are going on home visits, meetings and carring out assessments and interventions whereas, I kept getting told to go to different support groups and later I will start doing assessments etc. I think the university is hindering my chances of getting employed but more importantly, my abilitiy to be a competent social worker. I have raised these complaints and the director of the course told me that no student that had an early-help placement has had difficultly being employed by a local authority social services department and that I had no choice but to continue with the placement and I am not sure what to do?
Original post by StudentCurtis
Thank you for the reply. I am a third year social work student and am concerned about the placements that I have been given. In the second year I was send to a church where I did very little social work related tasks and for the third year I have been sent to an early-help setting whilst everyone else in my year has been given a staturoty placement which is what I requested as I want to do children and families social work. At my placement I do not seem to be getting much experience whilst my fellow students are going on home visits, meetings and carring out assessments and interventions whereas, I kept getting told to go to different support groups and later I will start doing assessments etc. I think the university is hindering my chances of getting employed but more importantly, my abilitiy to be a competent social worker. I have raised these complaints and the director of the course told me that no student that had an early-help placement has had difficultly being employed by a local authority social services department and that I had no choice but to continue with the placement and I am not sure what to do?

The uni will tell you what they think you need to hear. Unless you’re willing to work in child protection or have a family member already in a social worker job who can pull a few strings for you, the reality is it is very very difficult to get a job as a social worker without a statutory placement.

It is not impossible though.

I had a statutory placement but could not drive as was told by everyone I would not get a job without a car. It did not hinder me at all.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by dbr
Hi everyone,

So I've been offered a place on an MA Social Work course. But I've been doing a lot of reading about the job market and the course. From what I can tell, there is a high chance that you can go through your course and not get a single statutory placement.

Looking at any newly qualified social work job listings it seems that every council or employer wants you to have experience in a statutory setting.

So... What happens? If you get through your course and you don't have that, are you un-employable?

you can use an agency to get you into a statutory placement, like you, i had little to no stat experience, and got the job because of lack of staff available perhaps this is true, and because of how I presented my cv- explaining all the things I did which were near enough statutory.

Quick Reply