The Student Room Group

Is Britain Rascist? Romanian government snubs posibility of mass migration.

A news story in the FT today stated that although the Bulgarians and Romanians have gained the same rights to work in the UK as other EU citizens there is unlikely to be a mass exodus due to Britain being snubbed as racist.

The anti-immigration stance that has dominated British media and political discussion in recent months appears to have made a big impact in Romania...

Do you feel comfortable with Britain being labelled a racist on the world-stage? Is this a fair representation of the country we are today?

Scroll to see replies

"Britain" =/= bias media opinion.
Reply 2
Racist? Isn't there a degree of racism in every country?
Reply 3
I would wager that Romania and Bulgaria are more racist (in the true sense of the word) than Britain.
(edited 10 years ago)
The media in Britain have been awful on this topic. There have been a huge amount of headlines of the form 'Romanian thief' or 'Bulgarian scrounger', which deliberately try to push negative stereotype of all Romanians and Bulgarians.

If it isn't racist itself, it's causing racism all in the name of selling newspapers.

I would say Britain is, if not racist, incredibly unwelcoming to Eastern Europeans so the comments from the world stage are fair enough
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
The Liberal Totalitarians have already labelled everyone in the country "racist" who disagrees with extreme multiculturalism and mass open door immigration leading to race replacement of the indigenous white British population, the term has been so devalued as a result that I don't see why anyone would care about the country being labelled "racist" unless they were also a Liberal Totalitarian.
Reply 6
how is it racist when both british and romanian people are white? we're racist against ourselves now? that takes self-loathing in this country to a whole new level
Original post by thesabbath
The Liberal Totalitarians have already labelled everyone in the country "racist" who disagrees with extreme multiculturalism and mass open door immigration leading to race replacement of the indigenous white British population, the term has been so devalued as a result that I don't see why anyone would care about the country being labelled "racist" unless they were also a Liberal Totalitarian.

I think there's a distinction between changing policy toward open immigration, and some of the reporting that's branded all Eastern Europeans as thieves and undesirables. The former is not necessarily racist, the latter probably is
Reply 8
Original post by Professor Oak
I think there's a distinction between changing policy toward open immigration, and some of the reporting that's branded all Eastern Europeans as thieves and undesirables. The former is not necessarily racist, the latter probably is

Do you have some examples of the reporting you're talking about? It is always worrying when facts are labelled racist.
did you see this from Channel 4 News about students and whether they think the UK is racist? http://www.channel4.com/news/is-the-uk-a-racist-country
Why are immigrants telling Britain what their immigration policy should be ?

White British are already a minority in London. Do we have to wait until they become 1% of London before we say, there's a problem here.
Original post by jen42362131261
did you see this from Channel 4 News about students and whether they think the UK is racist? http://www.channel4.com/news/is-the-uk-a-racist-country

The only racism in Britain is happening against white people who are seeing their culture, language and country being destroyed.
Original post by democracyforum
The only racism in Britain is happening against white people who are seeing their culture, language and country being destroyed.

Sorry m8 but what culture? Going out and getting wrecko on a Friday night isn't going to be threatened by the prospect of immigrants.
Reply 13
Bit late FT - that we're gradually gaining a reputation as xenophobic bigots is hardly news.

I'm not sure racist is the right word, but yes the claims that millions of romanians were going to flock to britain the second they were allowed was laughably arrogant and the reputation is entirely justified. Which is a shame because in terms of actual racial tolerance I don't think we're that bad.
Reply 14
Let's ask the Native American Red Indians what they think of immigration.
It is in no way "racist" to want to restrict immigration in the same way that almost every country in the world does. The word is used and abused all the time in cases where it isn't even relevant. The key is the word "racist" - it must be based on race for there to be any genuine racism concerns.

Wanting to end to the sort of uncontrolled immigration we get from the EU is sensible, we are an island and there is only so much land. We are already an overly urbanised country and we already import around 40% of our food. I don't think unrestricted immigration is a good idea in that situation. Personally I see immigration as part of the population growth issue. Race comes into this nowhere.
Concerns about exacerbating unemployment are also legitimate concerns to have about immigration when we're talking about unrestricted EU migration, though it's not the main one for me.

However, wanting to control immigration because you just don't like Eastern Europeans or you don't like black people who come from Africa would be racist. You don't tend to see true racism very often.
Reply 16
To be fair, I'd rather Britain be seen as racist by people who'll be a long way away as a result of this perception, than be seen as accepting and flooded with the buggers.
Reply 17
I'd rather have some Left-wing Pro-Europe babble about how awful we are than another flood of unskilled labour. If a few unsavory newspaper articles are all it takes for us to combat the EU mandated immigration rules then let's keep them printing!
Original post by deehee
Let's ask the Native American Red Indians what they think of immigration.

Don't forget the Aborigines.
Original post by Kruz
Don't forget the Aborigines.

Don't forget the British.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending