The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature June 2014 predictions

I am fairly new to the forum, and saw that for last year's exams predictions had been posted. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I study Relationships poetry, Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls.

For Poetry, I think it will be To His Coy Mistress and Ghazal. For Of Mice and Men, there is a strong possibility that it could be on Curley, or Euthanasia. For An Inspector Calls, Arthur Birling hasn't cropped up yet, neither has public image and hypocrisy.

Scroll to see replies

i agree with you about the relationship cluster
as those 2 are the only ones that haven't come up yet:
june 2011- manhunt and nettles
jan 2012- sonnet 43 and harmonium
june 2012- quickdraw and praise song for my mother
june 2013- sonnet 116 and born yesterday
These DEFINITELY won't come(higher tier): brothers, sister maude, in paris with you

to his coy mistress- literary heritage
Ghazal- contemporary poem
Reply 2
Original post by ScarletXxXRose
These DEFINITELY won't come(higher tier): brothers, sister maude, in paris with you

Feel like I'm missing something here, but why won't those poems come up? I have absolutely no idea what poems and questions will come up sorry :s-smilie: Just wanted to ask that, and display my excitement that we are doing the same poems and books, wahey! Do you have any advice on how to revise for the papers? I'm really scared for them, because I just don't know how to make revision notes and how to revise for them, cos the books are so big and there are so many poems ahh :s-smilie: sorry for that breakdown there, but yeah any advice guys?
Original post by VetMedKid
Feel like I'm missing something here, but why won't those poems come up? I have absolutely no idea what poems and questions will come up sorry :s-smilie: Just wanted to ask that, and display my excitement that we are doing the same poems and books, wahey! Do you have any advice on how to revise for the papers? I'm really scared for them, because I just don't know how to make revision notes and how to revise for them, cos the books are so big and there are so many poems ahh :s-smilie: sorry for that breakdown there, but yeah any advice guys?

aqa said that in the higher tier, those poems won't come up in the teacher's manual
for the poetry exam, i'm using bitesize and 'mr bruff's youtube channel'
for mice of men, i keep reading the book over and over (i like reading), so that in the exam, i can waste less time looking for quotes. Also making as many notes as i can for the characters, themes and languages- and trying to find at least 2 unique points for each character.
i'm actually doing the crucible:frown: (not inspector calls) but they're both plays (i think), all i'm doing is picking out 4-5 relevant quotes for each topic the exam could ask and planning out answers for them (not completely writing them out-that's too long)
Reply 4

aqa said that in the higher tier, those poems won't come up in the teacher's manual
for mice of men, i keep reading the book over and over (i like reading), so that in the exam, i can waste less time looking for quotes. Also making as many notes as i can for the characters, themes and languages- and trying to find at least 2 unique points for each character.
i'm actually doing the crucible:frown: (not inspector calls) but they're both plays (i think), all i'm doing is picking out 4-5 relevant quotes for each topic the exam could ask and planning out answers for them (not completely writing them out-that's too long)

For all revision, I do practise essays and with poetry I do essays and make notes in a table with columns, What?, Why? (Opinions of poet), How? (Form, Structure and Language) and How does it make you feel?.

For An Inspector Calls, the structure is simple: first description, characteristics, interactions with other characters, how he develops/changes, what he learns and conclusion. Easy way to get 30/30.
It is usually a character, a theme of a scene. There is always a character option: Mr Birling is the only main character to not make an appearance, also Eva hasn't I don't think.

Of Mice and Men is not so simple. I HATE the extract question, but it's good in a sense because you don't have to know much for knowledge, only have 5 or 6 generic points and you can easy make an A/A* essay. The best thing to do is to guess it. I have a hunch it will be Curley and Power/Authoirty or Carlson and Euthanasia, something along those lines.

To get an A*, I'd buy the Phillip Allan revision guides: they help a lot. I've got them. In Year 10, I got a C in my English Lit exam, in my mock, overall I ended up on the two papers with 112 out 122, and combined with my coursework, 152 out of 162. On Last year's boundaries, I'd get full UMS. Buy them. You won't regret it.
Reply 5
Original post by iWillWalker23
For all revision, I do practise essays and with poetry I do essays and make notes in a table with columns, What?, Why? (Opinions of poet), How? (Form, Structure and Language) and How does it make you feel?.

For An Inspector Calls, the structure is simple: first description, characteristics, interactions with other characters, how he develops/changes, what he learns and conclusion. Easy way to get 30/30.
It is usually a character, a theme of a scene. There is always a character option: Mr Birling is the only main character to not make an appearance, also Eva hasn't I don't think.

Of Mice and Men is not so simple. I HATE the extract question, but it's good in a sense because you don't have to know much for knowledge, only have 5 or 6 generic points and you can easy make an A/A* essay. The best thing to do is to guess it. I have a hunch it will be Curley and Power/Authoirty or Carlson and Euthanasia, something along those lines.

To get an A*, I'd buy the Phillip Allan revision guides: they help a lot. I've got them. In Year 10, I got a C in my English Lit exam, in my mock, overall I ended up on the two papers with 112 out 122, and combined with my coursework, 152 out of 162. On Last year's boundaries, I'd get full UMS. Buy them. You won't regret it.

Thank you so much! I will check them out now, but that advice was great and really helped to sum everything up in a paragraph or 2 :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you so much! I will check them out now, but that advice was great and really helped to sum everything up in a paragraph or 2 :smile:

No problems. For of mice and men again, make 5 or 6 points about the extract, then 5 or 6 with the rest of the novel, and then a couple of paragraphs about social relevance then and now; and also your personal connection with Of Mice and Men (it's cheesy, but unfortunately part of the mark scheme :frown: )
Reply 7

Are you very sure that to his coy mistress and ghazal would come up because thats all im revising right now
Reply 8
Original post by iWillWalker23
I am fairly new to the forum, and saw that for last year's exams predictions had been posted. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I study Relationships poetry, Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls.

For Poetry, I think it will be To His Coy Mistress and Ghazal. For Of Mice and Men, there is a strong possibility that it could be on Curley, or Euthanasia. For An Inspector Calls, Arthur Birling hasn't cropped up yet, neither has public image and hypocrisy.

wait i dont get it does that mean that arthur birling would come up because i still havent revised inspector calls and i need heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelppppppppppp
Reply 9

Can you please send me an A* analysis of the question

How does steinbeck present curley in of mice and men?:smile::biggrin:
Original post by kitty12345
Are you very sure that to his coy mistress and ghazal would come up because thats all im revising right now

im pretty sure about it but i'm not 100% certain.
i've just made an educated guess
but i would still revise the other poems because you'll need another poem to compare it with
Reply 11
Any predictions for conflict?
Reply 12
Anyone doing 'To Kill A Mockingbird', 'The Crucible' and 'Character and Voice' for the poetry?
Reply 13
I'm doing An inspector calls Of Mice and Men and poems from place

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
did you take into account the january 2014 exams, and if so can anyone tell me what they were so i can use them to make a generic guess into what to revise?
A tip for everyone doing English Literature this year: look up MrBruff on YouTube. I know absolutely nothing about English Literature but he got me full marks in the poetry section.
Original post by AlphaNick
Hi, could you link a source or refer to somewhere which says the part I highlighted in bold?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjObjRSpFMw
Original post by milkman123
did you take into account the january 2014 exams, and if so can anyone tell me what they were so i can use them to make a generic guess into what to revise?

there's no more january exams,
the most recent past exams were the june 2013
Reply 18
I'm doing the crucible and my teacher gave us a full booklet of every single question that could come up! :smile:
Predictions for Kindertransport?!

Quick Reply

Latest