The Student Room Group

How to write faster in exams with out messing up my handwriting?

I've got an exam this week, I've studied really hard for it. But there's one problem. When it comes to doing the past papers, I don't write fast enough. If I write faster my handwriting becomes messy and unreadable. I know and understand the information, but can you give me any tips on how to write faster in exams with out messing up my handwriting?
Reply 1
Bumping this because I have the same problem.
Original post by Lea:)
I've got an exam this week, I've studied really hard for it. But there's one problem. When it comes to doing the past papers, I don't write fast enough. If I write faster my handwriting becomes messy and unreadable. I know and understand the information, but can you give me any tips on how to write faster in exams with out messing up my handwriting?

There's not much you can do. I felt like I wouldn't have enough time because of past papers at A-Level but you get into the room and you're kind of driven by adrenaline and it automatically makes you write faster. What type of writing do you have? If you join your letters, it's probably time to stop doing that now..
Reply 3
Buy a good pen! There are these "Zebra" pens which literally glide on the paper when you write
Reply 4
I bought a zebra pen their really good. Thanks for the advice guys. I finished that exam with about 3 mins to spare :biggrin: xxx
Original post by und3niable_
There's not much you can do. I felt like I wouldn't have enough time because of past papers at A-Level but you get into the room and you're kind of driven by adrenaline and it automatically makes you write faster. What type of writing do you have? If you join your letters, it's probably time to stop doing that now..

I find joint writing faster?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hold the pen between your index finger and middle finger. It cramps less muscles but it takes a while to get used to. Everyone should have a go! I find I don't have to use as much pressure but I agree it doesn't work for some.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
A good pen does help. Spending some money on a good pen that aids you in the exam, can really pay dividends in the long term.

I find a fountain pen to be the best. It's smooth, without the inconsistency and lightness of a rollerball.
Original post by JennaEmBee
Hold the pen between your index finger and middle finger. It cramps less muscles but it takes a while to get used to. Everyone should have a go! I find I don't have to use as much pressure but I agree it doesn't work for some.

All my teachers used to tell me off for writing like that but I just can't seem to write the 'normal' way you're meant to write, I thought I was the only one!
I finish all my exams in about half the provided time :K:.
I have the same problem, could it be your handwriting?
Original post by Lea:)

Write with a Bic or any other ballpoint pen (do not use a fountain pen!) and practice taking notes fast in class. I guarantee it will train you for exams! :smile: And also know your stuff well so that you won't waste time during exams thinking too deeply about a question. If you do all these things, you shoud be fine.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Really good advice thanks, I think I'm going to practice writing faster, I think it would benefit my grades a lot :yy:
Original post by Olympiad
I find joint writing faster?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loads of people do, but their exam writing is horrible and usually unreadable. I feel sorry for examiners! :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest