The Student Room Group

Is society male dominated?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quady
:biggrin:
Because I'd never seen you on any of the politics/current affairs/money forums, so I wondered where you spent your time if you were interested in those things (as you asserted).

If someone says 'women don't like to get involved in politics and heated debates about taxes' and they are challenged with a simple 'speak for yourself' its a fair challenge back if they have no history of an interest in debating those things.

My experience of the UK Politics forum is its 90-95% male, UK money I haven't really noticed so its probably around 50/50. I've little/no experience of the clothes/shoes/accessories but would I be wrong in saying its majority female?

The clothes one isn't really relavent to your post but the UK Politics one is. If women were as interested as men as you say they'd frequent the forum.

I'm part of the UK Youth Parliament and have been for years. I'd like to think that speaks for itself in terms of

You do realise there's a world outside the TSR? You should frequent it more often. TSR does not necessarily reflect society (and thank god it doesn't). I know I certainly get deterred from even bothering to post when it is seemingly full of women hating right wingers (although that may just be the society forum). As to the clothes being female dominated I wouldn't know I only really post in the 'Male Fashion' post.....

I'd also argue that my clothes comment is relevant. I see no problem in me wanting to come on to a forum and want to talk about clothes instead of politics and money things I already debate during the day at school and within my various organisations. I like clothes and I like politics, they're not mutually exclusive.
Reply 41
Original post by Sherry1993
x.

Everything you've said has been on point :yy:
Reply 42
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
I'm part of the UK Youth Parliament and have been for years. I'd like to think that speaks for itself in terms of

You do realise there's a world outside the TSR? You should frequent it more often. TSR does not necessarily reflect society (and thank god it doesn't). I know I certainly get deterred from even bothering to post when it is seemingly full of women hating right wingers (although that may just be the society forum). As to the clothes being female dominated I wouldn't know I only really post in the 'Male Fashion' post.....

I'd also argue that my clothes comment is relevant. I see no problem in me wanting to come on to a forum and want to talk about clothes instead of politics and money things I already debate during the day at school and within my various organisations. I like clothes and I like politics, they're not mutually exclusive.

Ever heard of being overly defensive? Seems to have hit a nerve :smile:
I think that it is less male dominated than say 30 years ago but still overall men dominate most professions, politics and many other walks of life.
Reply 44
Feminism is embarrassing these days, or these decades, it's been going on far longer than it needed to go on for - if there are any problems with equality today it's against men; women have legal perks, men don't have that, and if there are any cultural perks, women have the same amount of them. feminism ultimately today is statism in panties. it's authoritarianism, it's collectivism. it doesn't treat us as individuals, it treats us as "good people (women)" and "bad people (everybody else)". but this is just my view.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Quady
Ever heard of being overly defensive? Seems to have hit a nerve :smile:

Think what you will. Believe what you will. But I am done with people attacking me for having diverse interests and for not bowing down to men. I apologise if you felt I was criticising you in anyway.
Reply 46
Yes & no. It is, but entirely because both genders play up to it.

For example, girls still expect men to take the lead in all romantic matters - only a minority will ever consider approaching a guy first, something which harks back to the animal kingdom -.-

However guys play up to this and go along with it.

Then there are jobs. Women tend to be in far less powerful positions than men, and far less have decent careers. But if you look at what they study during highschool/college/university, there's the answer.

But no one brings this up.

I just think it's a complete mess. Women have let it become male dominated by not taking the lead in anything and letting the men peacock for them.
Original post by Quady
Hmmmmm

You have 20x more posts on 'clothes, shoes and accessories' than 'money and finance' and 'UK Politics' put together. Relationships scored even more highly...

University of Oxford (121)
Chat (61)
Relationships (54)
Society (52)
Clothes, shoes and accessories (40)
Law (36)
TV shows (30)
Travel (7)
Money and finance (1)
Sport (1)
UK politics (1)

Thats not your complete post history, I took out pointless ones like 'GCSEs', but it doesn't help you come accross as someone interested in political debate or taxes... or labouring for that matter (unless you consider Lawyers getting the odd punch as 'labour')

Are you offering a post analysis to all women on the thread?

-------------------

Male dominance is clearly the case in media representation: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/node/665208/modal?parent=664573

---------------

In response to the posts belittling "women's work" and "women's hobbies" - this is exactly the sort of problematic value judgement that feminism is fighting now that the in law we're equal.

The activities many women enjoy are not worth less than the the activities many men enjoy - political debate is not superior to fashion.

Likewise "caring" jobs are not easy or worth less than jobs where men currently dominate

Perpetuating this bull**** not only devalues the contribution of women to society it puts social stigma on any man who wants to enjoy these things or pursue a career in these fields (or who doesn't fulfil the bs stereotype of what a man should be).

At risk of repeating myself: patriarchy hurts us all.
Reply 48
Original post by sevchenko
Society isn't dominated by males it's dominated by white westerner males. If your not a western white man your definitely going to face adversity and discrimination in life.

This!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by PQ
Are you offering a post analysis to all women on the thread?

-------------------

Male dominance is clearly the case in media representation: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/node/665208/modal?parent=664573

---------------

In response to the posts belittling "women's work" and "women's hobbies" - this is exactly the sort of problematic value judgement that feminism is fighting now that the in law we're equal.

The activities many women enjoy are not worth less than the the activities many men enjoy - political debate is not superior to fashion.

Likewise "caring" jobs are not easy or worth less than jobs where men currently dominate

Perpetuating this bull**** not only devalues the contribution of women to society it puts social stigma on any man who wants to enjoy these things or pursue a career in these fields (or who doesn't fulfil the bs stereotype of what a man should be).

At risk of repeating myself: patriarchy hurts us all.

Only to those who say they really like things that TSR has forums for.

I didn't say it was superior, just the poster said they liked political debate, the ratio of posts suggests thats not the case.

Yes it would, had I said anything like that...
Reply 50
Think what you will. Believe what you will. But I am done with people attacking me for having diverse interests and for not bowing down to men. I apologise if you felt I was criticising you in anyway.

I'd only feel criticised if you think I'd attacked you for not 'bowing down to men'...
Original post by Quady
Only to those who say they really like things that TSR has forums for.

I didn't say it was superior, just the poster said they liked political debate, the ratio of posts suggests thats not the case.

Yes it would, had I said anything like that...

Sorry - posting from my ****ty new phone. Only the bit above the first line was directed at you. The second part was to the OP the third a more general response to some posts on the thread (although you were getting a bit overly smug about someone posting in fashion forums - who's to say the level of debate in there isn't higher than in here (:wink:) they're forums I avoid at all cost so I have no idea (but just because something isn't to my taste doesn't mean I need to belittle it)
Lets see, some of the most important areas of society: education, healthcare and social care, are fields dominated by women.

Men continue to dominate areas where money is earnt, but areas that affect most people, women tend to have more influence.

If we where surely we would have more woman in parliment?
Surely our Royal family (which for the past however many years has been headed by females) would still be running the country, but the buck was passed onto goverment where it is headed by males.

This is the stupidest thing I've ever read.
Reply 54
Original post by PQ

Of course Political debates are more superior to fashion. I care less about politics than I do about fashion, Personally I dont care for many political debates, but I still understand it superiority to fashion.
Jesus.

The problem now is that feminism is not about having equal rights at all, like another poster said its about being female dominated, which doesnt work, and nor will it ever work. Emotionally we cannot cope in the same way as a male, due to biology and hormones we are not built in the same way as a male.
Reply 55
Original post by Classical Liberal
Lets see, some of the most important areas of society: education, healthcare and social care, are fields dominated by women.

Men continue to dominate areas where money is earnt, but areas that affect most people, women tend to have more influence.

The governing body of education is headed by males, the teaching is dominated by females, but most schools/colleges etc are actually headed by a man.

Healthcare & Social care- Most consultants, surgeons, GP's, CEO's of private companies, managing directors etc are males. Nurses and healthcare receptionists are female.

So over all it is male dominated. with woman in the less superior role.
Reply 56
Original post by geoking
Yes & no. It is, but entirely because both genders play up to it.

For example, girls still expect men to take the lead in all romantic matters - only a minority will ever consider approaching a guy first, something which harks back to the animal kingdom -.-

However guys play up to this and go along with it.

Then there are jobs. Women tend to be in far less powerful positions than men, and far less have decent careers. But if you look at what they study during highschool/college/university, there's the answer.

But no one brings this up.

I just think it's a complete mess. Women have let it become male dominated by not taking the lead in anything and letting the men peacock for them.

:yy:
Reply 57
Original post by Captain Haddock
This is the stupidest thing I've ever read.

So it was a very vague example, but if you look into that issue more, then you will see.
Reply 58

If what you are saying, you actually believe is true that we as woman do not bow down to the man, then why is it you are getting so deffensive and almost aggresvie over it?

Surely if it was the case, you would have no reason to defend your arguement so much because you would 'know' that the rest of us are just being uneducated towards the world where woman superiority exists?

I never once ment in a literal way that you would, fall to your knees and present yourself in front of a man with his breakfast in one hand, whilst polishing his shoes in the other, but what I do believe in, is that masculine and femine roles are still there, society doesnt want to see woman in parliment, society doesnt want a female carpenter turning up to fit their kitchen.

Woman will never change the world, nor will they ever lead.
The question was not about being equal, like I said before in terms of equal rights, yes it is equal. we have the same rules and laws and advantages as a male.

The question is, is society male 'dominated' and to that the answer is yes.
Reply 59
Of course Political debates are more superior to fashion. I care less about politics than I do about fashion, Personally I dont care for many political debates, but I still understand it superiority to fashion.
Jesus.

The problem now is that feminism is not about having equal rights at all, like another poster said its about being female dominated, which doesnt work, and nor will it ever work. Emotionally we cannot cope in the same way as a male, due to biology and hormones we are not built in the same way as a male.

For lack of a better phrase:
****in' A

A major issue modern feminism has is that they no longer want equal rights, but they want to be the same as men. There is no science out there that suggests men and women are just as capable as one another at every task in life. On average women are more emotional and men are physically stronger. Modern feminism has decided to almost villianise anyone who wants to embrace their natural differences as defined by their sex, forcing us to believe what is frankly a complete lie instead.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending